Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "In Seat AC Power Issues / Experiences / Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Two common power issues
1. Changer draws more than 75W -- most on-aircraft AC outlets are limited to max 75Ws
Fixes
Purchase a 75W or less charge for your computer
Change computer settings not to charge the battery, reducing power drain
Remove your computer battery (if removable)
2. AC plug will not stay in place or power module will not fit (especially Apple power modules)
Fixes
Use 3-prong adapters -- such as USA 2 to 3 prong adapter or UK adapter
Use a short travel extension cord
Slightly bend prongs outward (very slightly)
AC Power not working?
-- for some aircraft power is unavailable on landing/takeoff (until 10,000 ft ?)
-- sporadic reports (just certain aircraft) that due to excessive overall passenger AC power usage, some seats will have their power disabled -- very unclear how this works "Rotating" availability of electricity on 737s?
Most aircraft have a green light in the receptacle showing power availability, some aircraft have a blue light on the aisle side of the seat showing availability
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "In Seat AC Power Issues / Experiences / Questions"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Now that's good info ^ In case it happens in the future @:-)

So far I've had pretty good luck, at least using power outlets.
It really bothers me that something UA advertises has to be requested. This is channel 9 all over again. I just don't want this to ultimately end up being a FA decision on whether or not there is power available.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold
The thing that puzzles me the most is changing the order of plugging in the individual pieces of my Nexus 7 makes a difference. Everything connected and working on ground power. Then power comes back on at 10,000 and tablet is not charging. Unplug. Light goes green. Plug back in, green light goes off and no charging. So then unplug the cable from tablet. Plug in the adapter to the outlet. Next connect power cable to device, and now it's working. sUA plugs seem more finicky and location is terrible for the plug/unplug game.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTstudent
The thing that puzzles me the most is changing the order of plugging in the individual pieces of my Nexus 7 makes a difference. Everything connected and working on ground power. Then power comes back on at 10,000 and tablet is not charging. Unplug. Light goes green. Plug back in, green light goes off and no charging. So then unplug the cable from tablet. Plug in the adapter to the outlet. Next connect power cable to device, and now it's working. sUA plugs seem more finicky and location is terrible for the plug/unplug game.
Part of this is likely the turn-on charging surge of the power adapter. Power adapters when power is first applied look essentially like a short circuit for a short time. Once the AD to DC convertor is "charged up" then the current draw is normal. In a system with a low current level circuit "breaker" (like they are on plane) and fast response, the protection circuit may kick in. Unplug / reconnect will reset the protection circuit and because the power module will stay partially charged, the retry turn-on surge then will be much lower. Might take a couple of tries if not done quickly. The dynamics of this is very depending on the circuit protection and the power module and the device connected.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The short answer is that the in-seat power systems are not intended to be used.

Or at least, that's the way they were designed.

The outlets have very low current limits. Go over the limit, they shut off. Things that go over the limit include... pretty much everything.

Your best chance of success is don't try and charge a battery and use a laptop at the same time, and plug in your adapter first and then wait a bit for the capacitors in the adapter to charge up before plugging your adapter into your device.

I also carry a separate power adapter for my laptop that I know maxes out at 65W just for use on airplanes. Usually works, but if my laptop is on, only charges the batter a couple of percent per hour.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311

Or at least, that's the way they were designed.

The outlets have very low current limits. Go over the limit, they shut off. Things that go over the limit include... pretty much everything.
Never heard of a phone, pad, tablet, e-reader, ..... that would not work. Most laptops also work fine -- but not the high-end large screen performance laptops -- which is not a huge percentage of the market,

.... I also carry a separate power adapter for my laptop that I know maxes out at 65W just for use on airplanes. Usually works, but if my laptop is on, only charges the batter a couple of percent per hour.
For those with 17" workstation level laptops that is a good solution, at least the battery level is maintained and will charge better when idle/closed.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm

Your best chance of success is don't try and charge a battery and use a laptop at the same time, and plug in your adapter first and then wait a bit for the capacitors in the adapter to charge up before plugging your adapter into your device.

I also carry a separate power adapter for my laptop that I know maxes out at 65W just for use on airplanes. Usually works, but if my laptop is on, only charges the batter a couple of percent per hour.
I use a 17" high power Laptop for scientific work and only have about 25% success on UA, regardless of aircraft type or cabin. I often find that repeated attempts to plug it in will eventually allow it to "grab" power. Once connected, I'm usually able to stay powered up, although not always. So, my suggestion is to keep trying and you may get powered up. Using a slower charger can help, but not easily compatible with my computer. I rarely have problems with tablet chargers on UA, so it is a pretty low amount of power they dribble out to PAX. Really annoying when I'm trying to work, but better than nothing, I suppose.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Idiosyncrasies with AC Power

When flying EWR-ORD in F on the 737-900 and ORD-PEK on the upper deck of the 747, I was having problems charging my devices. It seams that sometimes, not always, when I plugged my charger into the AC power, the green light would go off, and it would come back on when I pulled it out. It happened more on the second half of both flights. I was only trying to charge my iPad with a 2.1 Amp charger. Thankfully in J they had the USB plug as well. While that did not provide enough power to charge my iPad, it definitely kept it from draining as fast.

