Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best upgrade chances SFO - Europe in Early October

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a flight from SFO to AMS in early October using a GPU to upgrade. I need to leave at night, so most east coast connections are out of the picture. As of now, my options look like this:

UA SFO-FRA-AMS (744)
UA SFO-LHR-AMS (744)
LH SFO-FRA-AMS (380)
LH SFO-MUC-AMS (A340)

As of now, there is no R space available on the UA flights. So, I'm debating the following:

1. Waiting to purchase until R opens up on either the FRA or LHR flight. (probably unlikely)
2. Picking one of the UA flights that R is most likely going to open up on (I'm leaning FRA since there are double daily UA 744s and a LH A380 on that route, so lots of capacity)
3. Buying a flight on LH and hoping to score an upgrade at check-in.

Any insight on preferred strategy? How do loads on the evening UA departure to FRA/LHR normally look, and what's the LH upgrade chances on those flights? I'd prefer to stick to UA for the lifetime miles and for the flat-beds but the ultimate objective for me is to be in business and not the back of the bus.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
None of them are good or particularly likely to succeed.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
I think through ORD is your best option. Probably ZERO chance through SFO-FRA... a bit better through LHR but doubtful
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Buzzman
I think through ORD is your best option. Probably ZERO chance through SFO-FRA... a bit better through LHR but doubtful
Can't do via ORD as I need to take one of the nighttime departures and be in AMS the next day, unfortunately.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Did you consider the SK Plus option, with possibility of paid upgrade, if it did not work at least you would not be stuck in ordinary econ; and then also LX but frankly confused as to whether your GPU would be applicable there, and in my one experience from LAX their E- was torture, better to just buy E Plus on a United flight and settle for the few extra inches...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Buzzman
These flights are slammed. The waiting lists are a mile long. GS regularly miss upgrades on SFO-FRA.

I had great luck through ORD when I lived there...almost 100%. Maybe try through CDG? There's the new SFO-CDG flight...maybe less business traffic and connections.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by IADOrange

As of now, there is no R space available on the UA flights. So, I'm debating the following:

1. Waiting to purchase until R opens up on either the FRA or LHR flight. (probably unlikely)
2. Picking one of the UA flights that R is most likely going to open up on (I'm leaning FRA since there are double daily UA 744s and a LH A380 on that route, so lots of capacity)
3. Buying a flight on LH and hoping to score an upgrade at check-in.
I do SFO<->LHR and Europe all the time (every month for years!), and I'm a 1K like you.

(1) very unlikely - don't wait for this.

(2) I've had very good luck to/from/through LHR with upgrades. Buy something higher than a W fare for a good chance on the SFO-LHR legs. Sounds like you don't have day or time flexibility, but if you do, try not to fly SFO->LHR on Sunday or Monday, or return through there on a Thursday.

Good luck!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StingWest
I do SFO<->LHR and Europe all the time (every month for years!), and I'm a 1K like you.

(1) very unlikely - don't wait for this.

(2) I've had very good luck to/from/through LHR with upgrades. Buy something higher than a W fare for a good chance on the SFO-LHR legs. Sounds like you don't have day or time flexibility, but if you do, try not to fly SFO->LHR on Sunday or Monday, or return through there on a Thursday.

Good luck!
+1

People have also reported increased upgrade odds on SFO-CDG. There at least you would not be stuck in Y on a 744 if you missed the upgrade.

Another alternative would be a P fare on UA or watch for a fare sale on LX/LH. For me the extra cost is worth not having to obsess about whether the upgrade will clear.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
there has been decent R availability from IAD, ORD, and IAH to AMS lately for fall travel. i recognize this isnt ideal but few things with GPU redemptions are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.