Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking o/w award travel and converting to r/t with stopover later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon

Hi,

I am looking at booking two premium award tickets for next year. There appear to be some seats available now on the outbound (331 days away). I want to fly roundtrip ultimately.

Can I book a o/w award ticket now and then, assuming availability for my return in a few weeks, convert it to a round-trip (and add a stopover)? Will I get charged a change fee for each ticket if I convert to a roundtrip, which I would need to do if I want a stopover)?

If I don't want a stopover is there any disadvantage to booking o/w flights (other than changing the entire itinerary would cost me twice as much for the roundtrip if I had to rebook both legs)?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes you can convert. Fees depend on your status.

No disadvantages, except the fees, as you noted.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:06 pm

Looking at a one-way award e-ticket, it says NOT VALID AFTER 7/3/2014 - for a ticket I booked on on 07/03/2013.

I would be interested to know if I will get a new 365 day clock on the re-ticketing date by paying the $100 award change fee (Making any change less than 21 days prior to the date of travel; or changing origin/destination at any time, as General Member).

Last edited by Colin; Oct 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes you can convert. Fees depend on your status.

No disadvantages, except the fees, as you noted.

Thanks -- so bottom line is that I will be charged a fee for converting a one-way into a r/t with a stopover later on.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Colin
Looking at a one-way award e-ticket, it says NOT VALID AFTER 7/3/2014 - for a ticket I booked on on 07/03/2013.

I would be interested to know if I will get a new 365 day clock on the re-ticketing date by paying the $100 award change fee (Making any change less than 21 days prior to the date of travel; or changing origin/destination at any time, as General Member).
YMMV. It's been reported both ways on this forum.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I cannot speak to the fees involved with doing this as a non-1k/Plat, however my one caution would be to make sure you have an agent who knows what they're doing. I ended up accidentally losing one of my original/ticketed NH J award segments earlier this year when converting an one-way award into a roundtrip. If the agent doesn't sound confident, I recommend politely hanging-up and calling again. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried with two agents recently starting with existing TG oneway segment and both said they could not do it without releasing that segment first.
YMMV I am sure this is doable with UA segments though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.