Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Avoiding a misconnect on Sunday: what is your advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding a misconnect on Sunday: what is your advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
The weather on the East Coast (I'm in DC) seems OK today, at least until later this afternoon, so you should be OK. A few months ago, however, UA at its own initiative offered to put me on an earlier flight (at no charge) when I checked in at the airport, so that I wouldn't risk missing a connection at EWR (LX to ZRH).
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

As expected, 55 minute delay announced just when I arrived at the gate to board. I'd been watching "Where is this aircraft coming from?" like a hawk. No problem with plane, but the crew isn't here.

I was aware of ATC and weather problems; I hadn't considered delayed crews.

They didn't make it to their inbound flight either. They haven't left Newark yet, and their scheduled to arrive in "C" not "A." There's no way we'll get out of here anywhere close to a 55-minute delay, unless the crew has a jet-powered backpacks to get them over here. (At least the aircraft is cleaned and catered.)

So far, my connection is still valid with adequate time.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Even though they held my connecting flight by 46 minutes, they closed the door and wouldn't let me on.

The crew arrived at Boston Terminal C, and apparently took the T in to the City, went to Starbucks, bought a few things at Lord and Taylor, and then made their way to the aircraft.

Likewise, we sat on the ground for 45 minutes waiting for bags to be loaded.

I lost my upgrade, but Odette, a gem in the United Club, at least gave me an exit row window. I'm sure I'll be exhausted tomorrow... I've been travelling for seven hours, seven minutes and only made it from Boston to Newark.

No more Shuttle America!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
I don't understand this from UA: why they work with a contractor that allows this craziness with the crew. 2 and 15 minute delay because the crew went shopping downtown? This is beyond ridiculous
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Oh, I don't think they really went shopping... it just took them an unthinkably long time to get from one gate to the next. They did not act interested in working quickly... they don't care; they don't work for United. And they just made a lot of announcements saying, "we don't have any gate information." They just acted like they went shopping.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
Even though they held my connecting flight by 46 minutes, they closed the door and wouldn't let me on.

The crew arrived at Boston Terminal C, and apparently took the T in to the City, went to Starbucks, bought a few things at Lord and Taylor, and then made their way to the aircraft.

Likewise, we sat on the ground for 45 minutes waiting for bags to be loaded.

I lost my upgrade, but Odette, a gem in the United Club, at least gave me an exit row window. I'm sure I'll be exhausted tomorrow... I've been travelling for seven hours, seven minutes and only made it from Boston to Newark.

No more Shuttle America!
There's a lesson here.

Stop playing games and trying to guess the odds.

If you absolutely need to make a connection, get to the airport early. Really early. When a connection is very important to me, I give it 3-4 hours. When a connection is absolutely essential, I'll arrive a day or two in advance.

This is reality. Forget about statistics. Forget about weather. Forget about all the stupid web apps. Doesn't matter, and you've been shown that.

We know that the "partner" airlines are even worse than UA and we know that EWR is a horrible airport.

So, anyone choosing to fly a partner airline into EWR should heed this advice even more.

UA has become horrible under $mi$ek, which only makes these issues worse, but these principles apply to everyone, everywhere, all the time.

I feel bad for you. I know what a horrible, tiring, and stressful day it's been. But, you've learned a lesson. Don't come back here and tell us you did the same thing next time and got the same result again.

This lesson applies to anyone needing to connect and applies equally to all the pathetic second and third tier airlines. American Eagle isn't a bastion of customer satisfaction, for example. And, I was once stuck in MNL for 3 days due to a similar scenario. Small planes and third tier airlines = recipe for trouble. Bake it in.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Whee, it's a SWAP level 3 day.

There's some EWR flight that's 499 minutes delayed, just waiting to be cancelled.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mitchmu
There's a lesson here.

Stop playing games and trying to guess the odds.

If you absolutely need to make a connection, get to the airport early. Really early. When a connection is very important to me, I give it 3-4 hours. When a connection is absolutely essential, I'll arrive a day or two in advance.

