Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will the new premier qualifying requirements spawn Dollar Runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the new premier qualifying requirements spawn Dollar Runs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda
The thought that this is somehow causing UA to fly larger planes than warranted is laughable.
^

Not just fly larger planes, but fly larger planes with the effect of decreasing net revenue!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Im sure some folks who can afford it and need 1K will pony up the $10K , but comes 2015 Im equally positive there will be a heck of a lot less 1Ks then there are today and PPs will swell. Not many people who are on their own Dime will pony up the $10k since they wouldn't be getting enough back in return.
If I had to crystal ball 2015 I would guess this captures it. MR will end because miles will be devalued for anyone below 1K so that they can't be used, ergo they won't be worth chasing. Spend them now.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Someone is going to buy those seats at the offered prices. The thought that this is somehow causing UA to fly larger planes than warranted is laughable.
Your theory is that UA doesn't get to choose how many tickets to offer, at what price? Who do you think is imposing those choices on them, the Illuminati? This is just getting weird.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Your theory is that UA doesn't get to choose how many tickets to offer, at what price? Who do you think is imposing those choices on them, the Illuminati? This is just getting weird.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

That's your own theory, sir.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:59 pm
Suspended

I don't understand the theory that says if there were no MRs then UA would have to offer exactly the same number of tickets of each fare class on every flight. I think it's obvious they wouldn't.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: WN A-list, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Titanium
Even if UA reduces capacity, there would always be times and routes when the seats will fly unoccupied if the price is too high. Thus, there would be always sales and MR fares, which will be profitable for UA at the margin. Furthermore, there are the occasional price wars that maybe unprofitable per se but are in the long run strategic games.

Originally Posted by craz
exactly my thoughts, anyone going for 1K will simply up fare whatever fare they will be buying. Most 1Ks Id assume who don't do MRs will be very close to $10k anyways, so most likely it wont require call that much extra out of their pockets.

I don't expect many who earned 1K by MRing to spend $10k to maintain that level, and will use the $25k on the CC for the wavier, ne result may actually be less $$$ coming into UA
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
You are very, very, very, very, very, very confused about why airlines are offering those fares.
I agree too!

Originally Posted by bseller
Speaking for the poster - I'd say it's pretty simple:

UA doesn't LOSE money when it sells seats. It loses money when it sells them for less than it's costs.

MR's do NOT cause the loss of money. They simply pay for passage offered by UA.
Dave
Originally Posted by mgcsinc

So, you think UA offers MR-esque fares rather than reducing capacity? That would be, in a word, insane.

MR's are not keeping UA from doing a damn thing.
How do you know?

Without the MRers they could have offered fewer seats on that route, which would give them both lower costs and lower revenue. Whether they come out better or worse with the MRs is a complex calculation even for them (with the data), and impossible for us to say.
Me, too.

Someone is going to buy those seats at the offered prices. The thought that this is somehow causing UA to fly larger planes than warranted is laughable.
I don't understand the theory that says if there were no MRs then UA would have to offer exactly the same number of tickets of each fare class on every flight. I think it's obvious they wouldn't.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyersky1
Even if UA reduces capacity, there would always be times and routes when the seats will fly unoccupied if the price is too high.
Sure. But that's not where the fares taken by MRers come from.

Safeway doesn't sell oranges at a loss only when they have already sold all of the oranges they can sell at a profit, and they have some left over. Neither does UA.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I'll second that. It would be nice if they did count, but I just don't see them doing so.
Great, go resolve this question in the PQD's thread's wikipost.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:59 pm

So, are you saying that they would run the same planes but charge more for tickets (economically impossible), or that they're currently running bigger planes to make space for ultra-discount fares (insane)?

Safeway doesn't sell oranges at a loss only when they have already sold all of the oranges they can sell at a profit, and they have some left over. Neither does UA.

Where do they come from, the stork?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
LOL, so you're claiming that MRers buying cheap tickets somehow cause UA to want to sell more of those cheap tickets? That's about the most ridiculous logic I've ever read.

Someone will buy the cheap tickets which UA offers. Inventory Management chooses how many of those (and at what price, and when) to offer those.

No one has made that claim.

The claim is that UA chooses to offer some tickets at a cheap price, and those tickets are going to be bought, be they by MRers or Kettles or business travelers. UA still offers pricier tickets, so the cheap tickets aren't displacing pax who would otherwise elect to buy the pricier ones (for flexibility, for example), and UA IM won't offer the cheap tickets if they think they can sell pricier ones (and that's what capacity controls are on the cheap buckets!).

However, if you think UA is offering cheap tickets because they're being bought by MRers, that's some pretty twisted reasoning. Someone is buying the cheapo tickets (which UA chooses to offer, BTW; no one is forcing them to do so, except, of course, if they were to pull a WN and claim to be running a sale and then not offer a single ticket at that price--then the FTC might have some arm-twisting to perform, but that's a different matter entirely).
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Only for the foolish
^^^. But then again I think anyone that would get in a plane for no reason other then to take a ride lacking in mental health anyway

What would people think of someone who just took lots of taxis around and around for no reason other then to be considered a good customer of the taxi company ???

The best part of the new $$ qual minimums is not the actual thinning of the ranks, but the fact that more and more 1K's will have this status for no other reason then they MUST spend a lot of time flying (what the whole point of the program is for). IMHO there are a lot of reasons to really enjoy a good flight. However, the biggest part of that is either looking forward to getting to the destination or in many cases looking forward to getting home from a biz trip. But these "enjoyable" flights are usually on a foreign carrier, almost always in F or J, etc, etc.
----What is the point of flying needlessly in E / E+ from one crummy domestic destination to another or even flying R/T to a great destination but not even spending a night just to get some ridiculous status??? There are some that spend say, 200 hours a year on mileage runs, sucking up crowded planes & crummy service just so the next year you can spend 50 hours on a plane as a 1K

Sorry for the rant nut I just don't get anyone going out of their way or spending 1 extra dollar, euro, or pound to get status. Think of all the $$ spent by people doing needless flying and spending needless $$

I'd rather fly twice a year with no status as a full fare F passenger on a great airline then fly 20 times with Status on a crummy airline. But hay. I just felt like getting this off my chest
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
Since the challenge will be to spend enough money to meet your premier level will we now see dollar runs?

I predict the unit of measure will not be miles per cents but dollars per minute (DPM) since you want to just spend the money quickly.

I further predict, Bakersfield, CA, will be very popular and no one will Bakersfield will know why ...
I thought everyone was "moving out" of the country.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN A-list, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Titanium
That's exactly where they come from. Plus the fare wars that I mentioned.

Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:10 pm

How to get around the $10K?

Originally Posted by sbm12
Ummm...no.

People who want to spend the $10K will simply do it naturally. Most others who want to skip the PQDs will use a Chase co-branded CC and get around the rules.

Which credit cards are you talking about that will get around the spending floor of $10K for 1K?? I'm not going to try to spend $10K of my own money to maintain my 1K status. if there's another way to achieve it, I'd like to know what that would be!!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Quiltingatty
Which credit cards are you talking about that will get around the spending floor of $10K for 1K?? I'm not going to try to spend $10K of my own money to maintain my 1K status. if there's another way to achieve it, I'd like to know what that would be!!
You gotta spend $25K on UA-branded Chase cards, or have a certain legacy card.

But you can only get to Plat that way, not to 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.