Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

F and C Sold Out but seat map shows availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Is this just status quo anymore? I am booked on 881 and 837 on 11/3-4 and waitlisted for my GPU. I look at the seat map in my PNR and there are 17+ seats in C, but when I login with expert mode and look at the flight I see all fare buckets 0 down to Y.

Is this just an general .com weirdness or is something afoot? I've logged out and logged in again after waiting an hour (thinking it was some sync issue with .com) and it still looks like this.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anticipating a plane swap, or Y is oversold and will fill C. No untoward explanation I can think of.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Could this also mean that sufficient tickets have been sold, but not everyone has made a seat choice yet?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Anticipating a plane swap, or Y is oversold and will fill C. No untoward explanation I can think of.
I know seat maps are not gospel, but there is a LOT of Y space available. Since these are long haul (ORD-NRT on a 777 and NRT-BKK on a 747) not sure what planes they'd swap them to? Plus a planned plane swap 2+ weeks out?

Of course, this is the same PNR that still shows NRT-IAD as a bus service so maybe I am over-scrutinizing everything.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:49 am

I was watching a flight that was Y3 for days before the flight, with the seatmap half empty. I walked by the gate and immediately understood why. Not an a/c swap. Any guesses?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seat maps are completely meaningless for determining loads. This is particularly true of premium cabins which are smaller.

At the same time, availability itself is not a direct indicator of seat space as carriers routinely oversell, although premium cabins are not themselves generally oversold.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I was watching a flight that was Y3 for days before the flight, with the seatmap half empty. I walked by the gate and immediately understood why. Not an a/c swap. Any guesses?
No. Do tell.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I vote for aircraft swap.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:26 am

An entire sports team from USC.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Tour Group?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by davewang202
Tour Group?
Could be. My IAD-KWI flight right after my status match in Feb 2012. Seat map was fairly empty in all cabins up until about 24 hours before the flight. Upon boarding preocess there were dozens of op-ups to J & F (incl me a lowly status matched gold) and we went out full in every cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.