This is reality. Forget about statistics. Forget about weather. Forget about all the stupid web apps. Doesn't matter, and you've been shown that.

We know that the "partner" airlines are even worse than UA and we know that EWR is a horrible airport.

So, anyone choosing to fly a partner airline into EWR should heed this advice even more.

UA has become horrible under $mi$ek, which only makes these issues worse, but these principles apply to everyone, everywhere, all the time.

I feel bad for you. I know what a horrible, tiring, and stressful day it's been. But, you've learned a lesson. Don't come back here and tell us you did the same thing next time and got the same result again.

This lesson applies to anyone needing to connect and applies equally to all the pathetic second and third tier airlines. American Eagle isn't a bastion of customer satisfaction, for example. And, I was once stuck in MNL for 3 days due to a similar scenario. Small planes and third tier airlines = recipe for trouble. Bake it in.
this is so dramatic Mitch, I love it. but can you honestly say you have arrived 1-2 days in advance to standby on an earlier flight and make an essential connection? if so you might want to see someone about that level of paranoia jk

OP, while I feel bad for you in a way, you basically went against all the advice you were offered to try and change to an earlier flight either by SDC or standby. So this coupled with your selection of EWR as a connecting airport means that you somewhat reap what you sow. I dealt with the same thing last night at SFO when my SFO-SMF connector was quite delayed with an already long layover. I drove and made it to my house an hour east of SMF by the time the flight was touching down at SMF.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1
this is so dramatic Mitch, I love it. but can you honestly say you have arrived 1-2 days in advance to standby on an earlier flight and make an essential connection? if so you might want to see someone about that level of paranoia jk
This "drama" is necessary to survive COdbaUA. I don't create the drama, I just try to get through all the obstacles thrown in my way by a hostile regime and pathetic IT systems.

I can honestly say that when I went to PTY last year, I arrived 2 days before I needed to arrive, to make a connection that absolutely had to be made. Yes, I did it. I'm not a liar, even if some people feel more comfortable convincing themselves that I am, because the reality is too unpleasant to face.

And, guess what? When I showed up at the airport, for my 2 day early flight, I was told that I had no seat. As I'm sure you know, we were downgraded. But, what if that plane had checked in full in Y and there had been no space to downgrade me to? Then, what? Who would be the paranoid fool in that situation? There were no direct SFO-PTY flights to my knowledge, so, then, we'd have needed time to find space on a two flights to get to PTY, during a time of exceptionally high load factors. One need not have much imagination to see how 2 days might have been just the right amount of time to get there depending on timing, connections, other delays, WX, MX, CX, and SHARES debacles. Sure, with one thing going wrong, 2 days seems excessive. But, add a few things together, as can happen, and those 2 days disappear.

I know you're joking and being friendly, and my response is meant in kind, but I am serious about this topic. This is how I plan my trips and I've been proven right, over and over and over again.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Oh, I did try SDC for sure... There were no seats. I had a choice of ORD, IAD, and SFO for the connection; each one has its problems and delays. But I certainly called at 24 hours and then again at 0600. But I've just landed, and I did we'll considering that many Newark flights were cancelled. Also, 21A is not a bad seat at all.

The crew were great. Despite the stress, I'm glad I got home the same day. Now we just need a gate!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV
Originally Posted by Mats
I had a choice of ORD, IAD, and SFO for the connection; each one has its problems and delays.
Indeed. I flew yesterday too (YUL-IAD-DEN) on the last flights of the day and incoming flight into YUL (arriving from IAD) was 60+ minutes late, meaning I'd miss my connection in IAD. While GAs were rebooking away people, I decided to take a chance anyway and it paid off: IAD-DEN was equally delayed, so I managed to connect fine.

Well, I also got the chance to try an unpublished UA feature where they deliver your luggage to your destination. Somehow it involves waiting in vain at your destination's baggage carrousel for almost an hour, then filing a form - afterwards they can *precisely* tell you at what previous airport your luggage is. They then deliver it sometime during the next day, at your hotel. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.