Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lack of ua mainline flights; Does united have more regional jets than other carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of ua mainline flights; Does united have more regional jets than other carriers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
When I plan a trip I look at RJ segments and lengths of flight. I am not price sensitive. I am not the only one I know who cares about this stuff. I refuse to sit on an UNITED RJ for 3 and 4 hours in their current state of service. Delta gets it, and AA has indicated they get it as well. UNITED can do what it thinks is best, and so will I.
Yep for sure. As also stated above in MSP it's all RJ except a few flights. I've gone back this last month to DL much more in my weekly flying as I get a mainframe or a RJ with more FC seats than UA.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
119 of those Express being the dreaded "Canada's revenge" CR2/CL65.
..or " the Devils Chariot" being my favourite
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
IAH-DFW/DAL - Only E145s until 4:58 PM

I booked a flight in July to fly MDE-BOG-IAH-DFW on January 19/20, 2014, and immediately applied a mileage upgrade which was confirmed. The BOG-IAH is a red-eye, and I specifically booked a longer than necessary connection in IAH so I could have an upgradeable aircraft for the final leg. My thought was that I would sleep on the red-eye, then shower and make some phone calls from the club before continuing on to Dallas.

Checking my flight schedules this morning, I see that a change was made to that final leg which went from a CRJ700 to an ERJ145. When looking for other options, I see that there are zero flights prior to 4:58 PM on any aircraft other than E145s. I checked other days, and they're all the same, so I can't benefit from moving it up or down in my date of travel.

In contrast, AA has 5 mainline flights to DFW starting at 7:30 AM which depart before UAX's 4:58 PM E170. For Houston-based pax, even WN would be a major upgrade compared to UAs E145s.

I fly this route very frequently, and I can't recall a flight that was not full. RJ or mainline. I have often seen oversold situations on even mainline flights.

How can UA possibly justify this kind of service out of one of their fortress hubs on such a very heavily traveled route? Connecting and IAH-based loyal MP Premiers are really getting screwed on options in this case. The CRJ700s were bad enough, but this is over-the-top.

I've been very patient through the merger pains, and I've found UA to be "less bad" than many others who post regularly here, but his is such a critical connection point for me that I'm at a loss as to what to do.

If this doesn't change, I'm going to seriously consider other options. Having to go through IAH to get to Dallas, this is not the way I want to finish a long day of flying. UAs RJ fever has finally affected me personally, and I'm joining the bandwagon that says, "Enough already!"
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I booked a flight in July to fly MDE-BOG-IAH-DFW on January 19/20, 2014, and immediately applied a mileage upgrade which was confirmed. The BOG-IAH is a red-eye, and I specifically booked a longer than necessary connection in IAH so I could have an upgradeable aircraft for the final leg. My thought was that I would sleep on the red-eye, then shower and make some phone calls from the club before continuing on to Dallas.

Checking my flight schedules this morning, I see that a change was made to that final leg which went from a CRJ700 to an ERJ145. When looking for other options, I see that there are zero flights prior to 4:58 PM on any aircraft other than E145s. I checked other days, and they're all the same, so I can't benefit from moving it up or down in my date of travel.

In contrast, AA has 5 mainline flights to DFW starting at 7:30 AM which depart before UAX's 4:58 PM E170. For Houston-based pax, even WN would be a major upgrade compared to UAs E145s.

I fly this route very frequently, and I can't recall a flight that was not full. RJ or mainline. I have often seen oversold situations on even mainline flights.

How can UA possibly justify this kind of service out of one of their fortress hubs on such a very heavily traveled route? Connecting and IAH-based loyal MP Premiers are really getting screwed on options in this case. The CRJ700s were bad enough, but this is over-the-top.

I've been very patient through the merger pains, and I've found UA to be "less bad" than many others who post regularly here, but his is such a critical connection point for me that I'm at a loss as to what to do.

If this doesn't change, I'm going to seriously consider other options. Having to go through IAH to get to Dallas, this is not the way I want to finish a long day of flying. UAs RJ fever has finally affected me personally, and I'm joining the bandwagon that says, "Enough already!"
Isn't it like a 45 minute flight? In fact, you should be happy to get the E145. EWR-DCA is a similar distance and one can frequently end up on a prop jet on a 6 PM departure.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AS 100K

UA's RJ madness is a big reason I switched to AA. One mainline flight per day out of CLT to ORD, out of the five hubs it flies to ex-CLT. AA? Every flight into and out of DFW is mainline and with excellent frequency compared to UA. I swear if I have to do another 2.5 hour E145 down to IAH, I'll shoot myself.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Isn't it like a 45 minute flight? In fact, you should be happy to get the E145. EWR-DCA is a similar distance and one can frequently end up on a prop jet on a 6 PM departure.
It's only a 1 hr 14 min flight. 224 Miles. Which probably means it's really about 45 minutes in the air. For such a short flight, I don't think that a switch to an EMB145 is all that much of a loss. It's just barely long enough to get you a "Warmed, all-natural breakfast scone" and you'd probably only end up getting your PDB and 1 other drink during the service in F.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Using Friday's schedule as an example:
Code:
 carrier | operated | flights | block_hours | seat_hours 
---------+----------+---------+-------------+------------
 AA      | mainline |    1902 |        6216 |    1063485
 AA      | express  |    1718 |        2719 |     140387
 DL      | mainline |    2511 |        7676 |    1433825
 DL      | express  |    2997 |        5114 |     312770
 UA      | mainline |    1901 |        7741 |    1375438
 UA      | express  |    3774 |        6360 |     341983
 US      | mainline |    1298 |        3471 |     568821
 US      | express  |    1877 |        2691 |     165474
Here's domestic flights only:
Code:
 carrier | operated | flights | block_hours | seat_hours 
---------+----------+---------+-------------+------------
 AA      | mainline |    1502 |        4204 |     645127
 AA      | express  |    1584 |        2492 |     128656
 DL      | mainline |    2180 |        5361 |     883780
 DL      | express  |    2840 |        4795 |     292859
 UA      | mainline |    1474 |        4849 |     738231
 UA      | express  |    3417 |        5636 |     302210
 US      | mainline |    1196 |        2886 |     441994
 US      | express  |    1762 |        2506 |     155175
Using seat hours as a proxy for seat miles out of convenience; slightly overstates the express flying due to the shorter flights with longer block times, but better reflects the amount of time spent butt-in-seat.

