Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mystery Shopper Service Audits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
UA is partaking in a mystery shopping program at all hubs (even CLE )beginning now until Dec 20th.
I love how you state "even CLE" just in case there was some doubt about whether it would be included in all hubs....
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm also a mystery shopper - we are never paid to make trouble and report on it - quite the opposite - we are to blend completely and ensure our presence is completely undetected and make an honest report from the perspective of management's expectations for performance.
I agree with you. I had a friend do this this in the nightclub business. You are to blend in and report your findings.

Question. How can UA do this after someone already leaked the fact this will happen, and the people at UA know it? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Get some senior management to fly on "Paid" tickets, observe UA. Than buy a few "Paid" tickets on other airlines, observe. See the difference.

Than fix, and make your product better.
Secret shoppers at UA, letting the world known before the fact is a joke. Also, what if a bad apple is found. Fired - don't think so. Retraining - that's it.

Another poster stated that some FA's make the page "welcome aboard CO flt #XXX". This would happen once - caught - retrained. Happens again, Fired.

Employes remember you work for United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL)
-NYSE

Hope to see how the secret shoppers change the service on my 4 UA flts next week. I just may be one of the secret shoppers!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
The problem with COua mystery shoppers would be figuring out what exactly they're measuring. How well sCO preformed to their incredibly low bar for service or are they adopting the higher sUA bar which would be preferable if they ever want HVF to return?

My assumption with the majority of the leadership from sCO is they're throwing dollars out the window to reinforce how great their under-achievers are doing against the low service / performance bars they've set to give another round of bonus payments in their "everyone gets a trophy" culture.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Interesting. An Air Canada flight attendant accused me of being a mystery shopper recently when I asked for ice cream (served in business class) while seated in economy, and told her that I've had it before in economy (which is true). I didn't get the ice cream

I wonder if all airlines do this.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
My friend and fellow frequent traveler is a mystery shopper for high end restaurants/bars/clubs. He's pretty serious about it. I imagine UNITED wouldn't like what he'd have to say.

Sometimes the restaurants know, usually they don't and the reporting does get into the hands of decision makers.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kettle1
I agree with you. I had a friend do this this in the nightclub business. You are to blend in and report your findings.

Question. How can UA do this after someone already leaked the fact this will happen, and the people at UA know it? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Get some senior management to fly on "Paid" tickets, observe UA. Than buy a few "Paid" tickets on other airlines, observe. See the difference.

Than fix, and make your product better.
Secret shoppers at UA, letting the world known before the fact is a joke. Also, what if a bad apple is found. Fired - don't think so. Retraining - that's it.

Another poster stated that some FA's make the page "welcome aboard CO flt #XXX". This would happen once - caught - retrained. Happens again, Fired.

Employes remember you work for United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL)
-NYSE

Hope to see how the secret shoppers change the service on my 4 UA flts next week. I just may be one of the secret shoppers!
If done correctly, UA employees would know there are *always* mystery shoppers evaluating *every* aspect of the business from phone calls to baggage service, to inflight service, to monitoring the boarding process etc etc - basically they should assume they are being monitored by an independent performance analyst at any and all times and deliver service accordingly.

A specific employee who is called out by a performance analyst a couple of times for problematic service or non compliance should be automatically sent out for re-training - conversely, a high-performer should be called out for bonuses and/or promotion.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If done correctly, UA employees would know there are *always* mystery shoppers evaluating *every* aspect of the business from phone calls to baggage service, to inflight service, to monitoring the boarding process etc etc - basically they should assume they are being monitored by an independent performance analyst at any and all times and deliver service accordingly.

A specific employee who is called out by a performance analyst a couple of times for problematic service or non compliance should be automatically sent out for re-training - conversely, a high-performer should be called out for bonuses and/or promotion.
This is the best statement made. UA needs to get it together. If I hear a FA call the the flt CO XXX. I will call UA in Chicago, not to get miles... to find out what airline I am flying. I still don't get why the employees can not work as a team???

Work as a team. A GREAT TEAM - CALLED UNITED! You have a great airline... make it work.^
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Mystery shopper systems are useful because hiring experienced/professional shoppers achieves more reliable and extensive feedback than just using customer surveys. As others have mentioned, these systems are much more effective when the employees being tested know that these systems exist.

Originally Posted by star_world
I beg to differ about 1kvoice - this is easily the highlight of UA's non-GS customer support in my experience. They have resolved every issue I've ever sent to them, and always have responded with personally-written, detailed messages.
I have three issues I e-mailed to 1KVoice in the last couple months and never even gotten a reply.

Maybe I need to PM UAInsider?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'm also a mystery shopper - we are never paid to make trouble and report on it - quite the opposite - we are to blend completely and ensure our presence is completely undetected and make an honest report from the perspective of management's expectations for performance.
Different shops, different companies, different requirements...

I have been asking for my overentitled discounts and overentitled services in so many occasions...

But I do agree that most shops require you to blend it.

As a troubled () mystery shopper, somehow I do believe that companies can see more when the shops require you to make trouble to test how employees respond.

In UA, I have no doubt most employees can do a good job in normal circumstances. But in IRROPS...my evil face...

Originally Posted by kettle1
I made this offer to all airlines that I am totally pissed. CX, AC, etc...

I always use that to prove I am not lying...but situation is really that bad...

But St. Jeffy can't do that with his "Hi...I am Jeff Smisek..." video all around...

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
My friend and fellow frequent traveler is a mystery shopper for high end restaurants/bars/clubs. He's pretty serious about it. I imagine UNITED wouldn't like what he'd have to say.
Serious companies want serious response. So they pay serious money for serious shoppers.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG75; Hilton Diamond
Hah. I had a terrible experience the other day in DEN with a gate agent. Or rather, the experience in terms of travel was fine (VDB, he seemed to have processed everything fine, etc) but in terms of interaction...well, he was creepy and awful. Cracking "jokes" that were just wasting time, making sexual remarks, etc. As I said to a friend later, for myself I can roll my eyes, keep my mouth shut, and wait for him to hand me my voucher, but if there'd been, say, a teenage girl nearby or as the target of his quips? I would've gone off on him.

There was no teenage girl nearby...but there was a 1K. I saw him on the later flight (he'd been trying to stand by on the earlier one I ended up bumped from) and he told me he'd complained. The very next day I got a call from United asking about my experience (apparently he told them I was there also and was the person who got bumped, and they were able to find me). I was fairly impressed with that turnaround (though who knows what'll happen to the guy, the person I talked to seemed pretty appalled).
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
UA is partaking in a mystery shopping program at all hubs (even CLE )beginning now until Dec 20th. When hotel companies hire mystery shoppers the shopper keeps the miles/points earned for the stay. With the United program the auditor keeps no miles earned for the travel. All expenses are paid for the auditor.

I am a fan of and believe in mystery shopping programs but I do not see why United would need such a service. They should listen to passenger comments. Comments to 1kvoice are often ignored and replies are meaningless.

They will be evaluating all service interactions from check-in to baggage claim return times and all in between. Will be an expensive project for UA. Interesting to see if they do another program after the first.
Mystery Shopping and Customer Feedback are two different things. Customer Feedback is subjective and a Mystery Shop is looking for specific things and should be objective, with evidence-based reporting. I agree with you though, but I think they should do both listen to the customer feedback and mystery shop to avoid negative customer feedback.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is a very old thread and circumstances have changed significantly, will close this thread. If anyone is aware of such present activitiy, we can start a new thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.