Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
There is no 1B on this plane.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by phkc070408
There is no 1B on this plane.
Good point, I'm sure they meant 2B, still the bulkhead with wider footwell
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:49 am

I have to agree with another poster farther upstream in that 1KL are the best seats in the entire house. Wider footwells, more widows than row 8, and farther from the lab than 1EF and 2AB.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
5B or 11F on EWR-HKG 16-hour flight.

Any suggestion or view?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
What are the differences between 2A/1L and 8AL?

I know sometimes the curvature of the nose of the plane can reduce the width of the foot well slightly. Not sure on a 777 or 2A. Do you encounter any issues with 2A being near the lav?

Is 8 an issue with galley noise/light?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
8D vs 8E

Does anyone have a preference between 8D or 8E? Any difference in galley noise, restrooms, slant of seat and direction it faces, aisle issues, etc.?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by nycityny
Does anyone have a preference between 8D or 8E? Any difference in galley noise, restrooms, slant of seat and direction it faces, aisle issues, etc.?
I'm usually in one or the other on TPAC, find em both great, no preference.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by nycityny
If you're a side-sleeper, you may want to consider whether you want to face the aisle or the person in the seat next to you.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Appreciate the advice, all. Ended up slipping the return by a day and am now in 5E (my favorite seat in this config).
This was a favorite seat of mine until today. I often pick this seat because I know the off duty pilot is usually in 5D and that way I reduced my risk of getting someone next to me who wants to talk my ear off. After my experience this morning, however, I will avoid this seat unless all other D,E seats are taken.

As I'm boarding UA79 (EWR-NRT) today I was told by the gate agent that "gee, sorry, but the pilot has a contract right to an empty seat next to him or her so we'll have to move you." I was pretty shocked. I'm a GS member on a paid BF ticket with a confirmed seat. Not only was I shocked, I was petrified that I'd be chucked into the back (I have to get to BKK for business, no option) since J class was full... and it was full because they literally not five minutes before had cleared three upgrades from Y. They said they would "try to work it out" and let me board the plane.

Once on board I asked to speak to the ISM. He confirmed this contract right and said they'd try to find me another seat. I disputed this having sat in this seat many times and never heard of this (and very skeptical of the company agreeing to give up two revenue seats in this manner) and again, I was told "he'd see what he could do."

While waiting (the flight was still boarding) I called the GS line, explained the situation to an agent who confirmed there is no such contract right. Ten minutes later a GS agent came on board and straightened it out. Still, this was not a good showing by the company and to avoid this risk in the future I won't choose this seat again.

For the record, the pilot who is now sleeping next to me in 5D apologized for the misunderstanding and confirmed there is no such contract right.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Acastus
... For the record, the pilot who is now sleeping next to me in 5D apologized for the misunderstanding and confirmed there is no such contract right.
The misunderstanding likely comes from the contract right for 752 on TATL flights have/had a last seat sold rule. The empty seat next to the rest seat must be the last seat sold and is not available for upgrades. So even for paid passengers, if there are any other open seats, the seat next to the rest seat must be left empty.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post21537668

So did not apply to your flight but is not complete fiction.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Acastus
"gee, sorry, but the pilot has a contract right to an empty seat next to him or her so we'll have to move you."
This sounds like a candidate for "what's the biggest whopper you heard an FA, GA ...." thread @:-)

Glad you stood your ground (and called) and made it work out ^
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:28 pm

While I understand the COC rules about one paying for "Transportation" and not a particular seat or being onetime, if I paid a lot of money and was wrongfully denied a favorite seat or some other perk that I selected fairly due to my knowledge of operation, etc. due to a crew member making up their own rules, I might be filing a complaint with the DOT and even seek a refund through outside means if necessary. It is reasonable to expected things to not go as planned due to operational reasons. It is not reasonable for a crew member to make up their own rules or not know the rules, especially when he/she probably works the same aircraft often.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: JB Mosaic, VA Gold, SW Companion Pass, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
41JKL

Question about the back of the bus here...

Flying EWR-DEL in a couple days and am currently in 41JKL thanks to seatguru's recommendation of slightly better legroom... is this true?

Also, slightly off topic, but part of the criteria to pick the best seat is also ensuring we get a vegetarian meal. Believe the asian vegetarian meals are a regular menu item on these flights to india - anyone have experience with meals running out by the time they get to the back of the bus? This has happened on other carriers (ahem, EMIRATES) so i am wondering if it is worth moving up a few rows and sacrificing the slightly better legroom?

Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by reddevils4evr
Flying EWR-DEL in a couple days and am currently in 41JKL thanks to seatguru's recommendation of slightly better legroom... is this true?
I VERY seriously doubt it. Just looked at seatguru page, and would like to know why ONLY window seat would have extra legroom in entire row.

And keep in mind that seatguru hasn't been all that for a while now. Quite a while ....

Also looked at seatexpert.com/ and they have no mention of it.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Flying with a family of three IAH-NRT. We are currently in 9A, B, and D. Since 9 A is right before the wing begins, is there more engine noise that can be heard in this seat as opposed to other seats on this plane? Also, is there a full view of the ground or is it partially obstructed. Would love the larger footwell due to being 6'4" (8E, K and L are available) but don't want to sit in 8K and L since the last time we sat there, the galley noise and the light kept us wide awake the entire NRT-EWR trip. Thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.