Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces order for Airbus A350-1000 aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United announces order for Airbus A350-1000 aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:37 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by relangford
It is most unfortunate that an American airline is channeling even more dollars overseas (the A350 is not one that Airbus will ever produce in the U.S. - not even most parts). But, it makes economic sense for UA (and AA) to let German and French taxpayers support EADS so they can sell their product for less.
Trade works both way..Europes Most Profitable and fastest growing airline RyanAir buys ALL Boeings.

Perhaps if Ryanair had bought to Airbus they might have had more success with EU Competition Body and allowed RyanAir to buy Aer Lingus. So you can appreciate its not all one-sided Politics.

Its also a shame that United have virtually abandoned Boeing as Boeing was one of the Original Founders of United Airlines, and as for the 747-800 they are now being shipped to the Arizona Desert instead of to Airlines. A Sad Story
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Jorgen
They did, but they made that decision quite some time ago. I'll bet if they had the decision to make all over again they'd go with 3-4-3.
That's in business class right !!!!!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Trade works both way..Europes Most Profitable and fastest growing airline RyanAir buys ALL Boeings.

Perhaps if Ryanair had bought to Airbus they might have had more success with EU Competition Body and allowed RyanAir to buy Aer Lingus. So you can appreciate its not all one-sided Politics.

Its also a shame that United have virtually abandoned Boeing as Boeing was one of the Original Founders of United Airlines, and as for the 747-800 they are now being shipped to the Arizona Desert instead of to Airlines. A Sad Story
The new UA is mostly Boeing, with the exception of the Airbii. Which UA was forced to buy due to Boeing not offering a competetive aircraft. UA did not abandon Boeing, Boeing decided to stop offering a competetive aircraft.

The 350 once again hits a market that UA will not compete until the 2020's. UA is buying what they need!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:28 am

The A350 isn't as wide as the 777. If UA goes for 10 abreast in Y then they have lost their darn minds (again).
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
While Boeing was forward-looking with the all-composite B787, they have been falling behind the Europeans in many areas. As a lover of the B747 and a fan of Boeing, I am disappointed with the folks at Boeing. I am happy that KE is buying five B747-8i units, though. I'll be flying more KE when they arrive.
This being the UA forum... LH has some 747-8i's in service already, have you gotten to try them yet? I've done FRA-LAX on a couple of them (D-ABYA and D-ABYC) this year. Although they lacked the satellite-based WiFi stuff (supposed to be getting installed this year, I think?) they were otherwise nice.

Sad, sure, and quad-jets are a hard sell over twin-jets in general right now. But the planes in the desert aren't 747-8i's (or the non-existent 747-800), they're 747-8F freighters. Anyway, United's spokesperson made it clear that they're only parked because they finished building them before customers were ready to take delivery and put them into service.

Last edited by DanTravels; Jun 21, 2013 at 5:39 am
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:17 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It is most unfortunate that an American airline is channeling even more dollars overseas (the A350 is not one that Airbus will ever produce in the U.S. - not even most parts). But, it makes economic sense for UA (and AA) to let German and French taxpayers support EADS so they can sell their product for less. While Boeing was forward-looking with the all-composite B787, they have been falling behind the Europeans in many areas. As a lover of the B747 and a fan of Boeing, I am disappointed with the folks at Boeing. I am happy that KE is buying five B747-8i units, though. I'll be flying more KE when they arrive.
Don't deceive yourself that Boeing and it's worldwide network of tiered suppliers is any more American than Airbus is purely European. Or that United spending more on Boeing planes would "keep dollars in the US". Boeing was just as much outsource to the fullest extent it could, just as United would. If you dislike it, ask everyone in the airplane manufacturing supply chain to lower their costs.

And your last sentence contradicts the whole idea of your first. Why are you flying a foreign airline if you believe patronizing other countries products/services takes money away from the US?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TA

And your last sentence contradicts the whole idea of your first. Why are you flying a foreign airline if you believe patronizing other countries products/services takes money away from the US?
Darned good point. But that's Americans for you. And why Wal-Mart exists despite the awful things they do to the economy. They cost that person less money. That's all many care about.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Yep.

What???

Did you miss the additional 10 787 United ordered this week?

How about the 150 new 737 United ordered last summer?

In no way, shape or form has United "abandoned" Boeing....
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
this is kind of comical. united has a ton of boeing airplanes on order. they certainly have NOT abandoned boeing.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravels
... Anyway, United's spokesperson made it clear that they're only parked because they finished building them before customers were ready to take delivery and put them into service.
?? Why is United making statements about the 748i's being parked in the desert?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:15 pm

This isn't surprising at all. Nominally, It reflects a combination of UA's affair with Airbus and let another of Jeff's rejection of the various good things that Gordon Bethune did at CO. More to the point, it reflects Jeff's idea of what is most important -- $$. Loyalty to means nothing, not even to loyalty to Boeing.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I for one am really surprised. Given the projections for traffic out of major us mega-cities (NYC, SFO, LAX, ORD) and foreign cities (NRT, HKG, PEK, LHR, FRA) along with slot control at many airports, and generally increasing traffic world wide, I would have expected UA to buy a larger aircraft.
UA has tons of hubs. Single/dual hub carriers will buy the VLAs, not UA.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The new UA is mostly Boeing, with the exception of the Airbii.
Um
I think that if we added it all up (as in % manufacturer of daily operations), the new UA is mostly Embraer with Canadair a close second, then Boeing and then Airbus and some Bombardier and Saab on the tail.

I see any news for wide body planes as good news. And I hope that they do some more domestic flights with them outside of hub to hub.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
This isn't surprising at all. Nominally, It reflects a combination of UA's affair with Airbus and let another of Jeff's rejection of the various good things that Gordon Bethune did at CO. More to the point, it reflects Jeff's idea of what is most important -- $$. Loyalty to means nothing, not even to loyalty to Boeing.
This is getting ridiculous.

United has 59 Boeing 787s on order, +6 delivered; it has more than 100 Boeing 737s on order. Compared to 35 Airbus 350s.

Loyalty is a terrible way to make major capital expenditure decisions. The A350s represent a better cost/mission fit, oh and helps UA avoid paying cancellation penalties from a prior A320 order they cancelled. How dare the CEO make an investment decision that's in the best financial interests of the company.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Um
I think that if we added it all up (as in % manufacturer of daily operations), the new UA is mostly Embraer with Canadair a close second, then Boeing and then Airbus and some Bombardier and Saab on the tail.

I see any news for wide body planes as good news. And I hope that they do some more domestic flights with them outside of hub to hub.
since what you mentioned is all express...united isn't "mostly" those at all.

and more domestic routes outside of hub to hub? with the exception of hawaii...what did you have in mind?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.