Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
It can be tricky to up-fare agency tickets since you need to get a UA agent to take over the ticket, and this could mess with the record. If you plant to do this regularly, I would consider the consequences and how uptight your company is.
Thanks for the heads up. The company isn't terribly uptight, they allow you to tack on Friends/Significant-others onto the reservations. You just have to mark those as employee will pay on the expense reports. I contacted the company travel admins earlier to see if I could have them book First for me and they would only charge the company the lowest fare and I pay the delta. That is possible, but it's not exactly clear how it will play out on the expense report. I want to try the upfare method before I dive into wacky expense reports.

Thank you both for the clarifications, and advice.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SwaBiz
Thanks for the heads up. The company isn't terribly uptight, they allow you to tack on Friends/Significant-others onto the reservations. You just have to mark those as employee will pay on the expense reports. I contacted the company travel admins earlier to see if I could have them book First for me and they would only charge the company the lowest fare and I pay the delta. That is possible, but it's not exactly clear how it will play out on the expense report. I want to try the upfare method before I dive into wacky expense reports.

Thank you both for the clarifications, and advice.
You're probably fine then - most of the complication comes from a situation like canceling a non-refundable up-fared ticket, which will leave you with a coupon value in your name only, whereas if it were still owned by the agency it generally can be reused by any employee. As long as you travel somewhat regularly and usually as booked, it's probably not an issue.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SwaBiz
I have trips that I have to book through Concur, which as many know means I have to buy the cheapest ticket available. Usually if I wait 2-3 weeks before I have to leave I can fly UA as the cost between SWA/AA/UA is negligible that it doesn't get flagged. I've read through the more recent posts and can clearly see that to get PQD (which is what I need) I need to call in and do an upfare, not upgrade. When you do an upfare can you pay immediately then? The reason I'm asking is I need my company to be billed the Econ ticket then I want pay the rest to get into P/Z/C/D/J, without a refund going to the company. Hope that's clear, had trouble wording it properly.
I have upfared Concur bookings before and it did not cause any issues.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:21 am

Flying IAD to LHR This coming monday the 15th and was offered an upgrade to business for ~$800 on a $2500 econ fair my company purchased. My biggest question is if i pull the trigger on this upgrade will i get the full credit as if i had taken first in terms of my gold progress?

Is this a good price? Any idea if it will get cheaper? Thanks in advance!
Old May 14, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by vtbobf
Flying IAD to LHR This coming monday the 15th and was offered an upgrade to business for ~$800 on a $2500 econ fair my company purchased. My biggest question is if i pull the trigger on this upgrade will i get the full credit as if i had taken first in terms of my gold progress?

Is this a good price? Any idea if it will get cheaper? Thanks in advance!
You will earn no PQD, and may earn PQM. You are not entitled to it, but it may credit anyway depending on the booking class of the upsell.

$829 is a very common price; occasional reports in the $600 range, but almost never less than that.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:35 am

thanks i care about the PQM more... anyway to see the fair class in advance?
Old May 14, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks i care about the PQM more... anyway to see the fair class in advance?
No. It is usually the lowest currently available class (by inventory, not by sale) but this is not at all guaranteed.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Flying IAD to LHR This coming monday the 15th...
PS I'd check your dates if you're booked for "Monday the 15th..." Monday is the 20th.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Question - if you take an upgrade offer on the "My Reservations" screen (after ticketing, but well before check-in), does it affect the underlying fare rules?

Looking at an upgrade offer for the return leg of an international trip in a few weeks (specifically ZRH-IAD). Outbound leg for the trip is booked in D, return leg is currently booked in Q. Upgrade offer for return flight is $599, not bad for a long-haul. However want to know what would happen if I theoretically had to change/cancel - current fare for both directions is notated REFUNDABLE/CXL FEE/CHG FEE. I assume (if, say I cancelled later) I'd lose the $599 but would the underlying fare continue to have the same rules (refundable with an associated cancellation fee)? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chleonard
Question - if you take an upgrade offer on the "My Reservations" screen (after ticketing, but well before check-in), does it affect the underlying fare rules?
It should not; over the past couple of years, all online upgrades have become "sticker-type" upgrades that do not affect the underlying ticket.

That said, AFAIK, there's no way to tell in advance whether or not UA has changed things. So, you'd definitely be taking a risk.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
It should not; over the past couple of years, all online upgrades have become "sticker-type" upgrades that do not affect the underlying ticket.

That said, AFAIK, there's no way to tell in advance whether or not UA has changed things. So, you'd definitely be taking a risk.
OK thanks, that was my understanding as well. Might call in and ask, or consider doing a MUA instead since I know that won't change the underlying fare.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chleonard
Looking at an upgrade offer for the return leg of an international trip in a few weeks (specifically ZRH-IAD). Outbound leg for the trip is booked in D, return leg is currently booked in Q. Upgrade offer for return flight is $599, not bad for a long-haul. However want to know what would happen if I theoretically had to change/cancel - current fare for both directions is notated REFUNDABLE/CXL FEE/CHG FEE. I assume (if, say I cancelled later) I'd lose the $599 but would the underlying fare continue to have the same rules (refundable with an associated cancellation fee)? Thanks.
While jsloan is right that things can change whenever, I would be confident in saying that the intended and worst case is that your $599 is forfeit and the rest of the ticket retains its original rules.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:53 am

Any recent data points on upgrades and PQM/PQD earnings? I have a IAD-SFO leg coming up with a $310 upgrade offer. If it would result in additional PQM then I'd be pretty tempted (sounds like PQD is generally off the table for these)
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by adams828
Any recent data points on upgrades and PQM/PQD earnings? I have a IAD-SFO leg coming up with a $310 upgrade offer. If it would result in additional PQM then I'd be pretty tempted (sounds like PQD is generally off the table for these)
PQMs? If it books into a paid fare yes. (fairly common)
If it books into an award / upgrade fare class, no.

PQDs? Only if done at booking or as true upfare / flight change.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by adams828
Recommend you check the available fare buckets being sold to confirm that the $310 is the difference between lowest Y fare and lowest F fare and then call to request an upfare and find out what UA is selling it for - which should be the $310.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.