Wiki Posts
Search

UA losing major Elites in Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
UA losing major Elites in Brazil

AA is going heavily on 1ks and GSs here in Brazil.

Basically they are requesting major travel agencies a list of 1Ks and GS and contacting them with some ridiculous offers!!!! (status match, upgrades and even telling people if you fly first class you donīt need to stay on line to board the plane like United)

Today they just announced a new flight GRU - LAX and confirmed early next year GRU - ORD.

For the first time Iīm thinking on jumb ship to the dAArk side.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How are you doing on systemwide upgrades from there? Does UA still meet your travel needs?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Things are not looking good for

UAL in South America. I predict they will retreat further. They have already dropped a few out of IAD and EWR. American owns the place.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
The only flight lost from IAD was to EZE which moved to EWR. Supposedly this is to disappear from EWR. But the merger resulted in IAH-GIG and IAH-GRU and EWR-GRU along with IAD-GRU-GIG and ORD-GRU. Would not call that a major retreat.

As for AA offers, I'm still waiting to get one. But it would have to be pretty attractive, as my home base is IAD and I can go right to GRU non stop.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
How are you doing on systemwide upgrades from there? Does UA still meet your travel needs?
Sure I use system wide upgrades. But the fare difference now between a W to AA confirmed C is only about 500 dollars. (Yes start shopping around)

And if I jump ship I have over 20 daily flight to choose from instead of Unitedīs 4 flights out of Brazil.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
There's no question AA has a stronger Brazil franchise than UA. It's one of AA's core markets and they have a heavy investment there with the benefit of the best hub (in terms of local market) to Brazil in MIA and a key partner in TAM. UA's priorities clearly lie elsewhere, but they have a solid presence in the largest business markets of GIG/GRU, and that isn't likely to change much, save for the reintroduction of EWR-GIG some time in the next few years.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I just wished AA would have a comparable Asia presence ....
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL seems to be doing well in Brazil.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL seems to be doing well in Brazil.
DL seems to be doing well everywhere!!! Don't hear a lot about route cutting with them these days (unless it's axing one Asia route to add 3 more)...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
There's no question AA has a stronger Brazil franchise than UA. It's one of AA's core markets and they have a heavy investment there with the benefit of the best hub (in terms of local market) to Brazil in MIA and a key partner in TAM. UA's priorities clearly lie elsewhere, but they have a solid presence in the largest business markets of GIG/GRU, and that isn't likely to change much, save for the reintroduction of EWR-GIG some time in the next few years.
I donīt recall a EWR-GIG route. There was a IAD-GIG direct on Nov-Fev but it was cancelled.

Originally Posted by EWR764
What strikes me is just how agressive AA is going after UA elites!! Asking for face to face meetings etc...

After the merger you cannot even talk to a UA sales maganer anymore.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 6, 2013 at 8:16 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mgs 1k
I donīt recall a EWR-GIG route. There was a IAD-GIG direct on Nov-Fev but it was cancelled.
You have to go back to 2001, but it happened. DC-10 service, later with 764, operating EWR-GIG and briefly, EWR-GIG-CNF.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by qfrodo
The only flight lost from IAD was to EZE which moved to EWR. Supposedly this is to disappear from EWR. But the merger resulted in IAH-GIG and IAH-GRU and EWR-GRU along with IAD-GRU-GIG and ORD-GRU. Would not call that a major retreat.
Slightly off-topic, but do IAH-GRU flyers have the option to jump on the GRU-GIG tag, like EWR-GRU fliers used to back in the CO days? Occasionally the IAH-GIG flight is sold out and I've done IAH-GRU on UA and GRU-GIG on TAM but never thought to check whether it was possible to book the UA GRU-GIG tag. Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Expat in GRU here... I unfortunately have stuck with UA due to price through 2013, but I have only been upgraded about 20% of the time (including grabbing inventory when EF alert comes in). (Un)fortunately my time here will come to an end in about 6 months and I don't know my future travel patterns. I am reluctant to jump to AA since I am already AS MVPG and don't fly enough DL/AS/partners to keep both.

I will say my experience is that UA premium cabins tend to be American not Brazilian travellers, so I fear cabins will remain full.

I am just so sick of the whole game - I only shop by price, connection and a good coach seat. UA won next weekend only because I could not find a single DL Economy comfort, or AA/DL exit row seat on any flight on the outbound. My chances for upgrade are dim - J=1 on outbound, J=6 on inbound.

Sorry for the vent...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by st530
Slightly off-topic, but do IAH-GRU flyers have the option to jump on the GRU-GIG tag, like EWR-GRU fliers used to back in the CO days? Occasionally the IAH-GIG flight is sold out and I've done IAH-GRU on UA and GRU-GIG on TAM but never thought to check whether it was possible to book the UA GRU-GIG tag. Thanks.
Did a dummy booking and it was offered as one of the possibilities.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:52 pm

Using AA For Brazil Flights

I booked all my Brazil flights on AA since the status match I received last year from AA to Exec Platinum. I receive an upgrade on any fare class using systemwides on American and all have cleared (7 roundtrips to date on AA). This is better than playing the upgrade lottery on United with having to pay for a W class ticket with no certainty of an upgrade at a fare differential of more than $800 on every ticket between AA and a UA W class ticket to Brazil that I've booked to date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.