Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing 5-leg multi-city, $400 more if signed in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.

I'm sure this isn't a bug not reported before.

Pricing after summer LAX-GUM-HKG-BUR/ONT/SNA gives me $1400s. Components are LAX-GUM and GUM-BUR/ONT/SNA. Somehow HKG-NRT-LAX is not available; only HKG-SFO is, and LAX costs $50 more than BUR/ONT/SNA. Whatever...as long as I have SFO PreCheck, where I return to doesn't matter.

But when I want to add GUM-SPN-GUM, united.com gives me $1900s-2000s. (Cape Air trip by itself is only $200s.) Meanwhile, ITA, Kayak and Hipmunk would give me $1500s-1600s, as soon as I hit the latter two's redirection button to united.com, it's $1900s-2000s.

Finally, I signed out of united.com, then rebuild the itinerary, and voila, $1500s-1600s. Signing in after seeing this quote, still $1500s-1600s.

Things shouldn't have to be so tricky.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 15, 2013 at 8:05 am
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
While not exactly the same, I had a similar experience today that annoyed/frustrated/angered me. I was searching for SEA-BFL flights for next month as I needed to book my parent's flights home after their cruise. Simple search online showed the cheapest price to be $381/ea for the one way. I decided to check out pricing by using multi-city search, and for the SAME flights I wanted that the general search priced at $381, were now down to $288 when booked as separate point-to-points.

Pretty misleading as a general search should've shown me this cheaper price, but instead showed higher fares. I think this has to do something with how United.com was coded to display only a certain amount of combinations (paging sbm12 as I believe he wrote a post about this a while ago.) The funny thing, too, is the cheaper price I found using multi-city was in a higher fare class (Q) than what the general search showed me at the higher price (K)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Always use hipmunk to search, then take their link to the assembled itinerary on UA.sux.

The UA.sux flight/fare search is awful, almost to the point I'd call it broken, but remember POSIWID.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I decided to check out pricing by using multi-city search, and for the SAME flights I wanted that the general search priced at $381, were now down to $288 when booked as separate point-to-points.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
There is an entire recent thread on this. Manually constructing routes can indeed give you less expensive options, but better yet, will show you routes that you otherwise wouldn't see. I used this successfully just today.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
There is an entire recent thread on this. Manually constructing routes can indeed give you less expensive options, but better yet, will show you routes that you otherwise wouldn't see. I used this successfully just today.
This isn't always enough, sometimes you have to use third party tools since even feeding it to UA.sux segment by segment fails to produce the ideal option.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
This isn't always enough, sometimes you have to use third party tools since even feeding it to UA.sux segment by segment fails to produce the ideal option.
True that, although....it has been a few months since I found a route or fare on ITA or Hipmonk that I couldn't get to work on the united site. Recently, for example, though I can't see SFO and DEN connections from SEA to the east coast searching, if I manually enter them segment by segment, the work and price out like the 3rd party sites. (This is how you fly wide body). Progress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.