Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA PS Service - SFO->JFK, BF 100% months early? Or Blip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire

I'm working on an award routing for September 25th.

Total desitnation is SEA -> IAD/DCA/BWI, but looking to take advantage of a UA PS route in BF from SFO or LAX. Looks like I'll have to buy a positioning flight on either end as I can't get UA to push all 3 legs into (1) 1-way award.

I had the following picked out this AM:
UA1292 SEA - SFO
UA760 SFO-JFK (PS configuration 752)

About 2 hours ago it had lots of seats open, ~6of28 sold. Now the entire Business cabin is sold out. Any idea if this is a common thing on this route? Or could it be an issues with UA doing a plane swap as they change out and upgrade the PS fleet.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VWTim
I'm working on an award routing for September 25th.

Total desitnation is SEA -> IAD/DCA/BWI, but looking to take advantage of a UA PS route in BF from SFO or LAX. Looks like I'll have to buy a positioning flight on either end as I can't get UA to push all 3 legs into (1) 1-way award.

I had the following picked out this AM:
UA1292 SEA - SFO
UA760 SFO-JFK (PS configuration 752)

About 2 hours ago it had lots of seats open, ~6of28 sold. Now the entire Business cabin is sold out. Any idea if this is a common thing on this route? Or could it be an issues with UA doing a plane swap as they change out and upgrade the PS fleet.
That flight is J9-P9 with lots of empty seats in BF. If you're searching for a Y fare, the seat map will not show available BF seats.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That flight is J9-P9 with lots of empty seats in BF. If you're searching for a Y fare, the seat map will not show available BF seats.
Not searching for a Y-fare. But I'll call it a blip. It's now showing open seats again, but no saver awards available. Going to keep trying.

The SEA-SFO, SFO-LAX, LAX-JFK is great, but it only gets in 11 minutes prior to departure of a JFK-DCA flight(maybe it was IAD).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The only SFO-JFK flight that has saver business available 9/25 is the 7am. So you'd have to go via LAX.. and there are no saver economy seats on 9/25 on any flight between JFK & IAD (IAD is your only option.. neither UA nor US fly JFK-DCA)... the route is express with no first class.

Way too much headache IMO.. save your PS experience for when you need to go to New York.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Seat maps are not indicative of actual loads.

Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The only SFO-JFK flight that has saver business available 9/25 is the 7am. So you'd have to go via LAX.. and there are no saver economy seats on 9/25 on any flight between JFK & IAD (IAD is your only option.. neither UA nor US fly JFK-DCA)... the route is express with no first class.

Way too much headache IMO.. save your PS experience for when you need to go to New York.
That's what it's starting to look like. I had found a Delta flight to get me JFK to DC for $64, but I'd need to be there earlier than the LAX flight gets me there.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by VWTim
That's what it's starting to look like. I had found a Delta flight to get me JFK to DC for $64, but I'd need to be there earlier than the LAX flight gets me there.
And at JFK Delta is in a separate terminal with no airside connection so you'd have to re-clear security even if you do manage to find a flight that gets you there earlier.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
The ps seat maps during the fleet conversion are very buggy. I've found the premium cabins to be completely "grayed out" during the purchase phase if selecting Y cabin. Do a dummy booking in J to see availability (which is not reliable indicator of actual availability).

Once you're booked the seat maps are still buggy. Today I flew JFK - LAX on an old config plane and the seat map only allowed me to select a seat in the "F" cabin. Not at all a big deal, but it was all very weird.

Having flown on these birds too many times, anyone that thinks the fleet refurb is a bad thing is living in a parallel universe. My power outlet was busted and the armrest was about to fall off the seat.

Channel 9 was on and the crew was great though. :-:
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
And at JFK Delta is in a separate terminal with no airside connection so you'd have to re-clear security even if you do manage to find a flight that gets you there earlier.
Ahh, very good to know, thanks for that.

Now looking at bagging the PS this trip and just doing SEA-ORD-IAD, quicker, and the 2nd leg is on 752 w/ lie-flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.