Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines - Flying with Serious Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines - Flying with Serious Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Question United Airlines - Flying with Serious Luggage

Okay so here I go again. Love this forum, so many knowledgeable people and worthy information. I have one last question before I go.

I am going to be flying United from SFO to PEK, (FLL to IAD to SFO to PEK) and I am trying to figure out the best way to do baggage. I have even included photos for reference.

What is the best way to do this without paying a ton of extra money for the baggage?

Does my laptop bag count as a regular laptop bag or is it to large?

Does this sound right and will I be okay, I am just afraid to get there and be delayed or DENIED the flight? I am afraid they will say the laptop bag is too big?

Checked Bag 1 ($FREE)
* 26" Samsung LCD Computer Monitor Wrapped Up
* Clothes (Shirts, Socks, Pants, etc)
* Hygiene Articles (Shampoo, Deodorants, etc Wrapped Up and Sealed)

Carry-On Bag 1 (FREE)
* More Clothes, and Jacket

Laptop Bag
* Business Paperwork
* Laptop Itself
* External Hard Drive
* Extra Cables, Chargers, etc

Thanks again for the advice and information, it is greatly appreciated.

Carry On Bag

Checked Bag

Laptop Bag
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to UA
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
United.com is your friend. Based on your class of service and status, you can see exactly what you are allowed. Same information is printed on your e-ticket receipt.

Checked Luggage
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...geChecked.aspx

Carry-on Luggage
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eCarry-On.aspx
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
You should be just fine and trust me that is no where close to "serious" luggage! Wait until you get to PEK and see people rolling out 2-3 carts stacked 5' tall with multiple bags the size of your 1 checked bag.

Hopefully that monitor is in the original box in the bag otherwise I'd be concerned of it not arriving in working condition.

Last edited by JDS747; Jun 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yeah you look fine there...that carry-on bag looks like it should easily fit into the overhead...and unless those pictures are deceiving the two checked bags look to be fine...worst case as long as your checked bag makes it through security they make you gate check it (highly unlikely) but that would be free too so you're fine
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1.5 MM
You will be fine but you should do some research on how to pack and travel lighter and with less, as most travelers should learn to do. It just makes your entire experience far better
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
You should be fine.

P.S. 'Serious Luggage' last year I and my wife's TPAC flight involved 5 suitcases each 50lb when we moved from SFO to SIN.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
usually the laptop bag must fit under the seat but no one ever enforces this (lucky maybe) unless you are in bulkhead seating. Just dont go asking people in my opinion. I cant tell from the picture if it will - looks big with wheels?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Agree with others that those aren't "serious" luggage - still got 29" ones in our basement. But, traveling could be a bit easier - IMO ...

Food for thought - personally, 1 roller plus 1 carryon w/o wheels, and optional small bag if necessary - 2 rollers on wheels is max for me - 3 is a challenge thru IAD and SFO making connections, and on the return - regardless of carrier. Corridors at IAD and SFO are very, very long & challenging to navigate with a roller in each hand - at a fast pace (unless connection is plentiful & not rushing to avoid missing the final boarding call ...)

Assumed that this all on a single UA ticket (or Air China code-share) - SFO-PEK is on a 747's and should be fine, what about FLL-IAD and IAD-SFO? If your flight is full, gate agents might restrict "all" pax to one items onboard and gate-check the rest (most recently doing transcon - both DL & AA offered it free to speed up boarding as there simply isn't enough overhead bin & floor space in front of the seats to store all the pieces boarding) Items with wheels tend to be singled out more readily, bulkier & heavier. Are you flying Y or Y+ or up front in J and will you pre-board with status/zone 1?

Carryon looked like a wide-body and should be fine in OHB, within 45" linear measurements for a typical 22" MLC case. The 2nd. personal bag is defined by UA as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item (no larger than 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches, or 36 linear inches)

I would take out the tape measures but my hunch is that yours might be over or it's very close as it looked fully expanded. Are you taking a 15" or 17" laptop plus gadgets/accessories?

Is the 26" monitor staying behind in China after a presentation or a gift to someone, and not flying back afterward? Even tagged as fragile, there's no guarantee that it will safely arrived in working order without cracks or damages.

How long are you staying in China, bring less & find a way to do some laundry during your stay, think outside the box for a moment. It's the joy of traveling light, even when going overseas

This is my personal bag, from Eddie Bauer - small & fit easily even for regional jets, but expandable if necessary. I now travel mainly with 11.6" Sony netbook & Nexus 7 tablet (sometimes, I will go with the "bigger" Dell 14" notebook & iPad) and I got everything covered, with room for medications & energy bars/snacks/nuts & crackers. Most of the gadgets fit tightly inside a small or slim eBag packing cube, depending on how I arrange items - with room for a tall 16 oz. coffee themos, my favorite personal piece on the road. Fully loaded but heavy, but FA barely blink as I pass them "sling" over the shoulder (with a fully sized 22" carryon for domestic, int'l - I checked only one piece & bring an extra/zip-out fleece jacket for the cabin.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jun 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm Reason: typo / condensed
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:59 pm

The laptop bag looks a tad too big (esp with the wheels), imo.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm skeptical that rollaboard laptop bag will fit within the "personal item" guidelines.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm skeptical that rollaboard laptop bag will fit within the "personal item" guidelines.
I have never had a problem with McKlein USA Roosevelt Leather Detachable Wheeled 17" Laptop Case
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:27 am

3 Lil Abner's flying in 3 days GF - LAS-SFO-NRT-BKK-KKC with 9 - 62 linear inches of Home Depot boxes (70 lbs each) plus 3 roller-boards and 2 back packs and a purse. All of the above should should make it ALL THE WAY with no charges!

2 neighbors pick-up's required to get us to the airport at this end.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I define 'serious luggage' as 3 x 70 lb boxes + roller + backpack.

And THAT'S how United moved my apartment one flight at a time!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone!

I feel much better now, and not such a spaz anymore.

What a great forum with great people!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.