FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   how strict to get gate pass? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1484658-how-strict-get-gate-pass.html)

PDX1K Jul 15, 2013 6:41 am

Just last week at PDX I was able to get a gate pass to see my wife off. The agent asked if I was a United Club member, which I am, and apparently that was all the pretex she needed.

PDX1K

Frederik123 Jul 15, 2013 7:14 am

No problems in TPA and SLC last month.
At one airport I had a meeting in the lounge; at the other one I guided a business-partner to his gate.

jb008 Jul 15, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks for the insights everyone!

I spoke with the fam and it's not essential that we accompany them, but "would be appreciated" if possible. Since we don't have a UnitedClub I can't use that reason and it's not worth tying up the $ in a refundable (<24 hr) ticket.

Thanks again all!

mgcsinc Jul 15, 2013 8:13 am

So, does anyone have an experience being denied a gate pass? I'm wondering just how liberal they are, because I would love to accompany friends and loved ones to the gate, especially when their flight look like they might be delayed.

emanon256 Jul 15, 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 21092747)
Keep in mind that every UA ticket is fully refundable within 24 hours. So you don't need to search for the right fare.

Tickets purchased within 24 hours of a flights departure time are not subject to the 24 hour refundable policy. A college of mine learned this the hard way.

That said, I have never been turned down for a gate pass to assist with family either.

plj496 Jul 15, 2013 9:35 am

I have also not been refused a gate pass to meet an elderly relative.
Make sure you bring a photo ID for both the ticket-agent and TSA.
And remember not to bring anything that won't go through security.

mgcsinc Jul 15, 2013 9:38 am

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 21099700)
Tickets purchased within 24 hours of a flights departure time are not subject to the 24 hour refundable policy. A college of mine learned this the hard way.

False. Unless the policy has changed since, the lesson your colleague actually learned was that agents make up rules.

The free cancellation rules are here: http://www.united.com/web/en-us/apps...romoCode=A5753

WineCountryUA Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 21099700)
Tickets purchased within 24 hours of a flights departure time are not subject to the 24 hour refundable policy. A college of mine learned this the hard way. .....

Did the colleague cancel a nonrefundable ticket post flight?
Was this with UA? because the min DOT rules exempt close-in purchases(the last 7 days before travel) from the 24 hour cancellation requirement, so OTAs and OAs may not allow cancellations of last minute purchases without a fee. UA does not include that exemption.

emanon256 Jul 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 21100682)
Did the colleague cancel a nonrefundable ticket post flight?
Was this with UA? because the min DOT rules exempt close-in purchases(the last 7 days before travel) from the 24 hour cancellation requirement, so OTAs and OAs may not allow cancellations of last minute purchases without a fee. UA does not include that exemption.

It was with UA on united.com. He bought it the day before the flight, and tried to cancel it the morning of the flight and was told no-dice. They told him any ticket purchased within 24 hours of departure cannot be refunded.

kenn0223 Jul 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 21100738)
It was with UA on united.com. He bought it the day before the flight, and tried to cancel it the morning of the flight and was told no-dice. They told him any ticket purchased within 24 hours of departure cannot be refunded.

He was lied to. So long as the refund is request within 24hrs and before the flight departs it is refundable.

In this exercise (using a ticket to get to the gate) I would buy a refundable fare since you can still get a refund even if you forget to cancel before the flight departs.

mgcsinc Jul 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 21100738)

Your colleague needs to learn HUCA.

emanon256 Jul 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223 (Post 21100791)
He was lied to. So long as the refund is request within 24hrs and before the flight departs it is refundable.

In this exercise (using a ticket to get to the gate) I would buy a refundable fare since you can still get a refund even if you forget to cancel before the flight departs.

That stinks for him. I'm not going to say anything at this point as I think it woudl upset him to learn this now. If it happens again, I'll suggest that it may have changed. (I report to him).

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 21100845)

Yes, he does.

jpezaris Jul 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 21100845)

HUCA?

emanon256 Jul 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by jpezaris (Post 21100910)
HUCA?

Hang Up Call Again.

#1 Rule of FlyerTalk.

jpezaris Jul 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by emanon256 (Post 21100933)
Hang Up Call Again.

#1 Rule of FlyerTalk.

(sound of open palm striking forehead)

Of course! Now, why didn't I know the acronym? Sheesh. Must be time for more coffee ...