Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't book US Airways awards on united.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

I am searching for an award flight.... ANd it doesn't show any Star Alliance flight, namely US Airways...
Just realized the title might be misleading - I'm using UA miles and my UA account on united.com to search...

I've done this before, a while ago...And the "ask alex" returns this:
You can book award travel with us or many of our partners on this Web page up to 337 days in advance. However, certain travel awards may only be booked over the phone, for example travel awards involving itineraries with stopovers and flights operated by certain carriers. An Award Booking Service Fee may apply to phone bookings, regardless of whether it may be booked online. View Page

thoughts? is this not possible anymore?

-Mike
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Do you have UA only flights box checked? I was looking at award travel this morning and US was definitely an option, down at the very bottom, listed under partners.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I tried with checked and unchecked - oddly, if I check it, it shows me flights at 12.5k miles that show up as 25k/50k only, but that's another [disturbing] issue.

Anyhow - I'm searching DAY-MCO - for sure does NOT list any US flights..
If I search DAY-CLT, it shows the section "Partner Flights with stops", but does not show the direct US Airways DAY-CLT flights.

Odd.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You will only see US flights on flights where US has made award availability available to partners — if there's zero inventory, you will not be shown that it's a non-option.

The US award patterns are a bit different from UA's. Take a look at the US hourly shuttles BOS-DCA/BOS-PHL/BOS-CLT. A few weeks in advance, you'll see saver Y space on most/all of those flights. A few days in advance, all the way up to the day of departure, you'll see saver J space on almost every flight but practically no saver Y space — a bit strange, but just how they seem to work lately.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Is it specific dates? It won't show partners if they don't have saver available as since standard awards are UA only.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

That must be it, availability to UA... As the award shows up on US's site...
ho hum. yay star alliance /sarcasm.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nekbet
That must be it, availability to UA... As the award shows up on US's site...
ho hum. yay star alliance /sarcasm.
The availability they provide to UA is the same as they provide to all other *A partners. Is it available on the US site as an award at the lowest rate? (saver equivalent on UA)?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Available on US at 30k miles, which is their equiv to UA's 25k
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I booked 2 C class rt to the World Cup next year on US, so you should be able to find it if its available
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
No, you're wrong. US low is 12.5K miles one-way in coach, US medium is 20K one way, US high is 30K one-way.You won't see anything other than low on UA. If it's 30K award on US for DAY-MCO, you won't see that on UA.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
No, US has a 25K price, and that's what is bookable with UA. You must be seeing the high rate of 30K per way.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No, you're wrong. US low is 12.5K miles one-way in coach, US medium is 20K one way, US high is 30K one-way.You won't see anything other than low on UA. If it's 30K award on US for DAY-MCO, you won't see that on UA.
Absolutely correct.

And on the days where there is availability for UA partners, those flights do show:

Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
No, US has a 25K price, and that's what is bookable with UA. You must be seeing the high rate of 30K per way.
So I went to other dates on the US website... So no 25k, but 30k is their high for coach.
For coach:
12,500 miles / Economy
20,000 miles / Economy
30,000 miles / Economy

oh well.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I love how OP's response to all the work FT did to correct his mistakes and assumptions is.....oh well.

Last edited by aacharya; Aug 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Today I booked US F ROC-PHL-LAX one-way (Nov 27) for 25k UNITED miles. Both flights have F cabins which is pretty sweet given the crap offered on UNITED metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.