Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experience / Questions with United's Trip Insurance (Allianz)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience / Questions with United's Trip Insurance (Allianz)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I don't know what program the OP is in, but if I cancel an award flight, I pay a cancellation fee and get the miles back. The insurance covers the fee. In any event, that's a minor feature of travel insurance - the big money lies elsewhere. Anyone had to pay for an air ambulance out of their own pocket?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by morelegroom
why what good is insurance if it doesnt pay for what is lost E.G.
e.g.
If you have paid for your trip using frequent flyer points or
similar air travel points and cannot recover the lost points
from any other source, we will pay you the value of your
lost points.

http://www.bupa.com.au/staticfiles/B...urance-pds.pdf
There isn't any objective way to calculate the monetary value of the lost points. And no insurance company can restore the points as such.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I always maintain annual travel insurance. Were I to cancel an award flight in a manner covered by the policy, it would merely pay out any cancellation charges.
I think some will arrange for AVIOS reinstatement

Originally Posted by JPG3392
There isn't any objective way to calculate the monetary value of the lost points. And no insurance company can restore the points as such.
I know of at least one product that purports to do so (but only for Avios).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 20, 2014 at 4:31 am Reason: multi-quoute
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, National Exec
Had a two week heli ski trip scheduled in Feb 2014. About 10 days before the trip, caught the flu which triggered vertigo. I couldn't stand up, much less expect to extreme ski. Doctor gave me the no fly for 3 weeks minimum. Had purchased Allianz insurance with my UA tickets. I had non refundable lodging and associated costs. Submitted all to Allianz, did a lot of back and forth submittals and cross verifications and its now the middle of Nov. (9 months later) and STILL NO REFUND. A few weeks ago they promised 4 days and they would be complete. Any ideas on how to proceed?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Don't restrict yourself to Allianz. You should also check TravelGuard (now owned by AIG). I have generally found their policies to be better than those offered by others.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
I think I am going to give it a shot with the Rewards Trip Protector offer. Mrs_dergon and I have a tight connection late afternoon to evening on a TATL CLE-EWR-ZRH. The odds of maybe missing the ZRH connection make me think about paying the $54 in case of delay.

Still I tend to feel self-insuring might just be better.

Decisions decisions.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I do it for family vacations for award tickets. Something like $45 or even $20, don't remember. My concern is some kind of accident and having to fly home early or with some kind of medical care enroute.

Daughter fell hit her head and later felt woozy and became unresponsive as we were trying to find a hospital. SIRI, frankly sucks for directions in high-stress situations. All ended well, but since we were just starting a SoCal trip ending later with a Disneyland visit, it was good the doc cleared her for all the activities and we didn't have to cut anything short. Ended up just using our standard health care with minimal expenses.

With kids, you never know how a trip can go sideways, and for us there is a 4x cost structure.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
The odds of maybe missing the ZRH connection make me think about paying the $54 in case of delay.
What will the insurance cover if you miss that connection? Are there limits such as why the connection is missed which may affect coverage? And do you believe that the insurance will provide you better services/handling than the airline will?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:41 pm

United Allianz Insurance vs. Others

Hi - I just made a purchase of about $2K for a family of 4 for a trip.

I had option to purchase Allianz insurance for $130, I still see that option under manage reservation.

I didn't realize some credit cards offer trip cancellation/interruption coverage. I regret just putting it on Amex Optima card because I was in a hurry.

Anyways, do you all recommend Allianz insurance that United offers? Or are there better options through like insuremytrip that would be better.

I know a lot depends on coverage but I am trying to see what best options I can utilize to add on now for a trip that is 6 months down the road.

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
It's exactly like any other insurance: some are more money, some are less. There are people who swear by Prudential, others who love Progressive.

If your looking for a better deal, just shop around.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
It's exactly like any other insurance: some are more money, some are less. There are people who swear by Prudential, others who love Progressive.

If your looking for a better deal, just shop around.
Thanks yeah I am checking out insuremytrip.

I just wasn't sure if purchasing through United would have an advantage.

I see some on insuremytrip which seem better, they include cancel for work reasons benefit as well.

i don't know if my quote can be seen but i narrowed it down to these:

https://www.insuremytrip.com/quote-c...pe#vgrid,ccfwr

I purchased on Amex because I know their customer service is great but just don't know if their services will be valid for purchase that will be over 90 days, as trip is in 6 months
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
United Airlines Trip Protector Insurance (Allianz) / Award Trip Insurance

I have previously purchased international vacation insurance through a standard broker, but those guys can't or won't refund the miles associated with Award flights, just the fees you pay at the time.

So

1) Does United's "in-house" trip insurance do what I need it to?

2) Is there a better option?

Example: the outright purchase of a Business Class Return to the UK in August is currently in the order of 4000SD plus 300USD in taxes and fees.
I believe that value can be fully insured(?).

A Return Business Award to the UK in August is 300,000 miles plus 260USD taxes and fees. That's a lot of miles to lose if the worst happens, getting 260 dollars back wouldn't ease much of the pain.

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Motorskills
A Return Business Award to the UK in August is 300,000 miles plus 260USD taxes and fees. That's a lot of miles to lose if the worst happens, getting 260 dollars back wouldn't ease much of the pain.
For a 1K, the award ticket would be refundable with no fee.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Motorskills
I have previously purchased international vacation insurance through a standard broker, but those guys can't or won't refund the miles associated with Award flights, just the fees you pay at the time.

So

1) Does United's "in-house" trip insurance do what I need it to?

2) Is there a better option?

Example: the outright purchase of a Business Class Return to the UK in August is currently in the order of 4000SD plus 300USD in taxes and fees.
I believe that value can be fully insured(?).

Thanks!
Can't you just cancel the trip, redeposit the miles?

Mileage redemptions are now one-ways - i.e. a return is two one-ways, so if something happens mid-trip, you just have to cancel/redeposit 2nd one-way. '

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem - how do you think you would lose the mileage?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
My wife is booked on an "S" fare from STL-NRT-BKK on 1/9/18. She is a low Premier Silver, with virtually little or no MP status. Yesterday she was diagnosed with the Influenza "A" virus, and she is currently hard down and feeling miserable. The doctor get well diagnosis approximates "5 Days" to get over it! We did purchase the Allianz travel insurance protection.
The questions now are: (1) should we simply cancel the reservation, or crap shoot and delay/change the itinerary - perhaps by two or three weeks? (2) What is the best way about doing a change? On-line by ourselves or through an CSR by phone? (3) Should I contact UA first and then Allianz insurance? How does one really go about this smartly?
Thanks in advance for any helpul or useful information. Happy New Year 2018.
Menko: confused:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.