Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Exit Rows on CRJ No Longer Blocked for General Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:39 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

I fly the devil's chariot every trip I take. As we all know, the CRJ-200 is the toilet of the skies.

For me, the only thing that makes it bearable is that as a 1K choosing Row 8 is that more often than not, if there's going to be an empty seat on the plane, it's going to be next to me, since it used to be that you had to be Gold or higher to book it, even at check-in...

Was helping a not-so-savvy co-worker select his seats at check-in a few days ago...General member, no UA credit card, inexpensive S or T fare. The only 'seat pairs' (for an empty seat next to him) were the exit rows, 8AB and 8CD. I told him, "You can try clicking on 8B or 8C, but I think it's going to charge you for them".

He clicked on them, and voila, he was in 8C.

Months ago, those seats would have been X'd out for a general member.

I know these are not extra legroom seats, and my only benefit of booking it was for the increased chance of no one next to me...I thought the theory was great, "If we're going to have an empty seat on the plane, at least try to get it for an elite member". But now it seems as if any schmo can select the exit rows on the CRJ! (At check-in, it was still blocked for him up until then).

This would also explain why my percentage of empties next to me (on less than full flights) has dropped recently.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:44 pm

I just tried on a dummy booking and it is still blocked for me...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In most cases, where there is any extra legroom, those seats are designated as E+. E+ seats are available to some elites at booking, and to others T-24.

Elite blocking is a bit different, and to my knowledge prior to this thread, it was only done for the forward part of PMCO planes without E+. (I guess PS J is another example, though.) Elite blocked seats are inaccessible to GM's at booking, even if they're willing to pay money.

Looking at the seatmap, it looks like UA doesn't designate the seats as E+, but doesn't have them greyed in the way they normally do with the elite blocking. However, they do seem to be blocked for GM's. Interesting, never knew this.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
For me, the only thing that makes it bearable is that as a 1K choosing Row 8 is that more often than not, if there's going to be an empty seat on the plane, it's going to be next to me, since it used to be that you had to be Gold or higher to book it, even at check-in...
Interesting. Your strategy is the exact opposite of mine. If I want an empty seat next to me on any plane, I always avoid the exit rows. I figure they fill up faster than any other elite blocked seats - even on planes with no extra room in the emergency exit like the ERJ-145 or CRJ-200.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Interesting. Your strategy is the exact opposite of mine. If I want an empty seat next to me on any plane, I always avoid the exit rows. I figure they fill up faster than any other elite blocked seats - even on planes with no extra room in the emergency exit like the ERJ-145 or CRJ-200.
My experience matches MBS MillionMiler's. Fortunately I don't have to take the CR2 much anymore, but I often got the empty neighboring seat in the exit row. Sometimes, the only two empty seats on the plane were the one next to me and one next to the guy across the aisle. Of course, I have to imagine this varies depending on the city pair and how many elites fly the route.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, AA EXP (UA Status Match)
Another reason I take the exit row on the CRJ is to flee from this miserable aircraft first in case on an emergency.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:15 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I just tried on a dummy booking and it is still blocked for me...
Note that I said "at check in" in my OP. They were blocked for him from the time he booked until he checked in.

Originally Posted by PMUAflyer
Another reason I take the exit row on the CRJ is to flee from this miserable aircraft first in case on an emergency.
That is funny. ^
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
On routes like ORD-MBS and LAX-SBP there are typically very few Premiers and I have had good luck booking an exit row and having an empty seat next to me. I woud not have expected that had it not been my actual experience, but I have experienced it many times. In the case of MBS most really frequent flyers pick DL - because if you make it to DTW you can always drive home - and in the case of SBP it is just too remote and anyone that travels every week probably moves to be closer to a major airport. That or people don't see a reason to leave a beautiful city that does not allow fast food drive thru windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.