Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked LHR - LAX but doesnt state the Terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

looked all over my booking details and it doesn't say which terminals I need for my flight, I had to go to LHR and LAX website and work out which terminals id need, but its still not 100%, why does it not say on my E-ticket which terminals?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No, UA doesn't do a good job of saying "you need to go to X terminal for your departing flight" in their e-mails. This is a big deal at, for example, LHR/EWR/BOS.

By way of comparison, BA does a fairly good job of saying "this flight leaves from LHR T3!" or "visit T5 for this one!" or "you want LGW North for this!" (even though all BA LGW flights leave from North).
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Originally Posted by jason87
looked all over my booking details and it doesn't say which terminals I need for my flight, I had to go to LHR and LAX website and work out which terminals id need, but its still not 100%, why does it not say on my E-ticket which terminals?
LHR Terminal 1 if you are on the non-stop to LAX. LAX Terminal 6 or 7 for international arrivals, unless something has changed recently.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:23 pm

For indirect flights, if you're connecting in ORD, SFO, or or IAD it's terminal 1. If you're connecting in EWR or IAH it's terminal 4.

It's particularly annoying at LHR because the terminals 4 and 5 are each very far away from terminals 1-3 and different terminals have different intercity bus connections.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
No, UA doesn't do a good job of saying "you need to go to X terminal for your departing flight" in their e-mails. This is a big deal at, for example, LHR/EWR/BOS.....
recent BOS BP
Boston Logan (BOS) departure terminal information:*
Terminal A: Flights to Cleveland, OH (CLE); Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental); and New York/Newark, NJ (EWR -Liberty)
Terminal C: Flights to Chicago, IL (ORD - OHare); Denver, CO (DEN), Los Angeles, CA (LAX); San Francisco, CA (SFO); and Washington, D.C. (IAD - Dulles)
*This applies to all flights departing to these cities, even if the city is a connection point in your trip and not your final destination....
Don't know about LHR but perhaps the BP will have additional info
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
I don't know if it is still the case, but earlier after the merger, there were instances of EWR/IAH flights coming in at Term. 1 because of redeployment of aircraft--clearly one-off circumstances. The rule of thumb noted in the previous posts is about as accurate as you'd get from UA. If someone is meeting you, his could be a major headache.

good travels,

Flyer 420
in Seattle

Sorry, read the op too rapidly, I have heard of no departures not following the Ter, 1 IAD/ORD/SFO/LAX Term 5 IAH/EWR rule.

Last edited by Flyer420; Jul 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm Reason: inattention
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flyer420
Term 5 IAH/EWR rule.

:-:
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
LHR
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../maps/lhr.aspx

LAX
For LAX your flight may arrive at Terminals 6,7,8 or you may be bused to TBIT. Either way if your connecting flight is on UA out of LAX you will need to reclear security in T 6/7/8 (they are all connected airside)
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../maps/lax.aspx
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

I don't see why UA don't give this simple but crucial info?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They do on the BP for flights leaving airports with split operations.

They also include it online at http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...lnotices.aspx?.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Also check flight status before leaving for the airport. It will tell you for sure where your gate is. Sometimes flights leave from unusual places. For example, at SFO, sometimes domestic flights get shuffled to the international terminal. It's connected behind security, so not a huge deal, but still useful to know...especially if you're coming from BART.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:34 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
LHR-IAH and LHR-EWR (pmCO routes) go from LHR T4. All others (pmUA routes) go from T1.

Roll on the day when T2 is finished next year and all UA flights go from there!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
In general this completely baffles me, particularly at non-hub airports where the information is known well in advance.

One particularly egregious example is CDG, where the roads leading to the airport do not even list airlines and most taxi drivers do not seem to know which terminal is required for United. (For the record, United uses terminal 1 at CDG, which seems to be where most star alliance carriers are.)

What's amazing is that even if you think ahead (since it won't be written on your boarding pass or flight itinerary) and try to look up the information on-line the day of departure, you still can't find this information anywhere on United's web site. As an example, checking the flight status of UA991 (which departs from CDG shortly) returns "Check-in terminal: [blank]".

This lack of information has to cause major headaches for a non-negligible number of travelers, and yet it would be so easy for United to fix. For $45/year, they should offer a service that always prints the terminal on your boarding pass. Make it $30/year for gold members, and free/automatic for credit card holders, platinum+, and GlobalFirst pax. Such a program would easily pay for itself. Think of the add campaign: "For only $45/year, get the security of always knowing where to check in for your flights. This offer will pay for itself the first time you don't miss a flight or avoid having to take a taxi between terminals. No other airline sells that kind of security!" Who would refuse such an offer? To sweeten the deal, make it apply to all boarding passes on the same PNR.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain
LHR Terminal 1 if you are on the non-stop to LAX. LAX Terminal 6 or 7 for international arrivals, unless something has changed recently.
At LAX, all UA international arrivals, except for Canadian pre-clearance and delayed arrivals that are diverted to TBIT, exit through the T-6 FIS, regardless of the arrival gate so you will always exit the same door and have to re-clear security for a connecting flight.

I think that UA is just going to wait out the terminal and gate shifts rather than have documents that state the departure terminal. LHR will be consolidated in a few years. The domestics hubs shift gates so often that the chances that the BP will have the wrong information could be rather high.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ftweb
This lack of information has to cause major headaches for a non-negligible number of travelers, and yet it would be so easy for United to fix. For $45/year, they should offer a service that always prints the terminal on your boarding pass. Make it $30/year for gold members, and free/automatic for credit card holders, platinum+, and GlobalFirst pax. Such a program would easily pay for itself. Think of the add campaign: "For only $45/year, get the security of always knowing where to check in for your flights. This offer will pay for itself the first time you don't miss a flight or avoid having to take a taxi between terminals. No other airline sells that kind of security!" Who would refuse such an offer? To sweeten the deal, make it apply to all boarding passes on the same PNR.
I'm going to assume this is a Poe. I genuinely don't know if you're being serious about this being a premium service, or if you're devilishly satirizing how greedy airlines are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.