Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the name for this fare construction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I asked matrix.itasoftware.com to find me a multicity itinerary with three components:

(1) LON->CAK,CLE
(2) CLE->STL
(3) STL->LON

It gave me the following itinerary:

Day 1: LHR-ORD-CAK
Day 3: CLE-ORD-STL
Day 5: STL-ORD-IAD-LHR

It gave me fare construction:
Fare 1: LON->CAK
Fare 2: CLE->LON
Fare 3: CHI->STL
Fare 4: STL->CHI

How does that work? It looks like this fare engine is starting the return segment as "CLE-ORD-IAD-LHR", and then adding on an "ORD-STL // STL-ORD" segment inside there. What is this construction called?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
End on end.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
In a way, it's a nested roundtrip. Because of your planned stopovers and the way UA's hubs are aligned, the lowest fare combination turns out to be one roundtrip nested in another, even though you are only connecting through ORD. This happens occasionally, and it's perfectly legal. You might run into trouble with CS agents during irrops because the fare rules are more convoluted than what they normally see. Also, should you need to make changes, you might be looking at two separate penalty fees and perhaps also repricing. Still, go with it if you are comfortable with this itinerary. But proceed with caution!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:19 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Basically it is a destination open jaw consisting of LONCAK and CLELON combined with a sidetrip CHISTLCHI.

Fare construction should be like LON YY X/CHI YY CAK -/ CLE YY CHI (YY STL YY CHI) YY X/WAS YY LON.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Basically it is a destination open jaw consisting of LONCAK and CLELON combined with a sidetrip CHISTLCHI.

Fare construction should be like LON YY X/CHI YY CAK -/ CLE YY CHI (YY STL YY CHI) YY X/WAS YY LON.
Got it, this is spot-on, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.