Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Rotating" availability of electricity on 737s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: unavaca
tl;dr: yes

Originally Posted by UA MOC
On all [737] aircraft there is a power limiting system in place to prevent passengers from overloading the system. Bottom line, this is not a house outlet.

Excessive power demands can shut off an outlet, a seat group, or even an entire grid column.

The in-seat power system also seems to employ some sort of power creep system. At the start of a flight you might have a laptop plugged into every seat, but after a while the system will start to shut off some outlets in order to conserve power.

The power creep effect may seem like it is cycling through outlets. It may shut off outlets that are drawing too much power and then let other outlets have power because they weren’t drawing as much.

The outlets are also tricky about their safety features, which are
FAA required.

-You must plug straight into the outlet and do so quickly or the outlet will detect an improper connection and shut off to prevent a shock. This feature is there to prevent kids from sticking forks into the outlet and such.
-If the plug becomes misaligned (bumping it) the outlet may detect a fault and power off.
-If there is a green light the outlet power is available.
-If there is no green light, it means the outlet has detected a fault and you should unplug and try it again.
-If there is no light and you are unplugged, it means that either the system does not have enough power to spare or the safety grid system has activated and powered off the outlet.

The system is also set up to detect shorts or numerous faults.

For example, trying to plug in over and over again. If there is a red light, it means the system has detected a bad, or numerous bad, faults and has shut off. If this occurs, the only remedy is for Maintenance to reset the system.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21535032-post24.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; United (Continental) Million Miler; Hilton Diamond

Heard a new one from FA on DEN-SMF this morning, and wondering if anyone can confirm or debunk.

My husband, sitting in row 21, was able to get power to his laptop prior to takeoff. But during the flight, no power. When he asked about this, one of the FAs said that the availability of electricity rotates to different seats throughout the flight, because if everyone used the electric outlets at the same time, it would be a problem.

Huh?? We've both been flying for decades, have 2.5M miles on United between us, and we have never heard anything remotely like this. Our BS detectors are buzzing away. But at the same time, we find it hard to imagine that an FA could be so disrespectful as to lie to our faces. Could this be true? Or could the FA believe it is? BTW, the power never did come on.

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mdf-nyc
.... Our BS detectors are buzzing away. ...
as they should
....But at the same time, we find it hard to imagine that an FA could be so disrespectful as to lie to our faces. ...
yes, the first time you realized that has happening is very shattering. Something like a Santa Claus/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fair ... event.
....Could this be true? Or could the FA believe it is? ....
maybe but mostly likely just made it up or heard someone else say it -- go way to make the customer go away.

Most likely the circuit breaker for your seat / row had tripped.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:49 pm

When he asked about this, one of the FAs said that the availability of electricity rotates to different seats throughout the flight, because if everyone used the electric outlets at the same time, it would be a problem.

Inquiring minds want to know!
This F/A was 100% correct and the reason is that Venus rotates slowly on its axis in a clockwise direction, which is referred to as a "retrograde" rotation because it is the opposite of the seven other planets. A rotation takes 243 Earth days, so a Venusian day is longer than a Venusian year. As with the other inner planets, the surface of Venus has been shaped by impact craters, tectonic activity, and volcanoes which scientists believe to be ongoing. The volcanic activity is believed to be the source of the sulfur found in the atmosphere. Venus does not have any naturally occurring satellites which would mean that a 737 flying from east to west on Venus would need to rotate is power supply to each individual seat in an opposite direction rather than if it were flying around Uranus. @:-)

Little known facts from Cliff Clavin/UA (f/a) School of Aviation!

Last edited by LilAbner; Sep 30, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Also, if all the outlets were being used, the EM field around the plane might be strong enough to cause a reversal of the earth's magnetic core.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
It's not a lie. This has been proven several times. Never heard this on AA but it sounds like it's a limitation on UA.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
There's some thread in the forum that talks about the power limits and distribution onboard. The basic idea is that there is some maximum load that is provided and that when that load is reached the next thing plugged in will not get serviced.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LilAbner
This F/A was 100% correct and the reason is that Venus rotates slowly on its axis in a clockwise direction, which is referred to as a "retrograde" rotation because it is the opposite of the seven other planets. A rotation takes 243 Earth days, so a Venusian day is longer than a Venusian year. As with the other inner planets, the surface of Venus has been shaped by impact craters, tectonic activity, and volcanoes which scientists believe to be ongoing. The volcanic activity is believed to be the source of the sulfur found in the atmosphere. Venus does not have any naturally occurring satellites which would mean that a 737 flying from east to west on Venus would need to rotate is power supply to each individual seat in an opposite direction rather than if it were flying around Uranus. @:-)

Little known facts from Cliff Clavin/UA (f/a) School of Aviation!
When the moon is in the 7th power, and Jupiter aligns with Mars...
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
There's some thread in the forum that talks about the power limits and distribution onboard. The basic idea is that there is some maximum load that is provided and that when that load is reached the next thing plugged in will not get serviced.
So would plugging my Bose headset into one of these "Distribution Receptacle's" be the cause of power outages to others or the reason that my unit melted?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LilAbner
So would plugging my Bose headset into one of these "Distribution Receptacle's" be the cause of power outages to others or the reason that my unit melted?
Clearly it was because you forgot to put n your tin-fil hat prior to plugging in.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
It's not a lie. This has been proven several times.
Now I'm hopelessly confused. We have one respondent claiming definitely that it "has been proven several times," which is itself redundant, since you would think it would only have to be proven once.

And then we have every other poster ridiculing the notion of it.

So which is it? Is there technology onboard that restricts the number of units receiving power? And are there threads "proving" as much?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
The missing information from the OP's description is if other seat sockets were also not receiving power, or if it was just the seat in question.

Once the flight deck is no longer sterile (above 10k feet) then on most aircraft types the flight deck crew need to flick the switch to direct power back to the ports. Sometimes it isn't deactivated, but recently I've seen this occur when they are activated on the ground, off once disconnected from ground power supply (APU) and during taxi and takeoff, then reactivated above 10k feet.

The way to tell in future if it is just your seat or every seat relates to a small green LED light above the socket. If this is off but every other seat socket is on, you have a problem. If all are off, then the supply needs to be flipped on for all seats.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Now I'm hopelessly confused. We have one respondent claiming definitely that it "has been proven several times," which is itself redundant, since you would think it would only have to be proven once.

And then we have every other poster ridiculing the notion of it.

So which is it? Is there technology onboard that restricts the number of units receiving power? And are there threads "proving" as much?
I don't know what it proves, but I've been given the same line by UA flight attendants on the need to have rotating brown outs on the at seat power on the 737.

I'm sure that they will eventually offer an enhancement where you can swipe your credit card and obtain power throughout the flight.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau

The way to tell in future if it is just your seat or every seat relates to a small green LED light above the socket. If this is off but every other seat socket is on, you have a problem. If all are off, then the supply needs to be flipped on for all seats.
Originally Posted by transportprof
I don't know what it proves, but I've been given the same line by UA flight attendants on the need to have rotating brown outs on the at seat power on the 737.
Now I'm thoroughly confused!

Which is it? --- "A small green light" or a "Brown Out" that I'm supposed to be looking for??? These flight attendants, I tell ya, they're just full of all kinds of valuable poop!!!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
It's been confirmed this is true. I'm sure it saved some money. I've seen it happen. Once you are plugged in, don't unplug until you are sure you got enough power.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
FWIW, I was given the same explanation on a VX flight about 5 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.