Last edited by mduell; Oct 12, 2013 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by fjfv19
I admit it sounds petty. Ending a long night of flying, starting at 8:55 PM in Medellin to get to Bogota before waiting 3 hours for the connection where I'll have to clear international security and immigration departure, then spending 6+ hours at IAH, I just wanted to have a reasonably comfortable seat for the last 1:2X minutes inside of a plane. The absence of one reasonable option to do so shocked my socks off.

In addition to that one day, it is alarming that every time I want to go to Dallas (at least once/month) I will have to always connect to an E145 unless I'm flying late in the day. It may be tolerable every now and then, but the idea of ending almost every trip to Dallas that way, plus starting almost every departure from Dallas the same way, well... It isn't exactly what I'll be looking forward to, I'll put it that way.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA seems to be the "leader". And it's with the worst overall set of RJs to boot.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
UA seems to be the "leader". And it's with the worst overall set of RJs to boot.
Indeed. I try hard, but I can't avoid the CRJ200s all the time. At least on a CRJ700 I almost always clear or buy the UG, so I have room for me and my feet.

UA has many advantages for my personal travel habits. Mainly, their affiliation with Copa, and their reasonable redemption rates on Avianca. Those are admittedly huge factors for me.

I really dislike AA, and I really dislike intl. arrivals at MIA, but the thought of one mainline hop from MDE to MIA, then one mainline connection from MIA to DFW does have some strong appeal.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu

Giving it further thought, I'm hoping that these are temporary placeholders until they can rearrange their schedules to return something better to the schedule. It is still 90 days away. I'm not going to accept the change for at least another 30 days. Maybe more.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
United's Reliance on CRJs

I just don't get United's love affair with CRJs. I'm based in DEN and you can't get to anywhere it seems in the Mississippi/Ohio valley with out getting stuck in a CRJ. F9 flies 320s, WN flies 737s to STL, DAY, CVG, SDF, BNA, IND from DEN and MDW.

I've heard the argument the the CRJs mean more flights, but that doesn't seem to be true since other carriers will have often the same number of flights with bigger gear.

I thought maybe it was to keep ORD a hub for the midwest, but to get from ORD to these destinations means getting on a CRJ.

On an ancillary issue, why do they seem to drag CRJ aircraft all over the place during the day? When ever I talk to a CRJ crew they usually have been dragged all over the midwest and north east, almost guaranteeing that they will get delayed at some point. It seems that if there is a hiccup somewhere in the system, the CRJs get all out of sorts.

Are their any articles published where they talk about this strategy in a rational way?

I was on one of the new bigger RJs that actually have usable OHB on a DEN-PIT flight- is that one of the new C-series? It was still 2+2. Are these going to become more common? 3 hours in a CRJ or ERJ just ends up being brutal.

All this CRJ silliness reminds me of the early 2000s when I was based in CVG and Delta ran those CRJs hard everywhere like a Chinese fire drill. That didn't work out in the long run.

I'm not a gear head, but these planes are cramped- you often can't put your feet flat on the floor due to the curve of the cabin sidewall. The seats are smaller- like the size of the passenger varies with the size of plane? No entertainment system, very limited services. They should call it three-quarters class, not First Class when its available. God love the pilots, but from what I've heard from other pilots doesn't give me warm and fuzzies about their level of experience.

I know someone will say that we're lucky they aren't prop jobs, but that doesn't square with the original intent of these RJ aircraft versus how they are used today and the fact that other providers fly full service gear.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If you want to fly UA, you either need to move or get used to it as it is highly unlikely DEN will get much mainline capacity back. With WN there and UA's relative shortage of mainline equipment, it is just not going to happen. You are lucky though as you have plenty of mainline flights on other carriers.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Well the good news is that pilots contract encourages UA to move away from 50 seater RJs. With $100 oil, they don't make much sense. The bad news is that among all USA airlines, UA is in the worst position with respect to moving away from 50 seaters. This likely contributes to why UA trails other airlines in profitability.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If you want to fly UA, you either need to move or get used to it as it is highly unlikely DEN will get much mainline capacity back. With WN there and UA's relative shortage of mainline equipment, it is just not going to happen. You are lucky though as you have plenty of mainline flights on other carriers.

Well DEN eventually has to get the mainline to 50 seat ratio increased or the mainline pilots will strike to enforce the contract. But the contract is structured so that UA can drag its feet for a long time.

Investors are going to pressure UA to reduce the use of 50 seaters, and I suspect that result will be that UA simply cuts routes to make Wall Street and the pilots happy versus adding more mainline.

Good thing UA's investments in the concourse B extensions for UX were of mobile home construction quality, so that when/if gates 61 and higher are abandoned, UA won't have spent much.

The same cannot be said for ORD; that new UC looks like a white elephant.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 8, 2014 at 7:56 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't worry about loads, look at yields / PRASM.

UA isn't really competing with WN for O&D traffic xDEN. It corners the market at DEN for transit, particularly international and that makes lots of smaller aircraft selling high-priced seats a better strategy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.