Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20 liters of cider as checked baggage

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 10:07 am
Original Poster

20 liters of cider as checked baggage

I'll be in Somerset next month and Mrs herzmeh loves Somerset cider... Aside of dealing with customs regarding bringing in ~6 gallons of cider, will UA let me check a box-o-cider? Any tips? It essentially a huge box not to dissimilar to plain old boxed wine.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by herzmeh
I'll be in Somerset next month and Mrs herzmeh loves Somerset cider... Aside of dealing with customs regarding bringing in ~6 gallons of cider, will UA let me check a box-o-cider? Any tips? It essentially a huge box not to dissimilar to plain old boxed wine.
I'd put the box of cider in a larger box, maybe a wine shipper box.

No issues otherwise - as 20 liters is roughly 20 lbs.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by aacharya

Agreed, besides perhaps double packing as suggested above you should be fine. If it's in a plain box they will likely make you sign a release against breakage. If you can fit it in a piece of luggage they won't even know what it is.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:01 am

It should be over 40lbs shouldn't it? 20l is roughly 20kg of water, I presume scrumpy isn't half as dense.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

That's not even close.

Unless it's very light cider.

It's going to be 45 lbs (cider has a density of 1.01 kg per liter, 20 liters would be 20.2 kg or 44.5 lbs) for the weight of the cider, plus the weight of the bottles or cans or box it's packed in plus the weight of the shipping box or suitcase it's packed in.

But to answer the question, as long as it's under 24% alcohol by volume, which it probably is unless it's really high octane cider, you can carry as much as you want, between 24% and 70% each customer is limited to five liters.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
20 liters is more like 44 (American) pounds, plus packaging (bottles etc).
Old May 12, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I just looked up the customs duty...it's looks like it's a few cents per liter on cider. Given it's that small, I have to imagine they'll just waive you on through. Just be sure to be honest. You should also double check with your state liquor board that you're allowed to import 20 liters of cider at once...again I doubt it's an issue.

Where you may get into trouble is weight. If you don't have any status, baggage limits cut off at 50 lbs/bag. I have to imagine that with the 44-45 pounds of cider itself, you're getting very close to the limit with the packaging added. I'd double check this closely.

Enjoy!
Old May 12, 2013, 11:42 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Agreed, besides perhaps double packing as suggested above you should be fine. If it's in a plain box they will likely make you sign a release against breakage. If you can fit it in a piece of luggage they won't even know what it is.
Anyone who handles a bag with gallons of liquid in it should be able to determine that there are gallons of liquid in it, even if double packed, just by the feel. Especially if they (a lobby CSR or ramp service person) have any experience with luggage. Not that it is important unless a hazmat or an unsuitably packed bag, which I am betting it will be labeled as (fragile/unsuitably packed, that is.)
Old May 12, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With packaging, my guess is that it should be a little over 50 lbs. Hope you won't get charged. You may also want to pray for it to arrive in one piece.

Last edited by TerryK; May 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm
Old May 12, 2013, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

20 liters is roughly 44 lbs, since 1 liter = 1 kg = 2.2 lbs.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Flying in C, weight shouldn't be an issue. If it breaks in-flight... I feel bad for people whose stuff ends up being covered in rotten apple juice. Thanks for pointers - since that farm also does mail order, I'll ask them to pack it up as if they were shipping it. That should do it.

As for the state liquor board... either I'm a complete moron or NJs site is very vague. In either case, this is no different than me bring in 3 or so 24packs of swill - don't see an issue.

edit: found the state limit... no more than 11 quarts without a permit, permit costs $50, so comes to roughly $5/liter. Getting pricey...

How keen is CBP on enforcing the state law?

Last edited by herzmeh; May 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Old May 12, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
edit: found the state limit... no more than 11 quarts without a permit, permit costs $50, so comes to roughly $5/liter. Getting pricey...

CBP does not care about state laws. This is no different from someone driving from out of state into NJ with 20 liters of cider as far as NJ is concerned. This should be between you and NJ.

I personally would not worry about this. Just declare it on customs form and you should be fine.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
That's not even close.

Unless it's very light cider.

It's going to be 45 lbs (cider has a density of 1.01 kg per liter, 20 liters would be 20.2 kg or 44.5 lbs) for the weight of the cider, plus the weight of the bottles or cans or box it's packed in plus the weight of the shipping box or suitcase it's packed in.

But to answer the question, as long as it's under 24% alcohol by volume, which it probably is unless it's really high octane cider, you can carry as much as you want, between 24% and 70% each customer is limited to five liters.
Truth.

Read about it here: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/fragile.aspx

Last edited by freightFlyer44; May 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reason: correction - it is a United 5 liter limit and not a government one
Old May 12, 2013, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
Anyone who handles a bag with gallons of liquid in it should be able to determine that there are gallons of liquid in it, even if double packed, just by the feel.
Only if the ullage (the unfilled portion of the container) is large enough to allow significant sloshing. When I pack bottles, they're very nearly full, so unless you knew better, you'd be hard pressed to tell that there's liquid as opposed to, say, rocks. (And, yes, I've carried rocks, too!)
Old May 12, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Flying in C, weight shouldn't be an issue. If it breaks in-flight... I feel bad for people whose stuff ends up being covered in rotten apple juice. Thanks for pointers - since that farm also does mail order, I'll ask them to pack it up as if they were shipping it. That should do it.

As for the state liquor board... either I'm a complete moron or NJs site is very vague. In either case, this is no different than me bring in 3 or so 24packs of swill - don't see an issue.

Chances are very low that CBP will enforce state law. Just be honest and offer to pay the duty. 99% chance they'll waive you on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.