Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Full TA is available:

http://ourcontract.org/news/2016/7/1...-now-available

If it does pass we won't fly together until we are on a common crew management system which is expected to take 12-18 months.
But you will be able to work Airbus and such sooner, but it will have to be sCO or sUA FA crew?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
But you will be able to work Airbus and such sooner, but it will have to be sCO or sUA FA crew?
That's what I'm confused about does it mean we can fly each others aircraft just not together or are we still relegated to our pre merger aircraft until the cms is implemented. I'll have to ask around.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
That's what I'm confused about does it mean we can fly each others aircraft just not together or are we still relegated to our pre merger aircraft until the cms is implemented. I'll have to ask around.
One would think anyone could bid on any flight, as theoretically subsidiary will go away. At least for FAs.

And I think given your aircraft preference we know which birds you'll be bidding on
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
One would think anyone could bid on any flight, as theoretically subsidiary will go away. At least for FAs.

And I think given your aircraft preference we know which birds you'll be bidding on
How does bidding work for the pilots? Didn't their subsidiary thing go away. Can they bid for any flight they are qualified on the type of aircraft or are they limited to sUA and sCO too. I would think a unified FA contract would do the same, they could bid for any flight they are qualified to work on the plane as technically the sUA and sCO would go away for them as it did the pilots.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Baze
How does bidding work for the pilots? Didn't their subsidiary thing go away. Can they bid for any flight they are qualified on the type of aircraft or are they limited to sUA and sCO too. I would think a unified FA contract would do the same, they could bid for any flight they are qualified to work on the plane as technically the sUA and sCO would go away for them as it did the pilots.
Pilots are totally unified now, and the FAs will do the same contingent on the TA passing and the transition of all three groups onto a common scheduling platform, which will take time.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question Do Flight Attendants get Penalized if Cabin is not Ready for Takeoff?

Last night, I was on a flight into IAH. At departure, apparently 2 passengers got sick (supposedly from airport food) and had to go to the bathroom after we started pushing back. This delayed the start of the manual safety demo (it was a A319).

I was in 1F so I heard all the conversations. The Purser was very concerned with getting things done. It seemed she was reluctant to call the cockpit (and I think a pilot coworker told me that there is a period of time where the cockpit is not to be disturbed?).

So, they rushed through the safety demo - covered all the topics. The pilot issued the departure announcement. The FA called the cockpit and said they had some issues but they were ready. Then we departed. She was rushing to check everything, and got up last minute to latch some unlatched stuff she discovered...

Not too bad - the F service items were not collected and the serving tray fell off as we rolled down the runway. Nothing worse (and believe me, I have had 2 instances of cart opening up during takeoff the last 7 months) so it was good.

The flight attendant was EXCELLENT with the service - food came fast and hot, drinks were filled, she was friendly and addressed everyone by name, etc...So, it is not like she did not want to do the right thing.

This made me wonder...do they get penalized in any way for telling the cockpit they needed a little extra time? It was a late flight into IAH and we were early so I am not sure if "losing our slot" would have been an issue.

Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Well, an A319 seats 128 people, so for each second the flight is late you are delaying the passengers by two minutes in aggregate. And that's not even counting any potential impact on the aircraft's next flight. So perhaps the FA was acting out of concern for the passengers.

Otherwise, I would imagine the incentives are actually reversed, meaning the FAs get paid for as long as the aircraft door is closed, i.e., more delay = more pay. Based on your other observations, it sounds like you just had a good FA who wanted everything to be on time.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No doubt she was a great FA.

We ended up landing at IAH 27 minutes before scheduled arrival. Even with a delay getting to the occupied gate, we got there 20 minutes early. So, I didn't think 2-3 minutes would have mattered and a delay was not her reason for not asking the pilots for more time.

In fact, she actually had the Y FA ask the sick passengers to see if we should return to the gate.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it doesn't sound like the flight was departing behind schedule...but sometimes these things get hurried if the crew is worried they are going to time out. doesn't sound as though that was the case this time.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
No, they are not penalized.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
How does bidding work for the pilots? Didn't their subsidiary thing go away.
It did, but there are far fewer pilots than F/As. My understanding is that the current system isn't capable of handling the number of transactions that the combined F/A group would generate in a month.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So is there a sub base for 787 TPAC flying from SFO and DEN for sCO crew? I just did both XIY and the inaugural HGH flight and one of the crew (perhaps incorrectly) told me they are flying a mix of sUA and sCO on some of these flights.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So is there a sub base for 787 TPAC flying from SFO and DEN for sCO crew? I just did both XIY and the inaugural HGH flight and one of the crew (perhaps incorrectly) told me they are flying a mix of sUA and sCO on some of these flights.
sub CO NTA (Newark intl base) fly the 787 DEN-NRT

sub CO HOS (Houston Language base) fly the 787 DEN-NRT

Sub CO SFI (San Fran intl base) fly the 787 to:

AKL, CTU, HGH, KIX, SIN, TLV, XIY

sub CO SLS (San Fran language base) flies to CTU, HGH, KIX, SIN, TLV, XIY.

sub UA SFO base flies the 787 to TPE.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; Jul 16, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
and the inaugural HGH flight and one of the crew (perhaps incorrectly) told me they are flying a mix of sUA and sCO on some of these flights.
My educated guess would be pilots and FAs mix, as JOSECONLSCREW28 points out the FAs still aren't integrated, while as I understand it, pilots are.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Tattoo Question

This was a first for me: I flew a mainline aircraft flight DEN-GEG last week and one of the younger FA's in F was wearing the short sleeve dress and on the inside of her right forearm she had a two inch, circular tattoo exposed. I like tattoos, so it doesn't bother me but I was wondering if there's a company policy regarding them.

Thanks

Last edited by limey1K; Jul 16, 2016 at 7:07 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.