Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routes with higher upgrade chances on UA to Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routes with higher upgrade chances on UA to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Help with finding R space for GPU use please

Hi,
I spent over an hour reading the threads related to this, purchased premium Expert Flyer, and did searches here on FT for Expert Flyer, GPU and R space and must be missing it.
I am going back to Milan in September, total flexibility on dates and don't care which country I land in, but can't find R space from US to the continent.
Am I doomed to doing just pair after pair of random city searches with multiple dates on expert flyer?
Is there an easier way?
Thanks so much for your help.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dahaberm
Hi,
I spent over an hour reading the threads related to this, purchased premium Expert Flyer, and did searches here on FT for Expert Flyer, GPU and R space and must be missing it.
I am going back to Milan in September, total flexibility on dates and don't care which country I land in, but can't find R space from US to the continent.
Am I doomed to doing just pair after pair of random city searches with multiple dates on expert flyer?
Is there an easier way?
Thanks so much for your help.
I randomly tried ORD-LHR on 9/11 (hope that date it ok) and R5 popped up at 4pm.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the best way is to work from a single gateway in US and cycle through the gateways in EU with flexible dates on expert flyer

AMS, BRU, LHR are generally *fairly* reliable for R space.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ddrost1
the best way is to work from a single gateway in US and cycle through the gateways in EU with flexible dates on expert flyer

AMS, BRU, LHR are generally *fairly* reliable for R space.
As I don't use EF, and do use from united.com to find inventory, I would amend the above to say, "start from a single gateway" in the US.

I generally start with ORD, IAD, and EWR, and try each EU destination for each origin. I've never had to resort to SFO, IAH, or LAX, though of course, if one leaves near those hubs, those are the ones to start with.

I agree that AMS and BRU are good places to start if the goal is to quickly get a confirmed upgrade without messing around, especially if there is more than one or two people in your itin.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The GPU thread includes a fantastic new trick by sbm12 aka "wandering aramean" to do this search now.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
The GPU thread includes a fantastic new trick by sbm12 aka "wandering aramean" to do this search now.
Link to GPU thread? And is there a new Lufthansa GPU Upgrade Experiences thread? I can't find a new one? Trying to find the eligible fare grades for an upcoming trip I need to book. I remember Z was not longer a valid upgrade fare for paper GPUs, but I'm looking for economy-to-business not business-to-first.

Last edited by Azurik; May 15, 2013 at 11:47 am
Old May 15, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Azurik
Link to GPU thread? And is there a new Lufthansa GPU Upgrade Experiences thread? I can't find a new one? Trying to find the eligible fare grades for an upcoming trip I need to book. I remember Z was not longer a valid upgrade fare for paper GPUs, but I'm looking for economy-to-business not business-to-first.
http://www.wandr.me/Star-Alliance-ANA-Award-Search.aspx

Gave you the link to the tool itself.

Look here for the background on the tool. http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewanderingaramean/
Old May 15, 2013, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks!

Thanks so much. I will get to work. Yes there are 2 of us and since it is my daughter's college graduation trip I wanted to get the upgrade for both of us.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question Routes with higher upgrade chances on UA to Europe?

Since i can't find much open upgrade space going from LAX to europe I'd like to find a route to a major hub (FRA, MUC, ZRH etc) with higher SWU upgrade chances - SEA-NRT of europe...
Eventual destination is MOW so i'll be taking two connections from LAX ayways. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
consider AMS, BRU, ... as the european gateway
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
I'm heading from IAD to PRG on Sunday Dec 8. I am willing to connect anywhere in Europe though I would prefer to skip FRA and CDG. My intention is to use an SWU courtesy of my traveling companion, a 1K. Right now, no flights show upgrade space, yet C looks wide open on all of the flights I've looked at. Is this common? Should we book now and hope for upgrades to clear, or wait to see if anything opens up? What routing makes most sense? AMS flights are going for Y or M though most seats are not assigned.

Last edited by hopel; Aug 20, 2013 at 5:36 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by hopel
Right now, no flights show upgrade space, yet C looks wide open on all of the flights I've looked at. Is this common? Should we book now and hope for upgrades to clear, or wait to see if anything opens up? What routing makes most sense? AMS flights are going for Y or M though most seats are not assigned.
Yes, it is entirely common to see open seats in first but no upgrade space. The number of available seats doesn't have a direct relationship to upgrade space. It just depends on how many seats UA thinks it can sell before handing some out for free.

If you really want to be in BusinessFirst, you should find upgrade space at booking. No guarantee that the upgrade will clear off the waitlist. Can you depart out of a different US city (EWR, for example)?

As others have said in the thread, AMS and BRU are common "go-to" cities for those looking for a connecting point in Europe, but it can vary. Happy hunting.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:06 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by hopel
I'm heading from IAD to PRG on Sunday Dec 8. I am willing to connect anywhere in Europe though I would prefer to skip FRA and CDG. My intention is to use an SWU courtesy of my traveling companion, a 1K. Right now, no flights show upgrade space, yet C looks wide open on all of the flights I've looked at. Is this common? Should we book now and hope for upgrades to clear, or wait to see if anything opens up? What routing makes most sense? AMS flights are going for Y or M though most seats are not assigned.
I know you wanted to avoid FRA, but it appears there is a seat you can confirm now (if you act fast) on #932 (IAD to FRA).
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Reg
I flew out of BRU to IAD with my girlfriend the other day and we were both upgraded (not using SWUs, I'm *G) at check-in. Y is almost always full and C was not very full. There is no F product on this flight, afaik.

Also, do note that it will switch from a 777 to a 767 when it's off season.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
a very easy flight to upgrade is the early (5pm) departure from ORD-LHR. often this flight is R9. however the time adjustment can be miserable as you arrive at <6am.

IAD/ORD-AMS/BRU as other have mentioned are easier than most

keep an eye on MUC as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.