Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voucher in lieu of reimbursement?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
Voucher in lieu of reimbursement?

Due to circumstances at the departing gate in ORD on 7/31, I missed my LAX connection to TUS. I was told by a nice lady in the terminal 7 Club, and it was confirmed by the Elite call center, that there were no hotels available but that I should book my own and submit the receipts. I asked and was told there were no parameters in terms of price.

Because Tmobile's service in the club at Terminal 7 is abysmal, I ended up at the Westin in Long Beach, instead of LAX, and had to use Super Shuttle to get there (and had an awesome presidential suite all to my lonesome self, but that is a different tale).

When I got home the next EVENING (who knew there were NO morning flights from LA to Tucson!?), I submitted the claim with the receipts. I got a response today from UA saying they would provide only up to $90 for the hotel and $40 for the transportation. This is why I has asked for the price parameters, and when there were none provided I got what I thought was a reasonable middle ground rate, but more than $90, and super shuttle was more than $40. In lieu of cash, however, they offered me a travel voucher of $300 which is more than my expenses.

I am not sure what I should do. The voucher could obviously be used toward another trip though i have nothing planned that isn't already paid for, but I am wondering if I should just ask for my expenses to be reimbursed.

Granted, I got points for the Westin stay, plus a night's stay towards status (is there anything after Platinum Preferred?), points for the credit card charges, and 1.5 flight credits instead of just the 1 I would have gotten on my original flight due to a change in class....

I feel like UA comes out on top if I take the voucher, which must be used on UA....not that I want to be on top (this time). But you know what I mean, don't you? Should I ask for a voucher of a usable amount (can't get anywhere from Tucson for $300 anymore), or just be happy I got a response at all and suck it up and pay my credit card bill.

ITTIA

Last edited by ITravelThereforeIam; Aug 21, 2013 at 2:47 pm Reason: forgot the rule...sorry!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Not sure what you're entitled to for the hotel and such, but I think they should reimburse you for the hotel/transit since the club agent stated there were no limits and it's not like you took a champagne limo to the 4 Seasons.

However, if you were offered a voucher for more than your expenses, I'd jump on that. It's not always about "being on top" or "getting the most one can" but knowing when you've got a good hand to call it a day.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:46 pm

I'd take the voucher and let it go at that!

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm Reason: Taken care of
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

oh yeah, i absolutely agree on not biting the hand that is giving me a handout, but the voucher is only about $20 more than my actual expenses, and not enough to get anywhere without additional expense.....that is why I was wondering if it might be a worthwhile pursuit to ask for a voucher with more value, say $400 or $500 cuz then I actually COULD go somewhere, ya know? I know my loyalty (since 1984) is meaningless in the big scheme of things but I was just over thinking....thanks for your input..I definitely appreciate your thoughts

Originally Posted by LilAbner
OP needs to remove the ladies name from his first post.
Verboten on FT!!
removed...sorry..i had forgotten that rule...and thanks for your input....

I played Lon'some Polecat in my high school production of L'il Abner!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i guess it is up to you what is most important - a cash payment or a voucher for >$ than you actually spent. this isnt bad compensation, but its not great either.

i would write them back and press for more, request cash compensation since that is what the UC told you, and maybe you will get a larger voucher. i would also bring up that you were not delivered to your destination until 24 hrs after your scheduled arrival.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
That's better than what I got. I was headed to SAN and got diverted to LAX once due to fog. If the flight weren't delayed 2hrs, it would have arrived well ahead of the fog. Anyways, they ran out of buses and they told us to rent a car. Ended up costing about $180 for the car and gas. I submitted receipts and they only reimbursed me $150. Your voucher seems fair though
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
Due to circumstances at the departing gate in ORD on 7/31, I missed my LAX connection to TUS. I was told by a nice lady in the terminal 7 Club, and it was confirmed by the Elite call center, that there were no hotels available but that I should book my own and submit the receipts. I asked and was told there were no parameters in terms of price.

Because Tmobile's service in the club at Terminal 7 is abysmal, I ended up at the Westin in Long Beach, instead of LAX, and had to use Super Shuttle to get there (and had an awesome presidential suite all to my lonesome self, but that is a different tale).

