Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver Airways now CODESHARE partner (not UX) -- Experiences? Bag allowance? Mileage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
2013 -- Silver Airways changed from UX operator to codeshare for Florida flights
2014 -- Silver Airways operations out of IAD also convert to codeshares

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/earn-miles/airline-partners/silver-airways.html
Earning miles on Silver Airways flights
If your ticket was purchased directly from united.com, by calling the United Customer Contact Center (including a United specialty desk, such as United Groups, United Meetings or the Premier Priority Desk), from a United representative at the airport, or through a United ticket office, you'll earn miles based on the fare footnote1, footnote2 and your MileagePlus status. Please reference the "Ticket number starts with 016" section below. footnote3 Otherwise, you should reference the "Ticket number does not start with 016" section. footnote4 You'll earn miles based on flight distance footnote5 and the purchased fare class and/or fare class flown. footnote6
Note only RDMS, no PQMs
Using miles
See our award chart to find out how many miles you'll need to fly one way or roundtrip, depending on class of service and region of travel, on any Star Alliance network airline. You can book award travel on Silver Airways through united.com. Service charges may apply for booking or changing award reservations, depending on ticketing, travel dates and MileagePlus status. Award tickets cannot be issued at the airport. Call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to reach the United Customer Contact Center within the U.S. and Canada, or view more contact and language options.
Checked baggage
Service charges apply whenever bags are checked with Silver Airways as the first operating carrier, and are determined by the marketing carrier.
Please note that service charge waivers for the following customers do not apply to codeshare flights with Silver Airways:
  • MileagePlus Premier members
  • United MileagePlus Chase card members
For more information and to determine specific checked baggage service charges, please see the checked baggage page. Additional baggage policies for travel on Silver Airways may be found on their website.
Print Wikipost

Silver Airways now CODESHARE partner (not UX) -- Experiences? Bag allowance? Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat

post on ual.com

Notice regarding Silver Airways

​Effective June 8, 2013, Silver Airways will transition from a United Express® carrier in Florida and the Bahamas to a codeshare partner. Silver Airways will continue to operate as a United Express carrier at Cleveland and Washington Dulles.

Beginning June 8, customers with an originating flight within Florida or between Florida and the Bahamas on Silver Airways should check in with Silver Airways at gosilver.com or at a Silver Airways ticket counter. Customers traveling on United Express to and from Cleveland or Washington Dulles should check in with United as usual.

My question - will this have any real impact on Silver Airways flights posting to Mileage Plus? will other express carriers become CODESHARE partners in the future?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OMAguy

My question - will this have any real impact on Silver Airways flights posting to Mileage Plus? will other express carriers become CODESHARE partners in the future?
1. Theoretically no. But it will have an impact on the 4 flight minimum issue.

2. Let's not start theories about one carrier that was always a little odd and expand this to the other ones.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
oh, also if my understanding is correct, it won't count anymore towards lifetime mileage either. only UA, UAX and copa count for that.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
oh, also if my understanding is correct, it won't count anymore towards lifetime mileage either. only UA, UAX and copa count for that.
Actually, those flights probably will not earn PQM at all, per the Silver Airways earning chart.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
and I m guessing no more awards on these flights, at least online?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
This is disappointing news. I've started many a flight with a hop from MCO-FLL for the extra 500 miles. Those Saabs are seriously loud though.

StivStivSteve
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
i just received an email notifying me of the change as well (i had flights booked to/from EYW over thanksgiving using silver). i did not even think of the PQM that are going away - and i imagine the 100% 1K elite bonus. interestingly enough it says you still get 500 minimum miles for each flight. i am not going to cancel or change my plans because of this news, but its disappointing the change is happening. interestingly enough, it only affects Florida flights - not those out of IAD or CLE. makes me wonder what is next...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
and I m guessing no more awards on these flights, at least online?
Well, the Aer Lingus codeshares can be booked, so I don't think it means Silver won't be available.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OMAguy
interestingly enough, it only affects Florida flights - not those out of IAD or CLE. makes me wonder what is next...
The ex-IAD and ex-CLE flights are IIRC all EAS routes, so they're contractually obligated to operate them as UA flights I believe. OTOH, Great Lakes operates several EAS routes which they codeshare with UA but no longer as a United Express carrier, so it's possible that requirement could change.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by stivstiv
This is disappointing news. I've started many a flight with a hop from MCO-FLL for the extra 500 miles. Those Saabs are seriously loud though.

StivStivSteve
Same here, MCO-PNS (Pensacola) a nice way to start the day and get an extra PQS.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Silver Airways has several lofty goals it wants to achieve, one of which is having more control over its operation and pricing. Silver is migrating off SHARES and onto its own Sabre partition for most flights ( CLE and IAD exceptions). The company also wants the ability to codeshare with other carriers besides UA.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denCSA
Silver Airways has several lofty goals it wants to achieve, one of which is having more control over its operation and pricing. Silver is migrating off SHARES and onto its own Sabre partition for most flights ( CLE and IAD exceptions). The company also wants the ability to codeshare with other carriers besides UA.
Now, if they can only make sure they land at the right airport every time...
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:03 am

This sucks for us in Florida! No PQMs as far as I can see... and no elite bonuses!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Another bummer, they were not bad.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:02 pm

Sliver airlines now code share rather than sub contractor?

I fly jax to tpa every 2 weeks and in the past I did everything on UA's website and app. My most recent trip booked on UA routed me to Silver's website to check in. In the past I had a paperless UA BP with Permier Access. Now I have a paper Silver Airlines BP with no Premier Access. Also no access to BP in the UA app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.