Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
There is a thread that describes the seats, but as a couple the two you have chosen are good IMO.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Adjacent to the restroom is not a good recipe for quiet. People will congregate near your seats.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
No 8A/B are not good seat to stay in the dark and for sleep. They are to close to galley and restroom.

Pick any of the pair seats in row 9. My preference is 9A/B based on OP’s criteria. These two seats tilted toward the wall. Row 10 gets noise and lights from the economy section and also first row of economy seats are designated bassinet seats for babies.

Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Actually I prefer 8A/8B for the footwell as it is larger. I move when I sleep so when my feet hit the footwell it wakes me. Although the galley may be noisy I find the front galley noisier. There is not that much congregating around the toilets except when it is close to landing IMO. I personally would choose row 8 over row 9.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: united
I read that 8 D/E are a good combo. Anyone care to comment if they’re relatively quiet and stay pretty dark given their proximity to the galley and lav?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:09 am

Question Traveling with a friend. How to sit in UA 777?

Hi there!
I will be flying long-haul from IAH to AMS on UA 777 (772, Two Class Intl). Unfortunately we only fly Economy. Now we are arguing how to sit on that plane. My guess was to book to aisle seats next to each other. I am a rather big guy. Would you do the same? Or would you chose seats differently?

Same question for a LH flight on a 747...

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Rusone
Hi there!
I will be flying long-haul from IAH to AMS on UA 777 (772, Two Class Intl). Unfortunately we only fly Economy. Now we are arguing how to sit on that plane. My guess was to book to aisle seats next to each other. I am a rather big guy. Would you do the same? Or would you chose seats differently?

Same question for a LH flight on a 747...

Thanks in advance!!
Aisle seats next to each other is a good idea, it's what I would do in your situation.
Rusone likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Guess it just depends how close you want to be with your friend. If it's just a friend neither of us would care if we were together or not - we just pick whatever seat each of us wants. If it's a work friend where we might want to look at documents or have some brief discussions about work while enroute, we'd want to be right next to one another, not just across the aisle. Whatever floats your boat!
Rusone likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Guess it just depends how close you want to be with your friend. If it's just a friend neither of us would care if we were together or not - we just pick whatever seat each of us wants. If it's a work friend where we might want to look at documents or have some brief discussions about work while enroute, we'd want to be right next to one another, not just across the aisle. Whatever floats your boat!
Not work friends, we definetely don't need to any work.
Thanks, I think we might stick to the plan.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Weird seat map 777-200 - No 1A or 1B

Hi - checking in I encountered a weird seat map without seat 1A or 1B. I recently saw something similar when choosing a seat on a reservation.

Curious to see what the actual plane looks like. Are hey simply blocked or broken or what’s going on?

Seat map
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There's a lav there. This is the normal sCO 772 seatmap.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

Hi there - I'm booking a flight from IAH to LHR on a 777-200. The seat map on the UA site matches what's in this thread EXCEPT on the UA site i don't see any lavatories at the rear of the aircraft (behind Row 44 AB/KL). Any chance someone who's flown on this plane knows which is correct? Ideally if there are no lavatories back there then I want to grab a set of doubles in Row 44. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
There is a bathroom in the back
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Im flying the first time on this bird long haul in Y. I took 16L based on seat guru. Is that a good choice?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mike2003242
Im flying the first time on this bird long haul in Y. I took 16L based on seat guru. Is that a good choice?
It is a bulkhead window with some extra leg space but narrower seat due to tray table and AVOD in the armrest

Search the thread for "16L" and there are numerous posts including this one with pics
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 15, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.