When I got home the next EVENING (who knew there were NO morning flights from LA to Tucson!?), I submitted the claim with the receipts. I got a response today from UA saying they would provide only up to $90 for the hotel and $40 for the transportation. This is why I has asked for the price parameters, and when there were none provided I got what I thought was a reasonable middle ground rate, but more than $90, and super shuttle was more than $40. In lieu of cash, however, they offered me a travel voucher of $300 which is more than my expenses.

I am not sure what I should do. The voucher could obviously be used toward another trip though i have nothing planned that isn't already paid for, but I am wondering if I should just ask for my expenses to be reimbursed.

Granted, I got points for the Westin stay, plus a night's stay towards status (is there anything after Platinum Preferred?), points for the credit card charges, and 1.5 flight credits instead of just the 1 I would have gotten on my original flight due to a change in class....

I feel like UA comes out on top if I take the voucher, which must be used on UA....not that I want to be on top (this time). But you know what I mean, don't you? Should I ask for a voucher of a usable amount (can't get anywhere from Tucson for $300 anymore), or just be happy I got a response at all and suck it up and pay my credit card bill.

ITTIA
I remember this story. This was the deliberately booked 35 minute connection to the last TUS flight of the day.

UA has IMO been more than generous.

I would calmly thank them for their offer, but reiterate that two agents said that while there was no limitation on expenses, you did the best you could to mitigate unnecessary costs that night.

In that light, you'd appreciate either a check for the full amount, or a travel voucher in a more substantial amount, considering it's valid only on United, and there could be fees to use it (I think there are, but check on that before stating it).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has a valid argument for a $130 cash reimbursement and that's it. I suspect that the $300 voucher contains about as much of a CS gesture as OP is going to see (put simply $270 for his troubles).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kacee
I remember this story. This was the deliberately booked 35 minute connection to the last TUS flight of the day.

UA has IMO been more than generous.
with all due respect, if UA is going to sell the ticket with the 35 minute connection it is on them to stand behind it...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ddrost1
with all due respect, if UA is going to sell the ticket with the 35 minute connection it is on them to stand behind it...
Just offering my opinion. Which was based on several dubious circumstances, including never any credible explanation why a hotel was booked in Long Beach for an LAX layover.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Sounds a lot like what happened to this person:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21259714-post43.html
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

the reason for Long Beach was because when I called the LAX westin, the connection was really bad. I said I was at LAX and was seeing availability at the hotel on the web site but not able to book a room. The woman I spoke to said she had a king room available..garble garble....I said yes please and provided CC info. She booked res and then said I needed to take super shuttle to get there. I asked why, the westin LAX is basically across the street...isn't there a complimentary shuttle? she said no this is the Long Beach Westin. I said why did you put me THERE when I said I wanted the LAX one? Oh, she said, we don't have any rooms there...and oh yeah, your credit card charge is now non refundable....so that is how i ended up in friggin' long beach

Originally Posted by Often1
OP has a valid argument for a $130 cash reimbursement and that's it. I suspect that the $300 voucher contains about as much of a CS gesture as OP is going to see (put simply $270 for his troubles).
i don't see it that way. I was not told I could only spend $130 even after I asked. The hotel plus tax plus super shuttle plus tip plus something to eat that night and some breakfast came in at about $275 so I am not "getting" $270 for my trouble. I am OUT $275, and am being offered to fly again, for a trip i don't really need, not that $300 will get me anywhere, nor will it pay my credit card bill...

BUT, thanks guys...your input has been very useful and I appreciate it all very much!
best regards

Originally Posted by zrs70
Sounds a lot like what happened to this person:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21259714-post43.html
that IS me...with more of the details...but i didn't want to bore you with all that since the question was much simpler...would it be worth my effort to ask for a greater voucher or not....and y'all have definitely answered my question, so thank you

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 21, 2013 at 4:51 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
that IS me...with more of the details...but i didn't want to bore you with all that since the question was much simpler...would it be worth my effort to ask for a greater voucher or not....and y'all have definitely answered my question, so thank you
I'll go ahead and close this thread then; thanks.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.