Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jgsx
Welcome to becoming United elite! As a Premier member, you’ll get the following benefits available to all Premier members, including:
  • Premier Access (priority lines at check-in, security screening, and customer service locations; priority baggage handling)
  • Priority phone service. No need to call the special number on your call – just call 1-800-UNITED-1 and enter your MP number (or enter your number on your online profile, and it will recognize you). You will receive a simplified automated phone tree, as well as reduced hold times and “better” agents in proportion to your status.
  • A minimum of 500 PQMs earned on each segment flown on United, United Express, and selected partners (such as Air Canada, Copa).
  • Unlimited Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) in non-Global First/BusinessFirst markets for you and up to 1 companion
  • “Instant upgrades” on Y and B fares in non-Global First/BusinessFirst markets. If you buy these fares, your upgrade right will trump lots of other folks’, causing them to come to FT and complain.
  • Access to sold-out flights
  • Enhanced availability for Economy Saver awards.
  • Last-seat availability for all Standard awards.
  • Waived upgrade copays for domestic mileage upgrades.

NOTE - Your Premier benefits are not cumulative with your United-branded Chase credit card. The higher benefit will take precedent over the lower one.

Premier Silver

Welcome to the first level of United elite status! At this level, you’ll get the following benefits in addition to above:
  • Boarding in Group 2.
  • Access to Economy Plus (E+) with 1 companion at check-in (or maybe only 24-hours before a specific segment). In practice, you will almost always be able to get E+ seating as the flight nears, if you know what you’re doing. You can also get E+ for a companion, and they don’t ven really need to be on the same PNR – just call and have them placed next to you.
  • Your CPUs can clear as soon as 24 hours from departure. As a Silver, you will likely only receive CPUs (1) to leisure destinations (like Hawaii), (2) on very empty flights, (3) at leisure times (like weekends and holidays), and (4) on regional jets with large first-class cabins. Because CPUs *will be rare for you*, you’re best off not fussing too much about them, and just enjoying them when they happen.
  • 7x RDM multiplier per PQD.
  • One free checked bag up to 50 lbs.
  • Reduced award fees.
  • Sold-out flight Access: Y-fare ticket until T-24 hours

As a Silver, you also receive *A Silver (*S) status. When you travel on a *A partner, your *S will get you practically nothing.

Premier Gold

Welcome to Gold status, the first level with benefits far beyond what you can get through a United-branded Chase credit card!

You get everything that Silvers get and more, including:
  • E+ at booking for you and one companion.
  • 8x RDM multiplier per PQD
  • Better upgrade chances. You CPUs can clear as soon as 48 hours from departure. Although a better chance from Silver, you may still want to work on improving your upgrade odds by (1) Aim for bigger planes or with larger C cabins,(2) use SDC to move to flights where you have better odds at the last minute. Learn the ins and outs of how CPU’s work. If you’re based out of SFO/EWR/IAD, or fly mostly hub-to-hub flights, though, you’re still not going to see much success.
  • Free, unlimited use of SDC and standby privileges.
  • 2 free checked bags, up to 70 lbs each.
  • Further reduced award fees.

As a Gold, you also receive *A Gold (*G) status. When you travel on a *A partner, your *G will get you :

Premier Platinum

Everything that Golds get, plus the following:
  • Group 1 boarding.
  • E+ at booking time for you and up to 8 companions.
  • Even better upgrade chances. You CPUs can clear as soon as 72 hours from departure.
  • 9x RDM multiplier per PQD
  • 2 RPUs and 2 more RPUs for every additional 25K PQMs.
  • 1 extra checked bag (3 total), up to 70 lbs each.
  • Until October 2016 - Fully waived award fees.
  • Sold-out flight Access: Y-fare ticket until T-2 hours
  • *A Gold status (just like Premier Gold)

Premier 1K

Everything that that Platinums get, plus the following:
  • Even better upgrade chances. Your CPUs can clear as soon as 96 hours from departure.
  • 11x RDM multiplier per PQD
  • 6 GPUs, 2 RPUs, and 2 more GPUs for every additional 50K PQMs accumulated after reaching Premier 1K.
  • Fully waived award fees.
  • Instant Upgrades on M-fares in addition to Y- and B-fares
  • Sold-out flight Access: Y/B-fare ticket until T-90 minutes
  • 1K 1Call dedicated line

Global Services
Everything that Premier 1Ks get, plus the following:
  • The best upgrade chances. Your CPUs can clear as soon as 120 hours from departure.
  • All GS upgrades process into PN. This includes GPUs, RPUs, CPUs and miles.
  • Dedicated phone line with US-based agents; phone usually answered within 30 seconds.
  • Special handling during irregular operations, including possible Mercedes-Benz transfers across the tarmac when passengers have close connections at hubs.
  • Ability to upgrade award tickets using mileage and RPUs/GPUs; domestic itineraries are eligible for CPUs in priority just after revenue GS passengers.
  • Ability for agents to "open" saver award inventory if "T" fare bucket is available.
Print Wikipost

Guide to United's Premier Status Levels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Guide to United's Premier Status Levels

A friend of mine just made Silver and is on his way to Gold, so I started to write a guide for new Premier members, but I realized that I should just make it a wikipost here. It's a work in progress, so please help improve it. The asterisks are places where I want to add links. Hopefully eventually it can be good enough to justify making a sticky topic.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Very useful, thanks! Given that there are different levels of UA credit cards, this could be asking a lot, but I wonder whether it'd be possible to add information about which perks are over and above perks already received through a Mileage Plus Explorer card (for example).
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Good idea!

