Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces order for Airbus A350-1000 aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United announces order for Airbus A350-1000 aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I for one am really surprised. Given the projections for traffic out of major us mega-cities (NYC, SFO, LAX, ORD) and foreign cities (NRT, HKG, PEK, LHR, FRA) along with slot control at many airports, and generally increasing traffic world wide, I would have expected UA to buy a larger aircraft.

Using the seating arrangements published for 3 class AC (in actuality, airlines end up with slightly less actual seats) the Boeing current line up is:

787-8 240 7000-8200 nm
787-9 280 8-8500 nm
787-10 330 7000 nm

777-9x 407 (7 foot stretch on current 777-300ER)
777-300ER 386 7930nm

350-8 270 8480nm
350-9/ 350-9R 314 8100/10,300nm
350-10 350 8420 nm

If you assume that UA wants a larger aircraft, and they clearly do, and clearly need one their options were going with the 350-10 (as the 787-10 does not have the range for many Transpacific and west coast TATL missions they need it for) or waiting and hopping Boeing could get the 777-9x off the ground in a timely manner.

Absent, simply not trusting Boeing to get the job done, I would have assumed they would have waited for the 777-9x as it better meets there needs.

I think this is IMHO a very interesting vote of non-confidence in Boeing given UAs major need for a larger AC and the fact the 777-9x would appear to better meet UAs future needs.
You missed the 777-8x, with has same capacity as the 777-300, but with a 9300 nm range. Boeing will build the 777-8x after the -9x however, and I suppose that is too late for UA's 747-400 replacement needs.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
And presumably use the 2-4-2 BF format as well.
Nope, doubt you're seeing any new PMUA seats anytime soon (though I like everyone will not miss that configuration)
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
I realize this is a personal wish, but I wish that United would stick with Boeing on the wide-bodies and Airbus on the single isle. I like the wider body on the 320s and I think boeing's rehash of the 737 is stupid.
Say what you want about Boeing (and the 777 is fine in 9 across) but I would prefer an airbus, both narrow or wide body any day.
+1, at least 319/320/321 vs. any 737.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by spin88
Absent, simply not trusting Boeing to get the job done, I would have assumed they would have waited for the 777-9x as it better meets there needs.

I think this is IMHO a very interesting vote of non-confidence in Boeing given UAs major need for a larger AC and the fact the 777-9x would appear to better meet UAs future needs.
I absolutely agree. But the 777-9x is (frm what I know) not going to be available nearly as soon. With the delays that seem to plague some of these aircraft programs, going with something that is close derivative that is at least undergoing flight tests must have been quite attractive.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:31 pm
kuj

Programs: UA1MM
Someone quoted this before, from the ABI website:
The A350 also allows for high-comfort economy seating in a nine-abreast arrangement, with a generous 18-inch seat width.
Interestingly, the same website also has this:
The seating flexibility offered in economy class begins with a baseline nine-abreast configuration. Premium economy is created in an eight-abreast arrangement, while 10-abreast seating is available for high-density layouts – which are accommodated without the need for cabin modifications or floor reinforcement.
Given who's running the show at UA, my bet is on 10.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by kuj

Given who's running the show at UA, my bet is on 10.
One thing of note, UA had the chance when they converted the 777's to go with 3/4/3 as a number of other airlines have but they kept the 9 seat layout

They MIGHT just go with the 3/3/3 layout to reduce seat costs as much as anything else as they could standardise on the same seats with both the A320/19 and the 350.....

Otherwise....

I still think they will just flog the orders off to other cariers and will buy 777's as the fleet cost savings should easily outweigh the initial cost savings
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nope, doubt you're seeing any new PMUA seats anytime soon (though I like everyone will not miss that configuration)
I'm with you, the 2-4-2 config will not be missed.

Please UA, C cabin should have direct aisle access!!! 1x2x1!!! (Or even 1x2x1/2x2x1 a la LX).
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mbarreto

Please UA, C cabin should have direct aisle access!!! 1x2x1!!! (Or even 1x2x1/2x2x1 a la LX).
I would prefer more C seats over direct aisle access. As someone who uses GPU's I need as many chances as possible. If I have to step over someone, so be it, it is better than Y.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:01 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mbarreto

Please think about the math/economics. How could UA stand to reduce its cabin capacity by that much? If we are to believe everyone over on the other thread who say they'll defect, UA will need to pack as many people as they can into paying C, at the density they have now.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TA
Please think about the math/economics. How could UA stand to reduce its cabin capacity by that much? If we are to believe everyone over on the other thread who say they'll defect, UA will need to pack as many people as they can into paying C, at the density they have now.
Frget about people threatening to 'defect.' UA will pack as many in as they reasonably can. They would be foolish not to do so.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Frget about people threatening to 'defect.' UA will pack as many in as they reasonably can. They would be foolish not to do so.
And many of them will be the same people that are threatening to defect right now!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by star_world
Good news ^

Plenty of people here will be very surprised by this order, given CO's longstanding relationship with Boeing and the assumption that the former CO management calls all the shots at United. This is one of the biggest post-merger investment decisions the management team has made, and it's for an Airbus product. Maybe the inherent bias towards the "CO" way of doing things just isn't as strong as some people would like to think it is.
There is so much more that goes into these orders than CO's long-lasting relationship with Boeing. It's a new regime in town and it's ALL about $$ and what discounts, allowances, etc. COdbaUA is getting. It has NOTHING to do with friendships, but all business and bottom line. Simply, Airbus gave them a better deal.

Don't be fooled for one second - UA is going by the best deal and are pushing back on the manufacturers and, in turn, Airbus and Boeing are pushing back on their contractors. There's no love lost here.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TA
I agree, they should and will pack as many people as they can. But that doesn't mean that they'll cram as many seats as possible.

It's a premium cabin, so people must be willing to pay a premium for it. Consider this: would you pay the same to sit in a middle seat of a 2x4x2 UA C cabin, as you would to pay in a LX 1x2x1? Ignoring all other variables and just looking at seat comfort, if you're willing to pay more to fly on LX, then the equation becomes: How many seats can you sell? At what premium can you sell the seats? I have zero evidence, but I'd be willing to say airlines such as LX and others generate more $$ from their C cabins than UA does (again, don't ask me for evidence, it's a hunch).

Now, if we're talking about upgrades, then I agree: the easier to snag a free/cheap upgrade, the better! But a premium cabin can't survive on upgrades only, someone has to be willing to pay for it.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
It is most unfortunate that an American airline is channeling even more dollars overseas (the A350 is not one that Airbus will ever produce in the U.S. - not even most parts). But, it makes economic sense for UA (and AA) to let German and French taxpayers support EADS so they can sell their product for less. While Boeing was forward-looking with the all-composite B787, they have been falling behind the Europeans in many areas. As a lover of the B747 and a fan of Boeing, I am disappointed with the folks at Boeing. I am happy that KE is buying five B747-8i units, though. I'll be flying more KE when they arrive.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
One thing of note, UA had the chance when they converted the 777's to go with 3/4/3 as a number of other airlines have but they kept the 9 seat layout
They did, but they made that decision quite some time ago. I'll bet if they had the decision to make all over again they'd go with 3-4-3.

Looking at the widths according to wikipedia, though, the cabin of the A350 (221") is a full ten inches narrower than the 777 (231"), so ten abreast would be tricky. Nine abreast doesn't exactly sound luxurious either, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.