Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines to Hold Live Webcast of Second-Quarter 2013 Financial Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines to Hold Live Webcast of Second-Quarter 2013 Financial Results

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I thought UAL was using Bain, not McKinsey.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FWAAA
True, but DL is cornering the market on available MD-90s and B717s, the two models of older planes that are almost as fuel efficient as new planes. It's not as though DL is loading up on used 763s, MD-80s and 757s.

And DL did order 100 new 739ERs.
Indeed...

However...

While they may not be acquiring any additional MD80's (after all the MD-88's are a newer version of the MD-80), they do operate quite a few 763's (74 in all) and they have fairly recently acquired 757's (originally operated by TW) so that they have 145 752's and 16 753's.

DL is, in fact, the world's largest operator of 752's and 763ER's...

It is true, though, that the incoming 739ER's are intended to replace their oldest 752's, so that this fleet will be eventually reduced.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
Well, whoever they are using, UA isn't getting much for all the money they are spending.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:12 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
That is correct. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-airlines.html
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by fastair
Thanks, fastair -

You came through like a champion, web link and all.
-
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I see DL used Bain as well, so it seems like they're not the ones to blame. Perhaps the problem is the client, rather than the consultant?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Well, that would explain much of the CS experience lately...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WxF_4SwJLa...Rises_Riot.jpg

Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Maybe, but it doesn't feel like it. As a mainly domestic traveler it seems like mainline options are dwindling.
I should make it clear that while RJ creep has impacted my flight options, I've been able to manage relatively well. Out of 44 (93k PQM) 2013 flights flown/scheduled on UNITED to date, only two segments are RJs (ERJ145 [ORD-ROC], CRJ200 [IAD-ROC]). That would be a personal best, but of course my travel patterns have changed from previous years.

Just wanted to show both sides of the coin, and be transparent.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120
Well, whoever they are using, UA isn't getting much for all the money they are spending.
Both are useless - a major global airline should be able to develop and articulate a strategy on its own without hiring outside consultants with limited industry experience.

I don't recall Gordon asking one of these companies for advise when he developed and successfully implemented 'Go Forward'.

UA doesn't need dimestore MBA consultants analyzing spreadsheets for opportunities for opportunities to surgically remove more cash from people's wallets - it needs a comprehensive culture and product strategy to restore employee and customer confidence and the investment to pursue an industry-leading product, and the ability to execute this strategy flawlessly through strong leadership that means and does what it says, with honesty and integrity.

Do we have those basic building blocks today? No.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Both are useless - a major global airline should be able to develop and articulate a strategy on its own without hiring outside consultants with limited industry experience.

I don't recall Gordon asking one of these companies for advise when he developed and successfully implemented 'Go Forward'.

UA doesn't need dimestore MBA consultants analyzing spreadsheets for opportunities for opportunities to surgically remove more cash from people's wallets - it needs a comprehensive culture and product strategy to restore employee and customer confidence and the investment to pursue an industry-leading product, and the ability to execute this strategy flawlessly through strong leadership that means and does what it says, with honesty and integrity.

Do we have those basic building blocks today? No.
Were you in the room when Gordon Bethune ran CO? If not, I suggest you avoid make absolute statements outside your area of expertise.

While I can't (and won't) defend the outrageous fees consultants collect, there is a reason every major corporation uses their services. It is impossible for multi-billion dollar corporations to maintain staff with sufficient expertise to handle major special projects (restructuring, acquisitions, etc.). Consultants offer the expertise and manpower needed.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fly18725
Consultants offer the expertise and manpower needed.
Perhaps. And perhaps it's hogwash -- or, as The New Yorker famously put it, nine-tenths schtick and one-tenth Excel.

The book "House of Lies" makes for illuminating reading.

http://www.amazon.com/House-Lies-Man...l+you+the+time

I doubt it is on the bedside tables of anyone in the upper echelons of UA, as they likely believe in the talismanic power of top-drawer consultants, as well as other silly things.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fly18725
Were you in the room when Gordon Bethune ran CO? If not, I suggest you avoid make absolute statements outside your area of expertise.

While I can't (and won't) defend the outrageous fees consultants collect, there is a reason every major corporation uses their services. It is impossible for multi-billion dollar corporations to maintain staff with sufficient expertise to handle major special projects (restructuring, acquisitions, etc.). Consultants offer the expertise and manpower needed.
Actually somewhat, yes - I had close friends who were in management at CO during its rebirth and I had an inside view, at least for awhile, into how the plan came together, got implemented and reinvigorated a dead brand, hostile employee group and disinterested customers....and the airline and aviation industries are well within my 'expertise', being a degreed professional in this area. Because of my 'inside view' I fled years of Delta loyalty and came to CO, earned my Plat status the hard way and stayed ever since.

Gordon wasn't the easiest person to deal with and some of his decisions were often at odds with this community, but you knew he was a straight-shooter and where he stood on every issue....and you knew he was 'in charge' and the buck stopped at his door. I honestly don't know who is really 'in charge' at UA and taking responsibility for the integration problems, operational deficiencies and rampant "product chiseling" that has become the source of much frustration here.

Consultants are fine for manpower augmentation, IT projects, or business strategy for small/medium businesses, but they have no place developing strategy at a major international air carrier who should have the expertise, experience and staff on hand to do just this. If UA brought in consultants to do grunt work in lieu of adding headcount, that's fine - but offloading your core business strategy and integration planning to bunch of case-study theorists is not the way to 'own' your business and demonstrate leadership, stability and control.

Right now my perception of UA as a business is a ship navigating stormy seas while the crew run around the deck like chickens without direction and the 'officers' are sitting below deck in their bunks wondering when the storm will pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.