Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A319 ORD to JAC (in F. What can I expect on this aircraft re a flight experience?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A319 ORD to JAC (in F. What can I expect on this aircraft re a flight experience?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP

Hi, all. I'll be on a UA A319 for ORD to JAC this mid-August. I'll be in 2A. It's about 3 hrs. 15 min. scheduled. What can I expect on this aircraft re a flight experience? ( I did this run last year on a 757, which I highly enjoyed. I've never been on the A319, though I did go US from CLT to BWI and back last year on an A320 in coach.) Thanks in advance.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 29, 2013 at 10:22 am Reason: v a g u e thread title
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The service will be the same as on a 757. The seats will be similar. The A319 is a more modern plane with a very slightly wider cabin. The two really noticeable differences are that you will enter at the front and watch all the "masses" file past you; and the First cabin has only two rows so is very intimate.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The service will be the same as on a 757. The seats will be similar. The A319 is a more modern plane with a very slightly wider cabin. The two really noticeable differences are that you will enter at the front and watch all the "masses" file past you; and the First cabin has only two rows so is very intimate.
Service should also be better since there is one F FA for 8 passengers versus 2 FAs for 24 passengers on the pmUA 757-200s. There is also one exclusive lavatory for the 8 F passengers versus one for 24 on the pm UA 757-200s. The downside is that UA caters a lot less on the A319s due to the significantly smaller F cabin so if you are craving an extra cookie for instance, you have less chances of being able to get it.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can expect a 50% chance of sitting the first row.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'd switch to 1A. You won't have anyone reclining into you and there's a cutout on that side for increased legroom vs. 1EF.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Appreciate your insights.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scosprey
Thanks all. Appreciate your insights.
The downside to the A319 is that it may have had all the inflight video/audio entertainment taken out so you wouldn't have any free movies/tv shows or the possibility of channel 9 if that's important to you (although you would have wifi but you'd need to bring your own device)....I prefer the 757.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
If you are partial to windows, I'd sit on the "F" side - typically you land to the south coming into JAC and the view of the Tetons off to the right is awesome
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The downside to the A319 is that it may have had all the inflight video/audio entertainment taken out so you wouldn't have any free movies/tv shows or the possibility of channel 9 if that's important to you (although you would have wifi but you'd need to bring your own device)....I prefer the 757.
When did UA do this????
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
They're using an A319 today, midday, with video and audio, including channel 9. So, ?, your comment.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
There are a couple of versions of 757 with different FC seating. The typical domestic is a standard seat with some recline. However, if your previous experience was on the international version with lie-flat seats, then you will have a different experience. The A319 seats are just normal seats.

For me, for a short flight I don't care about the seats. I prefer (slightly) the A319 for:

1) Faster boarding since the plane is smaller.

2) Somewhat more personal feel in FC since there are only 8 seats.

3) Entertaining strange squeaks and groans from the Airbus hyrdraulic system after takeoff.

That said, I consider the two planes to be roughly equivalent in FC (assuming no lie-flat seats). Economy is a different story - the Airbus wins there.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
This is a weird question re 'flight experience'?

After all, its a domestic United flight in F - you can expect a standard bigger seat in a small cabin, some horrible wine, and a hot meal.

How would 'flight experience' differ than any other UA domestic flight?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
They're using an A319 today, midday, with video and audio, including channel 9. So, ?, your comment.
Yes, that is the A319 they are using TODAY....the OP is flying in mid-August. We know from the A319/A320 wifi thread that they are in the process of pulling all the video/audio out of the Airbus planes and adding wifi...the # of Airbus planes that are "refurbished" is only going to increase with time as they progress toward 100% completion so I was making sure the OP knew there was a possibility of being on one of these "dark" planes (some have already begun to re-enter service).
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is a weird question re 'flight experience'?

After all, its a domestic United flight in F - you can expect a standard bigger seat in a small cabin, some horrible wine, and a hot meal.

How would 'flight experience' differ than any other UA domestic flight?
I've flown ORD--JAC three times out and back--all on the B757-200 domestic. The flight experiences were all great. By that I mean, the power on these 75s, and the climb capability seemed fantastic. I specifically remember rocketing out of JAC midday last January on a clear day, and seeing the airport, town, valley, and nearby mountain ranges seem to rapidly disappear behind us. Then we made a roaring beeline to ORD; it seemed like riding a racehorse over back to ORD, till about 70 miles out, for descent and sequencing. Somehow, I'm not expecting this type performance from a summer, fully loaded A319, but I'm open to being proven wrong!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I've flown ORD--JAC three times out and back--all on the B757-200 domestic. The flight experiences were all great. By that I mean, the power on these 75s, and the climb capability seemed fantastic. I specifically remember rocketing out of JAC midday last January on a clear day, and seeing the airport, town, valley, and nearby mountain ranges seem to rapidly disappear behind us. Then we made a roaring beeline to ORD; it seemed like riding a racehorse over back to ORD, till about 70 miles out, for descent and sequencing. Somehow, I'm not expecting this type performance from a summer, fully loaded A319, but I'm open to being proven wrong!
The 757 will never be matched. I have flown on that route several times always on a 757. Via Denver I've done the 319. The 319 is more powerfull than the 320 and can lift up pretty fast also. Nothing like the 757, but not too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.