Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does UA need a UX?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
I'd rather pay a bit more on my ticket and allow the pilots to make a good living. I know it's not that simple, but I don't view the mainline pilot salary as that far out of line for the experience they have, as well as their responsibility.

Getting tired of the growing gap between executive salary and worker salary.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Pilots are in what is commonly called a 'prestige profession'

UX crew are paid a lot less, because UX CAN. They can get candidates lined up to fly regionals, who are all hoping to accumulate flight hours to move up to mainline and both more bucks and better lifestyle.

Much like in medicine, the profession isn't limited by the number of people who can fly a 777, but by the work path to the hours necessary to get into the left seat. I got into a P* match with a pilot on here once when I asserted that they don't have skills beyond a large range of other professions, whatever.

Of course, if Im having a brain procedure, or my PIC is dropping a 777 into old HKG airport, Ill take the best, thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by johnmont:21690987
I'd rather pay a bit more on my ticket and allow the pilots to make a good living. I know it's not that simple, but I don't view the mainline pilot salary as that far out of line for the experience they have, as well as their responsibility.

+1. I'd pay more and in my spending habits, I do pay more to companies that are socially responsible to their communities & their employees. In fact, I just (only minutes ago) went to a 'local' store where I knew I'd pay more. Ironically there was a note on the door that they had gone out of business.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by johnmont

If there are wage increases to be done in the name of social justice it would be on UX, not mainline. See the reports on COLGAN 3407 incident to get a handle on that. That was a personal one for me since:

1 I sat next to the FO the week before and talked shop
2 I lost a high school friend in the cabin
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by DXjr
I agree with your first sentence, but the rest of this quote negates anything said in it. If the number of lives at stake was NOT the issue when it comes to earning a paycheck, then the crews flying the 747 would be perfectly happy to be paid just as much as those crews flying the A319, but that's certainly NOT the case. The number of seats on the plane has always been the bottom-line basis of pay negotiations throughtout the years, so why, then, is it such a tragedy then when the same thought process is applied to regionals? If you do the math, on a per-seat basis regional pilots are actually overpaid compared to their mainline bretheren.
I probably should have left this as a stand-alone sentence then, so I'll say it again: The problem isn't that mainline pilots cost too much, it's that express pilots aren't paid enough.

I know that the market drives the paycheck, and we get paid what we negotiate, not what we're worth. Maybe the way I should have said it is that they're worth more in comparison to what they're paid than are mainline pilots.

Of course there is a difference between a small airplane and a large one. The big one generates more revenue, or more expense. They're both flown by people that can't screw up, though. I believe that express pilots are underpaid to a greater extent than mainline pilots in general.

And what are we worth? Depends, doesn't it? When we're cruising along with the autopilot on, 20 minutes before even the next waypoint, it's not a tough gig. But setting up for a CAT III approach in crappy weather, then landing on a short slimy runway with a max limit crosswind, it goes up. Or dealing with an situation that takes all that training and experience and puts it to the test, and the passenger never knows. And it goes up even more than that other times.

What's a doctor worth? Depends on if he or she playing golf on Wednesday, or prepping to remove a brain tumor from your kid's head. Same guy or gal either way. Perspective.

For me, what it gets down to in this discussion is that I think pilots (and everyone else) should be paid for their skill, knowledge, and expertise, not for what they're doing for you or not at any given moment. Some people see it that way, most don't.

FAB
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freshairborne
I probably should have left this as a stand-alone sentence then, so I'll say it again: The problem isn't that mainline pilots cost too much, it's that express pilots aren't paid enough.

I know that the market drives the paycheck, and we get paid what we negotiate, not what we're worth. Maybe the way I should have said it is that they're worth more in comparison to what they're paid than are mainline pilots.

Of course there is a difference between a small airplane and a large one. The big one generates more revenue, or more expense. They're both flown by people that can't screw up, though. I believe that express pilots are underpaid to a greater extent than mainline pilots in general.

And what are we worth? Depends, doesn't it? When we're cruising along with the autopilot on, 20 minutes before even the next waypoint, it's not a tough gig. But setting up for a CAT III approach in crappy weather, then landing on a short slimy runway with a max limit crosswind, it goes up. Or dealing with an situation that takes all that training and experience and puts it to the test, and the passenger never knows. And it goes up even more than that other times.

What's a doctor worth? Depends on if he or she playing golf on Wednesday, or prepping to remove a brain tumor from your kid's head. Same guy or gal either way. Perspective.

For me, what it gets down to in this discussion is that I think pilots (and everyone else) should be paid for their skill, knowledge, and expertise, not for what they're doing for you or not at any given moment. Some people see it that way, most don't.

FAB
Capt. Sullenberger definitely earned his paycheck when he landed in the Hudson River.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Quote:

FAB

Capt. Sullenberger definitely earned his paycheck when he landed in the Hudson River.
I'd say so. And it could have been any one of us in his shoes, and the outcome would probably have been the same.

FAB
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say so. And it could have been any one of us in his shoes, and the outcome would probably have been the same.

FAB
Yes, I agree with that. You are all extremely well trained.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
The market disagrees with you.

The market also says mainline pilots are paid too much, but federal law prevents mainline pilot wages from being set by the market.

Fact of the matter is there are a lot more people out there who dream of being pilots than there are pilot jobs available. That should normally mean relatively low wages for the job.
The market doesn't say that at all, mainline pilots make less than they did in the 80's. And what federal law prevents mainline pilot wages being set by the market? When the market dried up after 9/11 and the economic dump, United went into Bankruptcy and cut my pay by 45% and took away my pension, there was no federal law stopping that from happening.

