Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CEO at Aspen Ideas Festival July 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM

United's CEO Jeff Smisek will appear at the prestigious Aspen Ideas Festival July 1st. The topic is "What is the future of air travel" and the moderator is Andrew Ross Sorkin. I'm certain it will be very interesting and perhaps add perspective to how he wants to continue to reshape his airline in the years ahead. Unable to attend, but perhaps it will get coverage by the local papers.

Last edited by dkc715; Jul 1, 2013 at 6:26 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Is the Aspen Ideas Fest like a TED talk where a bunch of management trainers, peppered in with a few engineers and comedians give a talks about how we just need to unlock hard coded genetic responses to end poverty?

Because if it is, I'd expect that Smisek will give a twisted speech in which he tells us the horrible changes are actually what we wanted all along and that everything he is doing is right in sync with human evolution (as dictated by the market).
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Is the Aspen Ideas Fest like a TED talk where a bunch of management trainers, peppered in with a few engineers and comedians give a talks about how we just need to unlock hard coded genetic responses to end poverty?

Because if it is, I'd expect that Smisek will give a twisted speech in which he tells us the horrible changes are actually what we wanted all along and that everything he is doing is right in sync with human evolution (as dictated by the market).
You have the wrong idea. It is actually quite informative with a very impressive collection of diverse speakers and topics...

http://www.aspenideas.org/speakers/grid?festival=2013
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715
You have the wrong idea. It is actually quite informative with a very impressive collection of diverse speakers and topics...

http://www.aspenideas.org/speakers/grid?festival=2013
Seeing as how a UA board member runs the Aspen Institute, not a hard invite for a CEO to score.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:47 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by flythewing
Seeing as how a UA board member runs the Aspen Institute, not a hard invite for a CEO to score.
+1

But, I hope they are not going to take UA seriously about the future of travel.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
LOL. I find most TED talks to be very inspirational without practical effect.

It will be interesting to see what Mr. Smisek has to say though. In regards to the future of air travel, I really would like to see supersonic flights return. HNL-CDG in 6 hours, woohoo.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
UA's contribution to world economic growth

I think Mr. Smisek is going to announce a new world wide initiative to help farmers in poor and developing nations to learn to grow half-cashews, which will be exclusively for use by UA to meet the 'demand' from its elite customers.

Flyer 420
just off 876 from NRT (yawn)
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
He will tell them how to alienate their best, long time loyal customers. He is an expert at that.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
This talk on Tuesday sounds more interesting than anything Smisek would have to say.

"Space Travel: Are You Virgin Galactic’s Next Passenger?"

... and it's being webcast.

http://www.aspenideas.org/live-now
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Reuters quoted Smisek as saying basic travel experience won't be very different in 20 years. And the moderator's UAL flight was cancelled during the talk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.