Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Great Global Services article in the WSJ 23-Aug-2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great Global Services article in the WSJ 23-Aug-2013

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mike1968
The subliminal advertising with Chase is bad enough...we know the uaCO experience is truly awful so use this credit card to get a slightly less awful experience...but this article just talks about what a PITA it is to fly The CO version of UA...a 4 hour delay here, a cancelled long haul international there... If I had never flown UA, it certainly wouldn't encourage me to want to do so given how poorly it implies everyone else below a GS is treated...
Exactly right. My beef with the Chase ads is that it sells against the unpleasant UA standard experience -- e.g., you need this card to avoid poor treatment. At least most people can buy the card. Hardly any United customer gets GS. (Perspective check: FT tends to dismiss anyone who's not at least 1K as a piker. But the article says all elites add up to only 3 to 5 percent of FF program population, and on any given flight maybe 50 percent of the cabin belongs to the FF program, so... do the math. FT is a pretty rarified, unrepresentative group.)

I can't imagine why United thought cooperating with this story was a good idea. It's basically taunting the 99+ percent of fliers who endure the sub-GS experience.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boat9781
Great article. Bus so far as attaining the status is concerned, spend ~$40-45K for a fighting chance; spend $60K to lock it in. And those on full fare tickets have a better shot.
For my part I'm spending my money flying for my company (always 200k+ miles per year for the past few decades). I manage my bookings & miles very carefully. If I ever make GS (other than 4MM) I will be very disappointed in myself.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I can get my suit pressed? Where??

I was amused to see that the mother-daughter team referenced at the beginning of the article, who were "whisked by a Mercedes to a connecting flight" ended up in the UC (photo). Guess they weren't in a hurry.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Neil35
Very interesting. Obviously there are many things about GS benefits that I haven't read about.
Interesting how someone w/o the status decides that a GS is having an experience contrary "what he's read".

My experience is up to 1K, so I feel comfortable making remarks about my experiences up to that level.

I'd love to be a GS, but it aint gonna happen for me, now that I'm semi-retired, unless they have a Double Fare Class promotion.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 23, 2013 at 6:54 am
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I was amused to see that the mother-daughter team referenced at the beginning of the article, who were "whisked by a Mercedes to a connecting flight" ended up in the UC (photo). Guess they weren't in a hurry.
Hey now, don't downgrade them - looks like the ORD GFL to me
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Great Global Services article in tomorrow's WSJ

Puff piece aimed at attracting more of the high revenue flyers they've been losing. WSJ selling ads as journalism. Nothing to see here, folks.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:33 am

I had both of these exact thoughts. I would love to know where to get a button sewed on or a suit pressed. And also noticed the family in the UC.

I will say though that I love the Mercedes transfer. In Houston, twice, I only made my connection because of it. On one occasion, the plane was already pulling back from the gate. The GS agent got out of the car, waved to the pilot to come back, found someone to push stairs back on and gate check my bag (on a regional jet), and got me on the plane. It was amazing and saved me a long drive to Dallas.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The airlines make little or no mention of these clubs on their websites, and the service is almost invisible to most fliers
Except for the boarding process announcements before every flight

Pretty garbage piece.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...The airline recently invited several dozen to its headquarters in Chicago's Willis Tower for their feedback on new seats. They scrutinized the placement of cup holders and power outlets and requested more padding and better reading lights....
Guess if they were evaluating the new 319/320 seats the airline either blew off their request for more padding or the original seat choice was bare metal, based on the trip reports I've seen...
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
My guess is that there are potentially classes of GS customers and likely a subset of GS+ (the best of the best?). GS customers are at the top of every list for every benefit. GS+ customers...aren't on the list.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:16 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Responses to this article are exactly as I expected when I saw it last night.

GS'es: Eh, I don't really get this level of service but I can see how some people might

1K's: This is ridiculous, I can't believe what a puff piece this is. UA treats me so unfairly!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by kenn0223
My guess is that there are potentially classes of GS customers and likely a subset of GS+ (the best of the best?). GS customers are at the top of every list for every benefit. GS+ customers...aren't on the list.
Is Mr. Pillows on the list?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:29 am
Suspended

In Houston I was driven directly to the Term E lounge when my connecting flight was cancelled and I had to wait another hour. In fact it was pretty sweet since the elevator doors take you to the service entrance just behind the bar. Literally off the RJ in B, and at the E lounge with a drink in under 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by glasnost7
Puff piece aimed at attracting more of the high revenue flyers they've been losing. WSJ selling ads as journalism. Nothing to see here, folks.
Welcome to journalism for every company every day. United actually contacted me for this article to be interviewed by the Journal. I was not selected, but I can assure you that United did not ask me what I would say nor did they suggest what they would like me to say. Although I did ask them if they wanted me to reference anything in particular. They said it was up to me. The guys in PR at United are honest brokers.

Originally Posted by kenn0223
I've been told it is totally dependent on availability and connect times, so it is all triaged. However, if there is no other priority during a particular arrival of a GS, they will very likely pick you up and drive you to the lounge or your particular gate
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:33 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The article shouts advertisement. We know GS is nothing like what the article touts.

GS do not even get free lounge access, let alone the GFL, on a domestic non-p.s. flight. The article makes it sounds like any time they are traveling they are always invited to the GFL. GS primarily only gets a the car benefit when they have a tight connection or need to transfer terminals. Suit pressing service is available to everyone who has access to the UC in IAH and some arrivals lounges in Europe, not widespread. Those who amass hundreds of thousands miles do not get GS, it is those with purchasing power or those who flies on refundable fares the majority of the time or achieves 4MM BIS. ORD F UC is not the main lounge at ORD and the rest of the UCs at ORD do not even look remotely as nice.

We all know there are easily at least a couple hundred GS/GF customers traveling in/out ORD on a daily basis, the fact that only 100 are eligible [that includes LH/NH F customers] tells us that the vast majority of GS traveling through ORD are not eligible to access the GFL.

The two real differentiators between 1K and GS is IRROPs handling [where the Benz service mostly falls under] and upgrades [including upgrades on intl Y awards].
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Originally Posted by jgsx
I kept waiting for the piece to describe one of the miracles that I've become used to.
Oooh Reggie and his sunglasses, Norma... and the Mercedes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.