Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Short answer there is very little difference outside on bulkheads or exit rows. Back toward the middle of the plane there is more blocking of the window view.

Economy is 3x3x3 shout there is no 2 seat arrangement for couple. People have different strategies for 3x3x3 -- some do window aisle and hope the middle stays empty, some do aisle aisle .
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...dow-aisle.html
Yeah, I was the one that started that thread

Currently have 16A and 16B selected, wondering if I should go for A and C instead. (Actually what I am really hoping for is R space to open up)
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Currently have 16A and 16B selected, wondering if I should go for A and C instead.
With 16A and 16B selected, 16C almost definitely will have someone in it. If you select 16A and 16C, 16B might have someone in it, at which point you can ask to switch. Who wouldn't want to switch from out of a B seat?

That's what the above mentioned "window-aisle" thread talks about. Since you started that thread, you will know this!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Wife and I flying IAD-NRT on one of these in a few months in E+ (13.5 hours, ouch). Any thoughts on the best E+ seats for a couple?

Thanks, Andrew
A bit curious on this one . . . typically IAD-NRT is flown by one of the pmUA 777s, which had a different configuration and no row 16 . . .
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by drewguy
A bit curious on this one . . . typically IAD-NRT is flown by one of the pmUA 777s, which had a different configuration and no row 16 . . .
Sorry, I meant IAH-NRT
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Is there any different in footwell size between D and E seats? I flew in 3D before and it seemed like the other side had better/more attentive service, presumably because the galley is on the right side. 3E is open on my next flight, so I'm wondering if I should switch-- do not want a smaller footwell though.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Is there any different in footwell size between D and E seats?
Bulkhead D has larger footwell than E. Bulkhead E has larger footwell than non-bulkead seats.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by narvik
Bulkhead D has larger footwell than E. Bulkhead E has larger footwell than non-bulkead seats.
Thanks.. I mean specifically non-bulkheads -- thought I read somewhere that B, D and K seats have larger footwells than A, E and L due to the angles. Is this true?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Thanks.. I mean specifically non-bulkheads -- thought I read somewhere that B, D and K seats have larger footwells than A, E and L due to the angles. Is this true?
That sounds right. In general, my recollection of the sCO seats on various planes that have them is that aisle seats angling away from the aisle will have more legroom.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:19 pm

1E or 8D/E for IAH-NRT?

I'm tall and a side sleeper so the larger footwell is a must. Also prefer aisle and don't want to be woken up by someone in the window seat who needs to get out. So seems these are the only options (and 1D which is next to the lav)

Seems like one of the knocks against 1E is it's also close to the lav, but looking at the seat map, both 8D and E are near the crappers too. So which would you take? All are available right now.

Also, are there some good photos/reviews of the business cabin on this aircraft? A lot of the photos I can find are of the 2x4x2 configuration. First time in business, curious to see what I have to look forward to.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
8D/E are not very close to lavs, and are my go-to seats
Old May 17, 2017, 4:54 pm

I am flying EWR-PVG every year. Recently within 2 weeks, I have seen the plane been swapped twice to pmUA 3 class 777, (if you count PVG-EWR, it will be 4 times). I was paying attention, coz my friend is booking in J. The J seats in pmCO 777 is certainly better than pmUA 777. Does anyone know if there are any operation difficulty lately in EWR? I don't see EWR-PVG swap very often.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Can't Find "Where to Sit 777-200 Polaris 2-class"

I've searched but can't find a "where to sit in J" thread on the 777-200 3-cabin 2-class airplane. Can anyone guide me to such a thread or otherwise advise? I'm a compact male (5'7", 140 lbs) and I prefer window seats.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I've searched but can't find a "where to sit in J" thread on the 777-200 3-cabin 2-class airplane. Can anyone guide me to such a thread or otherwise advise? I'm a compact male (5'7", 140 lbs) and I prefer window seats.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-ver-3-2-class-50bf-5.html
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This should be your one stop shop: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-threads.html.

Not sure which 777 you're looking for.

sUA 772 3-class: 6A
77H (Hawaii): 1A or 1J
77G: 1L

Haven't flown 77Y (sCO 2-class) or 77W.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-ver-3-2-class-50bf-5.html
Thanks, that's the thread. Never having flown this in the pmCO days, I wasn't able to parse the title. I wonder if a new title might be more useful nowadays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.