Wiki Posts
Search

Forced bag check w a fee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Gunner14
So they were forced to pay to check bags that should have been checked to begin with? What's the issue here?
Over on AS, its an additional $5 on top of checked bag fee if they have to gate check bag that doesn't meet carry-on size limits.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier
... with added threat. if you don't check now, and your bag doesn't fit in the sizer, we will make you pay. and boy they sure did. .
Originally Posted by mre5765
I see nothing in the Contract of Carriage that says that bags that are legal carry ons (I.e. fit the sizer) can be charged a compulsory checked bag fee. But I might have missed it; can you point us at it?
Nobody said that they were charging people with legal sized carry-on's additional fees.

"United Airlines will permit one bag plus one personal item (see below), per customer to be carried on the aircraft.

The maximum combined linear measurement (length + width + height) of carry-on bags must not exceed 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches (114 cm).

Please note: All carry-on items must be stowed under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. Items may not be stowed in the seat back pocket. Any item in excess of carry-on baggage size or allowance requirements as listed above will be checked to your final destination and may be subject to applicable checked baggage fees."​

My beef would be that they practically never enforce this rule, and for a few g/a's to suddenly screw unsuspecting passengers out of $25.00, at the last min, is somewhat c.s.! UA needs to be consistent with their enforcement, and everyone should be on the same page, both employee's and their passenger's!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LilAbner
My beef would be that they practically never enforce this rule, and for a few g/a's to suddenly screw unsuspecting passengers out of $25.00, at the last min is somewhat c.s.! UA needs to be consistent with their enforcement, and everyone should be on the same page, both employee's and their passenger's!
I agree that they need to be more consistent about enforcing the rules. However, they are clearly stated - so the pax really aren't being "screwed." That's a bit like telling the cop that pulls you over on the interstate for doing 70 in a 55 that you shouldn't get a ticket since you have been driving the same speed on the same stretch of highway everyday on your way to work and have never gotten a ticket before.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier
... normal check early free bag announcement. with added threat. if you don't check now, and your bag doesn't fit in the sizer, we will make you pay.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I agree that they need to be more consistent about enforcing the rules. However, they are clearly stated - so the pax really aren't being "screwed." That's a bit like telling the cop that pulls you over on the interstate for doing 70 in a 55 that you shouldn't get a ticket since you have been driving the same speed on the same stretch of highway everyday on your way to work and have never gotten a ticket before.
Guess you're right, and the passengers were actually given advanced warning that if they did not hand over their "Oversized Carry-on's" to be gate checked for FREE, and they didn't fit in the sizer they would be charged.

Changed my mind --- NO SYMPATHY FOR THE PASSENGER'S, even if they are "Kettles"! That'll learn-em!! ^
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
take 'em for all they've got

This is just a natural extension of the 'a la carte' approach that UA will be pushing ever further.

If your clientele is mainly price-sensitive, has no loyalty, and chooses to fly because of lowest fares at time of booking, then your profit strategy must rely on extracting as much out of them as possible once they are captive (i.e., holding a non-refundable ticket). Charging for food, drink, bags, seats, wi fi, and other essential or non-essential services are all part of the strategy.

I read somewhere that there were experiments going on to figure out how to charge extra for getting off the plane earlier than those who don't pay an expedited departure fee. Interesting to see how they'll manage that one.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I wish they would do this more often. People with oversized carry-on bags take up more time during the boarding process when they try to cram it into the overhead bins. Sounds like the agent gave them the opportunity to check for free so they are idiots for not doing it.

Living in London, I've seen baggage advertised that it meets Ryanair's carry on dimension requirements.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
This is just a natural extension of the 'a la carte' approach that UA will be pushing ever further.
... once they are captive (i.e., holding a non-refundable ticket). Charging for food, drink, bags, seats, wi fi, and other essential or non-essential services are all part of the strategy.
Definitely not defending any airline, but passengers ARE NOT being "Held Captive". Nobody is being forced to purchase a drink or food on an airplane, and many bring their McDonald's crap and pizza and stink up the whole plane for hours. If passengers don't want to check a bag, and/or pay the fees they can leave it home. The airlines make a lot of money off of luggage and I see no reason that the airlines should not make money off of something that costs them extra due to needed extra fuel. Wifi --- If you don't want to pay for it, DON"T, and read a book. Non-refundable tickets --- This one is easy, just buy a refundable ticket and Bingo, no problem cancelling. Paying for oversized carry-on's- That's the passengers problem for bring all their crap and jamming up the boarding process.

