Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA at SFO: use intl checkin for a domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something

Based on when I'm usually flying out of SFO, the intl G checkin desks are often completely empty of pax, whereas the main terminal 3 lines are atrocious.

Does anyone know if you can check in (and really only drop bags) at the intl G checkin desks if you're traveling on a donestic flight that departs from T3?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I don't think it would matter.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by ljwobker
Based on when I'm usually flying out of SFO, the intl G checkin desks are often completely empty of pax, whereas the main terminal 3 lines are atrocious.

Does anyone know if you can check in (and really only drop bags) at the intl G checkin desks if you're traveling on a donestic flight that departs from T3?
Yes, you can. Only difference I've been told (by the check in agents) is that the minimum baggage drop off time is T-60mins at the Int'l terminal v T-45mins at the domestic counters
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

By contrast, when checking in for the early afternoon flights to asia and europe, the int'l check in is a total zoo (I waited 45 mins in the 1K line last time), while domestic is dead empty.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Similar with queues to get through security. If one is busy head over the to the other terminal - 2 mins walk and save time.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Similar with queues to get through security. If one is busy head over the to the other terminal - 2 mins walk and save time.
Especially if you're coming in on BART, since I walk by the international security on the way over to terminal 3 anyway. If it's empty, I'll duck in there rather than walking over to the premier security checkpoint.

Originally Posted by Kacee
By contrast, when checking in for the early afternoon flights to asia and europe, the int'l check in is a total zoo (I waited 45 mins in the 1K line last time), while domestic is dead empty.
So you can check in at the domestic terminal for SFO-departing international flights? For some reason, I hadn't ever thought to do that, even while standing in that ridiculous line...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 7, 2013 at 10:42 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

My personal experiences are counter to the advice here. I showed up at the International terminal when united.com told me my domestic flight was leaving out of a G gate. Between the parking garage and the counter, there was an aircraft change and it was now leaving out of an F gate. They would gladly check me in, and I could go through security for domestic just fine, but they would not check my bag 90+ minutes before. They said they didn't have baggage routing from that counter to the domestic terminal.

YMMV, but I ended up schlepping my bag down to the T3 checkin and checking my bag there.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
You can certainly check in there. I've been told you can't drop/check bags there for domestic flights.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Well, technically bag check *could* be done. There is a line "downstairs" serving connecting flights as you leave customs/immigration where on-going pax can drop bags for domestic flights. But maybe you'd have to have an attached luggage tag obtained at the original check-in ex-US. Not sure if that line has the ability to create a luggage tag.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by BH62
Well, technically bag check *could* be done. There is a line "downstairs" serving connecting flights as you leave customs/immigration where on-going pax can drop bags for domestic flights. But maybe you'd have to have an attached luggage tag obtained at the original check-in ex-US. Not sure if that line has the ability to create a luggage tag.
Yes, from experience, they do, as I've checked in before on intl connecting to a separate domestic ticket. But I'm not sure if that counter is in the customs "no entry" zone so that may be an issue.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am not sure the official answer.

But in my experience, it is a no, even the trip may be international.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Yes and I do it ALL the time.

Reason? I like parking at the same place or else I am going to lose my car. 90% of my travel is international so I always park on floor 6 of the international parking garage.

This isn't an issue at all.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Hmm, sounds like there's some conflicting info here... My only real question is about checking / dropping bags. I can check in anywhere, but dropping bags at a shorter line would be really nice.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by RockinPete
Yes and I do it ALL the time.

Reason? I like parking at the same place or else I am going to lose my car. 90% of my travel is international so I always park on floor 6 of the international parking garage.

This isn't an issue at all.
Looks like our cars spend a lot of time next to each other. I always park on Level 6 in the same garage. For the same reason.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SF1K
Looks like our cars spend a lot of time next to each other. I always park on Level 6 in the same garage. For the same reason.
Why 6 though? I always part in G8 so I can access the airtrain station without using the elevator coming and going. I could see a case made for 3 (walkway level) or 7 (can access airtrain toward terminals without escalator or elevator, but requires both on way home) as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.