Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is UA the old Pan Am

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by jjclancy
SQ and CX seem to do pretty well with zero domestic service.
CX operates a bunch of domestic routes such as HKG-PVG, HKG-PEK and HKG-CDU.

Back in the good old days prior to '97 they used to operate a domestic route HKG-LHR
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was a PAM AM flyer before I flew United, therefore, I have a hard time understanding OP's assertion.

I lived in Miami for a long time where PAM AM had significant presence until it folded. I would argue PAM AM during its peak (or low) were quite different from United anytime in the past 30 years.

United was the first airlines to serve all 50 States of US, did not start its first international flight until the 1983 (SEA-NRT), and PAM AM was essentially all international with no significant domestic traffic until it bought National in 1980.

As we looked at the history of both airlines since 1990 until Pam Am folded in 1991, nowhere had they ever been remotely comparable.

Interesting about the RJ argument, my MIA-IAD flight in December has just upgraded from RJ to A319.^
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:45 pm

Since my only 'real' experience with the old PA was through the 'realistic' TV show a couple of years ago about PA. I am certain that UA is no PA based on the airline experiences I witnessed on that show! :-P
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For those of you who say UA flies only Barbie Dream Jets domestically...I'm pretty sure that my ORD-SFO flight is on a 777 tomorrow. Hope my upgrade clears.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Singapore and Hong Kong are single-city states. Non sequitur of the day award!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by bcj1949
UA bought Pan Am's pacific routes so there is the tie. One reason PA went under was lack of a domestic network. I see same for new UA. Building up international but down gauging domestic. I like UA but now reluctantly my third domestic choice due to poor connections and too many RJs. Am I alone?
I had to come out of FT retirement for this. I almost fell off my chair ( laughing)

The old Pan Am would be a combination of United + Delta.

If you take
UA at SFO/LAX/ORD/IAD/NRT/HKG/GUM

and DL at JFK

And what used to be UA at MIA ( MIA used to be a hub) and UA at JFK (yes the old JFK operation)

You would get the old Pan Am (for the most part)

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
UA later bought PA's LHR authority. DL then bought PA's NE Shuttle and Atlantic routes including the FRA hub and domestic German routes in/out Berlin. Pan Am kept flying, and it ultimately failed when DL decided to lend no more $ to keep the rest of Pan Am operating. UA then picked up PA's Latin America routes in bankruptcy court for cheap.

I'd rather talk about this than the ridiculous premise brought by OP.
And later closed MIA for good. What a waste.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 28, 2013 at 12:59 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by BearX220
And when the United States shrinks down to 25 miles across and one airport, yours will be a useful comparison.
LOTD!!

The people who pining for old panam forget that was the tail end of when fat old white guys flew and gawked at the 25 year old FAs. Capitalism killed that
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
LOTD!!

..... when fat old white guys flew and gawked at the 25 year old FAs.
Now it's the other way around!!!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:10 am

This is a funny thread. Pan Am had almost NO domestic flights at all. In the late 80's they had added one single 727 flight a day between JFK and DEN for some domestic feed to JFK. Before that, they didn't even fly to DEN at all, a major US city. UA has domestic flights galore and always has. Pan Am flew to odd exotic markets that made little sense, like Rabat, Morocco. They did strange things like serve Tel Aviv via Paris rather than nonstop from JFK. I can't even begin to explain the differences. I flew Pan Am several times before they folded by the way.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:18 am

Now that is about as funny as it gets^
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Kacee
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Hong Kong ceased to be a real city state when the turnover to mainland China happened. Though they do still enjoy quite a bit of autonomy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state

Scroll down to Hong Kong and Macau in the link.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Baze
Hong Kong ceased to be a real city state when the turnover to mainland China happened. Though they do still enjoy quite a bit of autonomy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state

Scroll down to Hong Kong and Macau in the link.
They might not be "city states" in the old sense, they are, however, SARs and
more or less operate just like "city states". I also would question to what extend there is real autonomy. They are effectively and exclusively under Beijing's control. That's all one needs to know about autonomy. But I digress, this is not supposed to be a political forum.

As far as the OP's question is concerned : No other airline will ever be (like) Pan American World Airways; no ifs, no buts. Any effort to try and make a comparison is pointless.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:53 am

I think the competitive and customer experience/expectation environment are totally different. It wasn't until the 90s that the airlines realized no matter what they did, pricing was the number one buying criteria (makes watching VX UA compete interesting)
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
UA flies only mainline from MIA to EWR and IAH. IAD,ORD, and CLE RJ's. No service to DEN or SFO hubs. Why is ORD-MIA RJ's. When they had the South America Interantional operation I think they ran 747's to ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.