Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:46 am

Thanks, chgoeditor, for your reply. It's a United Boeing 777-200.
@UpgradeMe, brand new to the site, will try to be more accurate with my choice of forum in future.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The seats are in self-contained pods and all have the same amount of space, except that bulkheads have a larger footwell.

I would suggest 8D or 8E for easy aisle access.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
8E is my favorite seat on this plane for several reasons which may apply to your situation. Just like other row 1 and 8 seats (and 2AB), this seat has a much larger footwell, which will allow you (particularly if you're tall) to adjust your sleeping position easier. Plus, I use the area near the galley and lav in front of you to stretch on very long flights. That lavatory in front of you on the right side, by the way, is extra large, which will give you room to stretch privately if you prefer.

Unrelated to your issue but still useful: You'll almost certainly get your first choice of meal and be served one of the first, which can give you more time to work/sleep.

When the FA greets you right after boarding, ask for all the Polaris amenities (pajamas, etc.) that could make you more comfortable (if an ultra long-haul flight).
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
There's a thread about where to sit on the pmCO 777, with plenty of great anecdotes there. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread rolled into it.

Last edited by fezzington; Mar 9, 2018 at 4:43 am Reason: Autocorrect hates me
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, 4 is no problem at all, but 8DE are many people's favorite seats.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
You'd be fine with either re lavs, but row 8 has bigger footwells if that matters to you.
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Currently my wife and I have 4D and 4E for a tatl flight. However I'm wondering if row 4 is too close to the lavs. Row 8 is open so would we be better off moving? My first time ever on a UA 777 of any sort!
Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, 4 is no problem at all, but 8DE are many people's favorite seats.
Problem is that Row 8 suffers from the light of the second galley - where there is no curtain - so the window seats are some people's best bets...

Prefer 8E myself though - but the light is kind of irritating - Row 1E is better in this regard.

Row 4 would be darker and quieter...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
The seats are in self-contained pods and all have the same amount of space, except that bulkheads have a larger footwell.

I would suggest 8D or 8E for easy aisle access.
Another vote for 8D or 8E. You have direct access to the aisle and no one will try to climb past you either. You also have a bigger footwell (from the bulkhead) and during quiet times of the flight you are right next to the galley which will probably have a little room to stand and stretch by the exit door.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by findark
You have direct access to the aisle and no one will try to climb past you either.
It is my preferred seat also, 8E. The only issue is that sometimes during boarding, there's the occasional pax that uses the space of those two seats 8D/8E to cross over to the other isle.
I tend to put my legs up on the ottoman, but that doesn't necessarily stop some from trying. FA usually very good in directing pax to cross in galley.
Minor issue only, but probably worth a mention.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:26 pm

Thanks, Narvik and SuperFlyBoy. This is an incredibly valuable forum. Really appreciate your taking the time to respond.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:26 am

2A/B or 3A/3B?

Hi, any preference between row 2 vs 3? I'm traveling with my mom who has to use the restroom fairly frequently, so we wanted to be near a lavatory. We are currently in 3A/B, as I was concerned about lights and smells from the restroom. Both of us are short (5'3 and 5'5), are the smaller footwells moee an issue for taller people or will it affect us too? 2A/B us currently open as well right now.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork
Hi, any preference between row 2 vs 3? I'm traveling with my mom who has to use the restroom fairly frequently, so we wanted to be near a lavatory. We are currently in 3A/B, as I was concerned about lights and smells from the restroom. Both of us are short (5'3 and 5'5), are the smaller footwells moee an issue for taller people or will it affect us too? 2A/B us currently open as well right now.
Similar situation ... any thouughts on 2A and proximity to the loo?
Old May 31, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
United already cancelled our November ORD-HKG flight and rerouted us on EWR-HKG which means we landed on this plane from the three class 772 that we know very well. I read the whole thread and chose 8D and 8E. The whole Polaris Business is still open and I wonder if 1K and 1L would be better. The negative for those is aisle access for the one of us sitting at the window. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Spent 14 hours in 8L flying EWR-PVG, and it was fine--didn't notice the commotion from the galley at all, and being that close to the larger lav made it easy to change in and out of the Polaris pajamas. To clarify the missing-window situation: The one absent from 8L and 8A is the window next to the screen, not the one next to your head. You still have excellent views, while the screen-glare problem basically goes away.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I read the whole thread and chose 8D and 8E. .... Any thoughts?
You have the BEST seat-combination on this plane, IMO. Nice and close (not TOO close) to the large lav. Large foot wells. First to be served meals/drinks, etc.
Definitely a good choice.

[The only tiny downside picking the second cabin and these seats is that all economy pax will board past you. The area in front of the seats in this bulkhead row is so large that some passenger try and use it as a cross-over point to reach the other isle. UA FAs are normally good in re-directing the "offending" pax, or alternatively you can either: 1) put your feet on the ottoman, or 2) let them through.]
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: united
What seats would you choose?

If you wanted it dark and quiet so you could have the best chance of getting some sleep on a TATL, what seats would you choose among these options?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.