Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have to investigate this. I have been Gold for years with Hilton. And just for the past year and four months, Gold with Marriott due to the UA status. So, just starting to enjoy it, actually staying in a Marriott these days whereas before that I would not have considered it.
mgmsteven likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1353513636
...all we get is 2pm checkout that will probably never be available and a few extra points. I'd expect at least a carve out special status that grants at least breakfast if not an upgrade to Plat.
Breakfast is (at least for me) an appreciated benefit overseas, plus evening beer/wine/hors d'oeuvres. Looks like breakfast and lounge access will be gone for Gold Elite, so adios to Marriott for me unless Gold becomes Plat. I'm somewhat optimistic that Gold>Plat for UA flyers will be the case.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 16, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I can't see UA continuing this if they only give UA elites Marriott Gold. UA gives Marriott elites E+, free bags, extra miles, and priority boarding/baggage and all we get is 2pm checkout that will probably never be available and a few extra points. I'd expect at least a carve out special status that grants at least breakfast if not an upgrade to Plat.
Thats the thing, why would UA continue to give SPG/Marriott elites >$100 benefits with each flight, if in return all UA elites get is a $1 welcome drink as a tangible benefit.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thats the thing, why would UA continue to give SPG/Marriott elites >$100 benefits with each flight, if in return all UA elites get is a $1 welcome drink as a tangible benefit.
Yes, it could be a bit lopsided, but let's not kid ourselves that UA Silver is anything to write home about. E+ at check in doesn't necessarily yield anything, good luck getting an upgrade as a Silver, the Silver mileage bonus isn't astronomical, Priority boarding and bags are really the only guaranteed areas that UA leaves money on the table by the status match. UA Gold, Plat, and 1K members getting the gold bonus and lounge access was highway robbery.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Hoping that this program continues, this time to the "new" Platinum ... which is to say, maintain the status quo. If it devalues, then the "new gold" is really worthless, without the breakfast and lounge access.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Some good news for GS members today in the SPG/Marriott merger announcement. Current Marriott gold members will be upgraded to Platinum members in August. This means free breakfast/lounge access for GS at all SPG properties again ;-).
I don't think that's a big boon for GS. The program seems simply to be redefining Marriott Gold to be called "Platinum" in the new combined program. So I would guess it applies to all folks UA gold and above that were previously given Marriott Gold.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Will certainly keep an eye on this thread later in the year. With them dropping Delta as a partner in the new program, I'm cautiously optimistic that the partnership with United continues and that they put RewardsPlus at the new Platinum level since earning it organically it's the same # of nights per year as the current Marriott Gold. The new Gold is worse than the current SPG Gold, and that was utterly useless already.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Hoping that this program continues, this time to the "new" Platinum ... which is to say, maintain the status quo. If it devalues, then the "new gold" is really worthless, without the breakfast and lounge access.
I wouldn't put money on that. In fact, I'd bet that it will maintain at the "new Gold".

Look at where the "new program" is placing credit card holders, partners, etc. To get the "new" Platinum in the "new" program, you either have to get 50 nights or spend 25K on their credit cards. There's no way (in my opinion!) United Gold ($6K) will map to "new" Platinum. The devaluation of Marriott Gold was deliberate.

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Will certainly keep an eye on this thread later in the year. With them dropping Delta as a partner in the new program, I'm cautiously optimistic that the partnership with United continues and that they put RewardsPlus at the new Platinum level since earning it organically it's the same # of nights per year as the current Marriott Gold. The new Gold is worse than the current SPG Gold, and that was utterly useless already.
It's confirmed that Marriott and United's partnership is continuing. Whether RewardsPlus continues is another. My post above states my doubts that United Gold will map to Marriott New Platinum.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2018 at 10:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some Marriott lounges have been overrun by Golds - from SPG Golds and UA Golds and above. Now #1 is solved with the new program. I wonder if they will see how big a problem #2 is.

I hope DL stays though....
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I agree with the sentiments, if UA only gets new gold I won’t be staying at Marriotts anymore. It’s a perfectly worthless tier. I choose Marriott only because I get the free breakfast, that’s the most important benefit.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I don't think that's a big boon for GS. The program seems simply to be redefining Marriott Gold to be called "Platinum" in the new combined program. So I would guess it applies to all folks UA gold and above that were previously given Marriott Gold.
Yes, this applies to all UA Gold and above, but that includes GS and I know there was some concern about the lack of free breakfast a few months ago on this thread. Just providing an update!

What will be interesting to see is what happened in 2019. WIll all UA - Gold and above - get Marriott Gold status going forward (which becomes a useless status in August), or will GS be given the new Platinum level....

Last edited by flybyFIRE; Apr 17, 2018 at 5:07 am Reason: clarify
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
According to the web site from announcement email that went out today, https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/ , current Marriott Gold Elites will be awarded Platinum Elite in the new program. Hopefully that means that status granted through United will be at Platinum level.

Last edited by DevilDawg1960; Apr 17, 2018 at 8:01 am Reason: formatting did not work on chart
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I agree with the sentiments, if UA only gets new gold I won’t be staying at Marriotts anymore. It’s a perfectly worthless tier. I choose Marriott only because I get the free breakfast, that’s the most important benefit.
Same here. I got SPG gold from the Amex plat, which is a useless status. Marriott gold is nice, but if this program renews with the new gold, I'll just continue with my Hyatt and Hilton.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
Same here. I got SPG gold from the Amex plat, which is a useless status. Marriott gold is nice, but if this program renews with the new gold, I'll just continue with my Hyatt and Hilton.
And I'm going to go back to the Comfort Inn, just to spite them. You get free breakfast, you get free breakfast, everybody gets free breakfast!

(In seriousness, I will more often book away from Marriott if RewardsPlus ends up being the devalued gold or go away)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Some good news for GS members today in the SPG/Marriott merger announcement. Current Marriott gold members will be upgraded to Platinum members in August. This means free breakfast/lounge access for GS at all SPG properties again ;-).
You have link to this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.