FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   how strict to get gate pass? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1484658-how-strict-get-gate-pass.html)

Pedro Gonzales Jul 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 21099288)
So, does anyone have an experience being denied a gate pass? I'm wondering just how liberal they are, because I would love to accompany friends and loved ones to the gate, especially when their flight look like they might be delayed.

Yes, I was denied when I tried to help my wife and daughter through security once. The first agent said she couldn't give it to me unless my wife was sick. I'm a little superstitious about lying about sickness/death so I said she wasn't sick, but the baby was cranky and the wife had a lot of hand luggage (stroller, diaper bag, laptop bag, trolley bag). I tried again at another desk and got it without any questions. Just luck of the draw, I guess. Although, going through security without Pre is painful enough that I wouldn't voluntarily do it unless absolutely required.

dorisrpas Jul 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 21099700)
Tickets purchased within 24 hours of a flights departure time are not subject to the 24 hour refundable policy. A college of mine learned this the hard way.

That said, I have never been turned down for a gate pass to assist with family either.

All my travel is booked within 24 hours of departure. And on occasion, even then things change. I have never had had issue getting refund within 24 hours of booking, even if I cancel after I've checked in. My experience on UA and DL for domestic travel.

3card Jul 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pedro Gonzales (Post 21101223)
Yes, I was denied when I tried to help my wife and daughter through security once. The first agent said she couldn't give it to me unless my wife was sick. I'm a little superstitious about lying about sickness/death so I said she wasn't sick, but the baby was cranky and the wife had a lot of hand luggage (stroller, diaper bag, laptop bag, trolley bag). I tried again at another desk and got it without any questions. Just luck of the draw, I guess. Although, going through security without Pre is painful enough that I wouldn't voluntarily do it unless absolutely required.

I got denied once -- I'm a UC member and tried to get the UC pass to go through with my family but couldn't remember the GG code (I have it saved in my phone now). After 5 minutes trying to explain to the agent to no avail, I just asked for a gate pass to help my wife and kids, no problem! Pretty funny how different experiences can be.

Crazyboutflying Jul 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2 (Post 21096619)
You are right

No normal 16 year old, let alone 17 year old would want to be accompanied to the gate by a parent.
:rolleyes:

Actually that is ridiculous. If the person has never flown before, they may very well want to be accompanied, so comments about how normal they are or not, is really unnecessary. So you can feel free to roll your eyes as far back into your head as you like.
Certainly this would likely not apply to frequent fliers.

I do appreciate the helpful info from others though. Thanks very much!

anc-ord772 Jul 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by dahaberm (Post 21102639)
Actually that is ridiculous. If the person has never flown before, they may very well want to be accompanied, so comments about how normal they are or not, is really unnecessary. So you can feel free to roll your eyes as far back into your head as you like.

I read it more as a teenager wouldn't want to hang out/with/near their parents, cause you know, they're teenagers.

globus Jul 16, 2013 9:01 am

EWR July 13, International departure to Stuttgart, gate pass took 3 min to receive, reason the person flying does not speak any English...

Flyer420 Jul 16, 2013 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dorisrpas (Post 21101416)
All my travel is booked within 24 hours of departure. And on occasion, even then things change. I have never had had issue getting refund within 24 hours of booking, even if I cancel after I've checked in. My experience on UA and DL for domestic travel.

Ah, this settles one question that arose in my mind, ie, would a ticket be refunded if one had checked in, vs. boarded. Apparently the boarding at the gate is the major issue. Still, like others, one would not like to tie up any $$ in a bogus ticket for the sake of a gate pass.

Flyer 420
in Seattle

Cogito, ergo sum: "I think, therefore I am." Rene Descartes
Queror, ergo sum "I complain, therefore I am." C. A. Smartecarte

CDKing Jul 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223 (Post 21100791)
He was lied to. So long as the refund is request within 24hrs and before the flight departs it is refundable.

In this exercise (using a ticket to get to the gate) I would buy a refundable fare since you can still get a refund even if you forget to cancel before the flight departs.

The regulation does not apply for tickets purchased within 1 week of departure. UA may allow it but, is not required to.

Link to post on DOT's page from their "Briefing room" from last year

Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, or cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date.

mgcsinc Jul 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 21107567)
The regulation does not apply for tickets purchased within 1 week of departure. UA may allow it but, is not required to.

Link to post on DOT's page from their "Briefing room" from last year

kenn0223 made no reference to the regulation...

wilp888 Jul 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 21099288)
So, does anyone have an experience being denied a gate pass? I'm wondering just how liberal they are, because I would love to accompany friends and loved ones to the gate, especially when their flight look like they might be delayed.

I think it's always a case of YMMV. I've been denied twice at BUR while trying to accompany my elderly mother to the gate when she's in a wheelchair. No problem at LAX.

gnetwerker Jul 16, 2013 4:54 pm

In the months after 9/11, as the new security procedures were settling out, I was denied a gate pass a couple of times (for meeting arriving pax). After that, I would just photoshop a boarding pass for a plausible flight. This was before there were barcodes on the boarding passes -- I wouldn't try that now, but I have a United Club membership now, so it's not a problem anymore.

uclalum Aug 13, 2013 12:21 pm

I realize this is a moot point as the travel has already occurred, and don't send me hate mail on this one, but, at 60 years old, I would think you could call her "elderly".

Now, my parents are 70 and fortunate enough to have wonderful health, able to do all sorts of things - their own yardwork, wash cars, camp, hike, etc., and I would not be able to refer to them as elderly unless in jest, but I have seen many in the mid-50s who do not have health, need assistance walking, etc.

Xyzzy Aug 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by gnetwerker (Post 21108875)
In the months after 9/11, as the new security procedures were settling out, I was denied a gate pass a couple of times (for meeting arriving pax). After that, I would just photoshop a boarding pass for a plausible flight. This was before there were barcodes on the boarding passes -- I wouldn't try that now, but I have a United Club membership now, so it's not a problem anymore.

FWIW, the current crop of TSA barcode scanners simply decode the barcode and display passenger information. They are not tied to the airline reservation system:eek:s.

malbarda Aug 19, 2013 6:36 pm

My son is 12, and has travelled by himself since a few years. He lives in the UK, and during holidays comes and visit us in the US, flying either LBA or MAN - NYC (usually JFK). He has used Delta, KLM, American and this last time (August 15) BA return from JFK to LBA via LHR. BA has been the ONLY JFK based airline not issuing a gate ticket to date. The Duty Manager could not be convinced, and according to her, BA would have to go through a lot of administration to get permission to issue them and they were not prepared to do so.

She then just walked away from us once she had made her proclamation, indicating the conversation for her was "done".

Apparently all the other airlines have gone through the considerable lengths it takes to be able to issue these tix. FYI: my son always travels in business as an unaccompanied minor, which I pay for as a service (technically, from 12 kids are deemed "adult" and can fly solo. I ain't buying that!).

BA: no way...

nyr2299 Sep 3, 2013 9:50 am

Question on gate passes

I have the Mrs and an 18 m old kid flying into EWR this saturday and want to meet them at the gate - 2 questions:

1. Can I get a gate pass and how?
2. I know people get a fully refundable ticket - Do I buy the ticket and cancel it once I clear security? What are the issues with this, if any?

Thanks

NYR2299