I got my first raise this year since 2002, name me another industry where employees go over a decade before a raise? So we're hardly overpaid, we still make less than Delta and the cargo carrier pilots. Once American/US Air do their contract and Delta does their new one next year, we'll be the lowest paid once again.

I dreamed of being a doctor, guess what that made me? A dreamer. Until I went to med school, residency, and all the other hoops you have to go through to be a doctor, I was not a doctor, nor was I qualified to talk about their wages and benefits. Until you spend the $200,000, get all your ratings and thousands of hours experience so you can maybe get a major airline job, it'll still be a dream for you. Pony up the dough, go get a job making $20k a year for the next 8-10 years and maybe you can come be a major airline pilot and help drive down the wages as you say. See you in 12-15 years.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Oct 29, 2013 at 9:25 pm
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
An interesting thing about UX, and I wished I knew the numbers. When I did the UA tour a few weeks ago they told us there is obviously no cargo carried, but no mail either, which I guess can normally be a decent rev source. Also they said on a full flight, often all bags don't fit. I wonder what that costs to re-unite bags, assuming the pax flys to their destination and now a contractor has to deliver them. In markets where UX has say a 6x daily freq, wouldn't it be better to run 3 mainline and get cargo and mail rev, not to mention get the people the avoid RJ's at most costs, instead of the 6 RJ flts.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Regionals on a race to the bottom is not good for the industry, the employees, nor the pax. This will end badly.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by asphaltman
An interesting thing about UX, and I wished I knew the numbers. When I did the UA tour a few weeks ago they told us there is obviously no cargo carried, but no mail either, which I guess can normally be a decent rev source. Also they said on a full flight, often all bags don't fit. I wonder what that costs to re-unite bags, assuming the pax flys to their destination and now a contractor has to deliver them. In markets where UX has say a 6x daily freq, wouldn't it be better to run 3 mainline and get cargo and mail rev, not to mention get the people the avoid RJ's at most costs, instead of the 6 RJ flts.
I often don't have a choice. CMH - EWR, no mainline. CMH - IAD, no mainline. CMH - ORD, no mainline for early flights. CMH - IAH, no mainline. CMH - DEN, again, early flights don't have mainline. I can't avoid RJs. So I avoid routes with 145s.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asphaltman
If flying half as many flights on planes twice the size was potentially more profitable, then I have to think that AA, DL and US would be doing exactly that, even if Smisek is too stupid/stubborn to see the reality.

Actually, Delta has announced that its plan with its new 717s (the AirTran 717s that WN said it would keep but then changed its mind at huge expense) is that they will replace 50-seaters on a "capacity-neutral basis." I'm skeptical that actually happens, but maybe in some markets with 6-8-10 RJs a day, some 717s do replace pairs of RJ flights.

Thing is, business travelers generally value frequency over everything else, and flying a half-empty RJ is significantly cheaper than flying a half-empty mainline plane (trip costs).

Cargo? Mail? As I pointed out earlier, cargo and mail revenue is declining and in general, its importance is vastly over-stated, both by the online community and by big-talking airline employees. Passenger airlines are getting almost as much money from checked bag fees as cargo/mail revenue. And every pound of cargo/mail increases the fuel burn, and at $3/gal for jet fuel, the old but common nonsense about cargo revenue being pure profit is but an ignorant fantasy.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Cargo? Mail? As I pointed out earlier, cargo and mail revenue is declining and in general, its importance is vastly over-stated, both by the online community and by big-talking airline employees. Passenger airlines are getting almost as much money from checked bag fees as cargo/mail revenue. And every pound of cargo/mail increases the fuel burn, and at $3/gal for jet fuel, the old but common nonsense about cargo revenue being pure profit is but an ignorant fantasy.
Many carriers have stopped flying mail altogether due to the USPS's rules and regulations regarding its carriage, and the fines you got if they weren't followed to the T. Some carriers actually LOST money carrying mail. Sometimes, I found the postal inspectors more intrusive than the TSA ever was.

Regional aircraft are fully capable of carrying regular cargo, and did carry a lot of mail at one time; just not as much as mainine could because of cargo bin door size or bin capacity. Nowadays, though, due to regulations and security, it's usually just animals and SPDs.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by DXjr
Many carriers have stopped flying mail altogether due to the USPS's rules and regulations regarding its carriage, and the fines you got if they weren't followed to the T. Some carriers actually LOST money carrying mail. Sometimes, I found the postal inspectors more intrusive than the TSA ever was.

Regional aircraft are fully capable of carrying regular cargo, and did carry a lot of mail at one time; just not as much as mainine could because of cargo bin door size or bin capacity. Nowadays, though, due to regulations and security, it's usually just animals and SPDs.
This sounds like the typical United management spheel where they say there's no money in cargo, stop trying for the USPS contract, start flying planes on routes they can't carry cargo, and then a year later, "Hey, how come all our competitors are making so much money on the same routes we are?" Oh, they're carrying loads of cargo which helps make up for less revenue whether bodies or fares. So the next year they go for the cargo contracts again and change routes from a 777 to a -400 so they can carry the cargo, etc etc etc...

One only has to look at Fed Ex and UPS and their revenue production to know there IS money in cargo, and it makes sense for airlines to have those contracts and make money carrying cargo where they're going anyways. Regional jets have little room for cargo carrying since almost every bag is checked compared to the mainline aircraft.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Oct 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.