Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blocking adjacent seat to elite member?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
Yeah on almost every flight I'm on the gate agents fill seats front to back, guaranteeing that elites will have someone next to them
I'll take this opportunity to bang on again about how I wish they'd program sby to fill in reverse order of the upgrade list's adjacent seat. E.g., first on upgrade list is last to get sby cleared as seatmate. Fine if they have exceptions for elites on sby, but 99% of the time it would be a big improvement for the top elites.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually more often than not, they often get filled with Kettles on Basic Economy fares who lazy gate agents clear into premium seats instead of assigning them into open seats in the back.
It's unfortunate to see that derogatory term used. People who buy cheaper tickets are not lesser human beings.

And in any event, IME you're very likely to get a 1K or a UA employee cleared into the bulkhead middles.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's unfortunate to see that derogatory term used. People who buy cheaper tickets are not lesser human beings.

And in any event, IME you're very likely to get a 1K or a UA employee cleared into the bulkhead middles.
Remember, while G-d created all people as equals, He didn't mention that all customers are created equal, because they are not. There is absolutely no reason why a gate agent should be clearing a BE standby into a premium E+ or exit row seat to sit next to an elite, instead of placing them into an open seat in the back. The open middle in the E+/ER section should remain open when any elite member is seated next to the seat, and it's not needed due to flight loads. This is especially true given that seat has a price tag on it, that anyone else who isn't elite would need to pay to reserve.

This is as infuriating as Delta gate agents who routinely clear BE standbys into Comfort+ instead of open seats in the back, which is more of affront given C+ is a separate fare class.

If the BE customer is a 1K/Plat/Gold, that's a different story, but certainly rarely the case from anyone whose been cleared into a seat next to me where I've had a chance to glance at their BP
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje
I'll take this opportunity to bang on again about how I wish they'd program sby to fill in reverse order of the upgrade list's adjacent seat. E.g., first on upgrade list is last to get sby cleared as seatmate. Fine if they have exceptions for elites on sby, but 99% of the time it would be a big improvement for the top elites.
Fully agree and support. It need not even be the upgrade list, just in reverse order of Premier status.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
I'll take this opportunity to bang on again about how I wish they'd program sby to fill in reverse order of the upgrade list's adjacent seat. E.g., first on upgrade list is last to get sby cleared as seatmate.
Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
Fully agree and support. It need not even be the upgrade list, just in reverse order of Premier status.
Yes, but UA would have to actually care about the inflight experience to implement such a policy. Those days ended quite a while ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.