Again, nobody has a gun being held to their head, and noone is being "Held Captive"!!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
This isn't Europe, and it isn't Spirit. Gate checking is supposed to be free. The sizers and official rules in no way resemble real bins on real modern aircraft. I find this reprehensible.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I tend to find this reprehensible only because it is so rarely enforced. And to be honest, I don't want it enforced.

Slightly unrelated, but not knowing any better, I paid $38 to check a bag on Air Asia last week because of big signs saying one carry-on only. Upon boarding, most lugged two bags and some even three onboard. I was ticked...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
About those kettles..
Kettles do not seem to understand personal responsibility. They had a choice. They ignored it.
Its not just the non-elites here. I see lots of elites dragging bags on that exceed the 'carry on' limits too. While I don't have one, I've never had the chance to measured it, but does the 'standard' roller bag that fills a bin front to back, actually adhere to the rules? 3 of these generally fill a bin that covers between 6-9 folks seats. Thats a 1/3 utilization. No wonder the folks who board last often have to get their bags gate checked.

I spite of all the flames I'll probably get, I'd like to see the airlines enforce the limits. Now for some real heresy, I'd like to see anything with wheels, that is bigger than a roller Computer Cases, banned as a carry-on.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This isn't Europe, and it isn't Spirit. Gate checking is supposed to be free. The sizers and official rules in no way resemble real bins on real modern aircraft. I find this reprehensible.
It's one thing if it fits, another if it takes up space that two passengers could be using instead of just one. For example, I could carry on my big duffel and it would certainly fit sideways, but it would take up the space of 2 regulation carry-ons. The sizer should be used as a passenger "carry-on limit", not a "fit test".

I think there should be a volume limit (as opposed to a "fit limit", and the sizer can still define volume) to whatever is carried on. Everything else should be charged/checked. The problem is gate checking adds time to departure, the retreat of bags from back of cabin as bins fill takes time, gate-checked bags certainly add to wait/processing time at TSA checkpoints, etc.

Strict enforcement of volume rules would quicken boarding and TSA lines, something everyone complains about, but when a rule addressing the problem impacts them - whoa!

Gate checking isn't supposed to be free for over-sized items, but UA is letting the issue slide (currently).
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I'm really impressed that the GAs did this. Not enforcing existing rules has long been a pet peeve of mine. When folks see people flouting rules about boarding groups and carry-ons time and again without consequence, it leeches out into the rest of their behavior.

As a wise man once said: good fences make good neighbors.

Now for some real heresy, I'd like to see anything with wheels, that is bigger than a roller Computer Cases, banned as a carry-on.
Umm, why? The overhead bins do fit most rollaboards perfectly well.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would be delighted to see the carry-on rules strictly enforced. But they need to do it on a consistent basis.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would much rather see them enforce the number of carry ons as apposed to the size. And I wish they would consistently charge for gate checking (not RJ where you get it back). The only problem I see is maybe a late arriving elite or someone who should otherwise get a free checked bag being forced to pay. But I am a firm believer of if it doesn't fit wheels or handle first it must be checked and if not elite or otherwise entitled to a free bag pay for it to be checked. Can't tell you how many people I see who just put their bag up sideways without even trying wheels or handle first and walk away, then later when others try and make room and turn it, it doesn't fit. So they just turn it back sideways and try to find another place. And it is usually people in group 1 or 2 that do this so probably some kind of elite that wouldn't have to pay for a checked bag anyways.

And in the OP situation, they were given a chance for free so if they didn't take the offer then and it didn't fit in the sizer, tough noogies.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:04 am

I like that, in 'merica, we try to pack our stuff in non-insane bags and put them in overhead bins, rather than checking them and waiting like idiots at baggage claim. I lived in Europe for years, and sitting with the entire rest of the plane for an eternity at baggage claim, waiting for your reasonably-sized-but-too-big-for-the-sizer bag to come down the chute was by far my least favorite part of intra-Europe travel. I imagine that some here enjoy seeing the ridiculous jackets-and-individual-bottles-of-duty-free-booze-filled bins on LH. I don't. I see terrible inefficiency. The bins are there, and we should fill them.

I agree that there should be limits. If the GA looks at your bag and thinks "well, that's silly," then you should be forced to gate check it. For free, of course. Because this is 'merica, and that's how 'merica works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.