Flying home, we will be on the sCO 777-200ER NRT-EWR in Y. We are taking codeshare NQ or NH from CAN to NRT and we only have about two hours on the ground, so I may not get everything fully recharged. We are returning in Y so we won’t have the USB plug.

Are there any tricks or idiosyncrasies with the power that would prevent it from failing halfway through the flight? Is there anything I can do to prevent the green light from turning off when I plug something in? Is there anything the FA’s can do if I have that problem?

Thanks in advanced.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Odds are your device is drawing too much power and tripping the internal circuit breaker on the outlet. That's also why the USB plug only gave it enough juice to keep running rather than to also charge.

As for the mid-flight thing, I believe there are groups of outlets on the same circuit in addition to individual overload protection so the issue may have been related to you and your fellow passengers together all drawing too much power.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Using the USB charging limits the amps (.5A or 1A) to 1/4 or 1/2 of what the wall charger uses thus not tripping the breaker for the circuit.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I was only trying to charge my iPad with a 2.1 Amp charger.
Curious. My Apple MagSafe 2 charger pulls 3.05 amps and I've never experienced this particular problem. The more common issue is the charger won't stay in the socket.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Odds are your device is drawing too much power and tripping the internal circuit breaker on the outlet.
I think it would be more accurate to say that, in the aggregate, the users on the circuit were pulling too much power. A 2 amp pull is not in itself a problem. Also, I recall reading an explanation of how the system works, and my recollection is that calling this a circuit breaker trip is not really an accurate description. It's more like a phased blackout based on aggregate draw.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I was only trying to charge my iPad with a 2.1 Amp charger.
Curious. My Apple MagSafe 2 charger pulls 3.05 amps and I've never experienced this particular problem. The more common issue is the charger won't stay in the socket.
Beside the steady state current value, the other key parameter is the turn-on surge -- the current that is drawn at initial turn-on / plugging in. It is determined by the design and is typically not an issue with normal 15A service but can be in a reduce capacity system like this situation.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:11 am

So why would UA design a system that is unable to handle the load that one can reasonably expect it to be used at?

Then again, why would they buy a wifi system that can't handle capacity either. I guess I just answered my own question.

$$$$$$$$$$$
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
So why would UA design a system that is unable to handle the load that one can reasonably expect it to be used at?

Then again, why would they buy a wifi system that can't handle capacity either. I guess I just answered my own question.

$$$$$$$$$$$
Is it a trivial engineering issue to provide unlimited power on an airplane? And regardless, UA didn't design the power systems on airplanes. Finally, the reasonable expectations for in-seat power usage on airplanes have changed dramatically since the time most airplane power systems were designed and now.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:55 am

When flying EWR-ORD in F on the 737-900 and ORD-PEK on the upper deck of the 747, I was having problems charging my devices. It seams that sometimes, not always, when I plugged my charger into the AC power, the green light would go off, and it would come back on when I pulled it out. It happened more on the second half of both flights. I was only trying to charge my iPad with a 2.1 Amp charger. Thankfully in J they had the USB plug as well. While that did not provide enough power to charge my iPad, it definitely kept it from draining as fast.

Flying home, we will be on the sCO 777-200ER NRT-EWR in Y. We are taking codeshare NQ or NH from CAN to NRT and we only have about two hours on the ground, so I may not get everything fully recharged. We are returning in Y so we won’t have the USB plug.

Are there any tricks or idiosyncrasies with the power that would prevent it from failing halfway through the flight? Is there anything I can do to prevent the green light from turning off when I plug something in? Is there anything the FA’s can do if I have that problem?

Thanks in advanced.
The physical plug itself is also "checked" to avoid anything besides an accepted plug type. This system can be particularly finicky with two-pronged adapters and one power is cut it will remain cut until the device is completely removed an reinserted. That may have been your issue, my suggestion would be to grab a something with a ground plug (a good example would be
this this
or a short extension cord, although your local hardware store should have it at a much better price).

$$$$$$$$$$$
Actually every power system has almost the exact same design due to the safety regulations (which are a very good idea). Electricity is both the life-blood of complex avionics (and in the case of the 787 used extensively in the flight controls) and of extreme potential danger to the aircraft. Both of those needs come before the outlet under your seat and require complex systems (with very conservative limits) to service.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by wto605
Electricity is both the life-blood of complex avionics (and in the case of the 787 used extensively in the flight controls) and of extreme potential danger to the aircraft. Both of those needs come before the outlet under your seat and require complex systems (with very conservative limits) to service.
So you're saying that a system that can provide enough power to power a laptop for 180 (or however many) passengers on a 777 has the ability to bring down an aircraft, and thus the power is rationed to prevent this. I can totally accept this answer.

Now, in the case of the narrow-body aircraft (less 737-900s), that only have power in F and Y+, would there be maybe a little more power available for each user, since fewer people are plugging into the system?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Beside the steady state current value, the other key parameter is the turn-on surge -- the current that is drawn at initial turn-on / plugging in. It is determined by the design and is typically not an issue with normal 15A service but can be in a reduce capacity system like this situation.
So for a high powered device such as a MacBook Pro, might it be first come first serve? In other words, plug it in as soon as you reach 10,000 feet and keep it plugged in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.