Suggestions -
title the Gold section "Premier Gold" to be consistent with the other sections.

I didn't realize the first section about Golds was only regarding other Star Alliance airlines. I was about to correct you (did, actually, then deleted it) on the availability of premium seating, then I saw it in the next section. Maybe label the sections according to which program you are referring to. Or put the benefits on United first, then follow with *G benefits.

Last edited by lindaiah; Oct 4, 2013 at 9:42 am
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps a caret ^ would be better as a placeholder for future links than an asterisk[*], since the latter is also used in conjunction with *A, *G, *S, etc. etc. etc.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
This will be great! Thank you for contributing this! ^

Last edited by GlobalServiced; Oct 4, 2013 at 10:24 am Reason: Textual Error
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I can comment on the benefit regarding access to sold out flights. One evening I had to get to Houston from SFO, last flight of the night and it was F0/Y0. They booked me as a revenue oversale, so the way it was explained to me (by our world-class ) SFO ground staff was as follows.

1. Purchase a full-fare Y ticket (Y fare basis, no B/M so very expensive).
2. Receive boarding pass with typical SBY notation for your seat assignment.
3. Wait at the gate during boarding:
-If connecting PAX are surefire misconnents or someone is a no-show, they are offloaded and you are given their seat.
-If everyone shows up, GA goes through the oversold song and dance, asks for volunteers. If no one volunteers, they IDB someone, you take their seat.

In my case, someone took a VDB, they were offering $250+hotel to start and someone took it immediately. However given that I paid something obnoxious like $1050 for a one way ticket, I imagine UA still came out ahead.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United has a good list at Premier benefits and more
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, BW Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'll throw out the first question here....

Referring to the the Platinum section:

-2 RPUs and 2 more RPUs for every additional 25K PQMs

Let's say I hit Platinum in December (which I will) and get get these 2 RPU's.

Do I only have until Dec 31 (end of EQM period) to obtain the additional 25K and the 2 additional RPU's or does it extend into 2014 and I keep getting 2 more RPU's every time I hit another 25K next year?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the suggestions -- I will make edits once I'm on an actual computer. Feel free to keep making them yourself, if you have access, and thanks to those who have already.

The asterisks are very temporary -- I'll be putting in the rest of the links tonight, hopefully.

Interesting about the sold-out flight benefit. I'm surprised there's not more discussion of it here. Perhaps because it costs elevendy billion dollars.

I do know that United website has a list of benefits, of course, but it also has a list of SDC rules, and an explanation of award types, and a guide to its planes, and an explanation of how CPU's work. But all of those topics have thread here. The idea is to do something better, more narrative, and more linked to useful information than what United has, with the particular aim of helping newly-premier folks.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Missing: Waiving of close-in award feed, award redeposit fees, and extended inventory.

Not sure which of those also apply to plat, but I enjoy them as a 1K
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Briz
Referring to the the Platinum section:

-2 RPUs and 2 more RPUs for every additional 25K PQMs

Let's say I hit Platinum in December (which I will) and get get these 2 RPU's.

Do I only have until Dec 31 (end of EQM period) to obtain the additional 25K and the 2 additional RPU's or does it extend into 2014 and I keep getting 2 more RPU's every time I hit another 25K next year?

Thanks!
Everything starts new each January 1st so you only have until December 31 to get the additional 25k miles for the two extra RPUs.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lindaiah
Maybe label the sections according to which program you are referring to. Or put the benefits on United first, then follow with *G benefits.
Agree - Put UA benefits first, and then second the Star Alliance *G benefits.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
If your real goal is to have this stickied, I'd edit out the extra comments like "will come to FT and complain".

Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.

Is moving someone NOT on your PNR up to E+ a real benefit? Is it published anywhere? Documented in SHARES? I've tried it in the past and sometimes it works, which I chalked up to agents being nice, and sometimes it doesn't, which I chalked up to it not being a real benefit.

And if it does work for a silver and someone on a different PNR, does it work for a 1K and 8 other people not in the same PNR?

I fly with staff all the time who I don't all put on my PNR for upgrade reasons and/or they have different first/final segments who don't have status and would be nice to get them up into E+.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by raehl311

Is moving someone NOT on your PNR up to E+ a real benefit? Is it published anywhere? Documented in SHARES? I've tried it in the past and sometimes it works, which I chalked up to agents being nice, and sometimes it doesn't, which I chalked up to it not being a real benefit.

And if it does work for a silver and someone on a different PNR, does it work for a 1K and 8 other people not in the same PNR?

I fly with staff all the time who I don't all put on my PNR for upgrade reasons and/or they have different first/final segments who don't have status and would be nice to get them up into E+.
It works everytime I ask. I ask for one or two people at most, and they sit in the same row as I. I think going for broke is YMMV.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA
very helpful! Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.