Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considerations for long-advanced booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Considerations for long-advanced booking

I booked my wife on my UA award to take US flights to Italy in May 2014. I’m planning to book my paid trip later to be on the same flights. I figured that, even if UA and US are no longer partners by then, the ticket will still be honored, following the precedent when CO changed alliances. In the main thread here on the merger, I’m seeing some doubt about that for US awards. So is there the chance that she’ll be rebooked on other Star Alliance flights? So I should hold off booking until there’s clear word about what will happen to these tickets.

That gets added to other questions I’ve been having. I know it’s difficult to say when to book to get the best fare, but fine if anyone wants to say something. This open-jaw trip MCI-VCE, FCO-MCI has been quoted $1243-1293. I’m planning to monitor it and, if it doesn’t go down considerably, book it in January.

It will be interesting to learn if the trip will earn UA miles or not. My US account was closed for inactivity, and my AA account has a 4-digit balance that I’ve kept active with some click-throughs and iTunes purchases. I’ve been thinking of getting the US MasterCard with a fee-waived offer that’s out there, then bank this trip on US, helping me eventually get a useful balance with AA. Would it be advisable to get the card soon? Perhaps it won’t be offered for that long, and they may discontinue earning miles before a year is up?

I know that long posts can be a turnoff, but this question ties into the rest. UA only offered the award, the one option to go MCI-VCE with one change, with an 8-hour layover at PHL, which we kind of like because we’d have the chance to see friends there. US doesn’t show that option, leaving MCI at 7 a.m.; they only show a 10.45 departure, with a 4-hour layover. How can I get on my wife’s flight? I see these options, once I’ve seen that the same fare buckets are available when I search a stand-alone MCI-PHL itinerary:

A. If I call the “Need help” number on the flight selection screen, would that get that flight added to book online?

B. Start booking by phone; there’s a service fee where I see I could get it waived by first buying a $50 gift card to apply to it.

C. Complete the booking online with the later departure; then under the “fully refundable within 24 hours of purchase” rule, call to ask to change to the earlier time.

So, I’d appreciate any thoughts about whether this trip is really likely to be on US, and the rest of the questions.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: None
If you've read the thread, you know that no one knows when booking on *A will no longer be allowed or when those holding *A flights might get rebooked on US/AA or OW flights. Even US has given a window in relation to merger approval but no firm dates. Obviously the sooner your flights are scheduled the better your chances of no changes.

Jim
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

no one knows when booking on *A will no longer be allowed or when those holding *A flights might get rebooked on US/AA or OW flights.
Thanks, but that isn't what I'm asking. What you cite is about using US awards on *A partners. I'm asking about a UA award booked on US flights, and in particular whether the trip already ticketed will be honored on US.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by rove312
Thanks, but that isn't what I'm asking. What you cite is about using US awards on *A partners. I'm asking about a UA award booked on US flights, and in particular whether the trip already ticketed will be honored on US.
As your question is one for UA, I'm moving your thread over to the UA forum.

Thanks.

aztimm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rove312
Of course the ticket would be honored. US may eventually leave *A but it isn't going to be liquidated in a Chapter 7 filing. Can you point to examples where tickets were invalidated by the end of a codeshare or alliance relationship?

If US stops service to your destination it will be UA's problem. UA can look to its own flights and create award space as necessary or check for award space on other *A carriers.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. You are paying for a US ticket with UA miles. Once paid for and confirmed, the ticket is valid. Presuming that the AA acquisition of US is complete and that US has switched from *A to OW, you will still be able to use your ticket. DOT rules require that. You should understand that it may be difficult or impossible to change those tickets. Nobody here can tell you what those rules might be. Likely that AA-US hasn't gotten that far yet itself.

2. If, for whatever reason, the operating carrier (likely AA-US by that time) is no longer servicing the route, UA, as the ticketing carrier could: 1) rebook you on UA metal by forcing award space if it's not available; 2) rebook you on other *A carriers; 3) rebook you on OA; or 4) cancel and refund your ticket. While the COC allow this at UA's option, it's not a likely option given the travel options between the USA and Italy.

3. As to purchasing, this is simply not worth discussing. Prices vary for all kinds of reasons. Here, there is an intervening acquisition. Demand, fuel prices, capacity and so forth, will all be factors. My general view is that if you wait to save $300 and the fare goes up by $600, can you still afford the ticket? If you wait and gamble and lose, are you merely disappointed or unable to travel?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You will only have difficulties with your award flights if they are cancelled or rescheduled. The former is unlikely, the latter is quite likely.

If they are cancelled, then it doesn't matter if you have booked revenue tickets as well: the same options will present themselves - either the new AA can get you there a different way, in which case they will re-route both tickets or they can't in which case they'll refund both. The same logic applies for re-scheduling.

So the real question is when you should buy. And the answer to that is: How long is a piece of string?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.