Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lack of ua mainline flights; Does united have more regional jets than other carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of ua mainline flights; Does united have more regional jets than other carriers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by belynch
Proportionally the worst is US.

346 mainline, 285 express.
119 of those Express being the dreaded "Canada's revenge" CR2/CL65.

The best? WN.
Having spent many a day suffering through the 35A experience at DCA, I can vouch for this. US has found a way to make the CTT (Canadian Torture Tube) experience that much worse. Give me 12A on an E45 any day over that.

Interestingly, save for my IAD-STL CR7 flight later this week, I can't recall the last time one of my UA flights wasn't mainline. I guess there is an upside to mainly flying IAD-LAX and DCA-ORD.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Turns out DL and UA are both "RJ airlines."

AA - 609 mainline, 244 American Eagle
DL - 714 mainline, 568 regionals
UA - 708 mainline, 552 regionals
Of the regionals count, for AA the now-revised scope clause kept the 2-class RJ count to 47 CR7s of that 244.

Of Delta's 568 regionals, fully 255 are 2-class CR7/CR9/E70/E75.

What's the breakout for UA's 552?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is the life we live in. People want 13 flights a day to every city. I would take half on a mainline aircraft and I don't think I'm alone. CMH had a huge UA presense but like everything else in the Midwest, WN has taken customers away. I can fly into CMH early Morning from Chicago and leave late evening on WN back to Chicago. WN has the best schedule for a Chicago Business Person. Early morning flights out and late evening flights back to mostly every major city. Soon they will expand DSM, and that will cover every midwest city I need. UA is only now used on flights West of DEN for me. And again, I'm not alone, every flight I'm on, I meet a new WN flyer former UA Gold or 1K.

Also, before someone adds the frequency thing, WN matches or comes close to matching most of UA's frequencies in the Midwest from Chicago.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
This is the life we live in.

And again, I'm not alone, every flight I'm on, I meet a new WN flyer former UA Gold or 1K.

Also, before someone adds the frequency thing, WN matches or comes close to matching most of UA's frequencies in the Midwest from Chicago.
Unfortunately, I agree with you on all points.

However, WN does not ALWAYS have the best fares.

I just wish WN had reserved seating. I know! They tested it and decided not to do this. Too bad. If they did, everyone who flies to major cities might move to WN for good! I know that I would.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'll add my 2 cents: I'm writing this from aboard an AA B757 between MIA & ORD. I just enjoyed a nice meal, hot nuts, warm cookie, served on china, and, of course, wi-fi. On UA, I'd be flying on an RJ with a snack box. Yeah, I'm happy with my decision.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
Unfortunately, I agree with you on all points.

However, WN does not ALWAYS have the best fares.

I just wish WN had reserved seating. I know! They tested it and decided not to do this. Too bad. If they did, everyone who flies to major cities might move to WN for good! I know that I would.
Ya its amazing that WN was the cheapest in the past but now they are equal or more if purchased last minute. I usually do BS fares and usually get row 1 with a drink. It feels like UA. Usually I'll get another free drink on the house just by being nice.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Apples and oranges, though.

DL's RJs are more likely to have First.

And on top of that, the DL RJ experience is superior. When they have First, there are more First (9-12 on DL vs. 6 on UA). They use glassware, tray linenes, meals served on proper plates with utensils, etc. There's a pillow and blanket on each seat. And sometimes there's WiFi.
And a lav up front. I flew SFO-DFW round trips a lot last year, and back before the AA status match I was exclusively on UA CR7s. Awfully long flight for 1 bathroom and minimal service.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
The other issue now that United has merged with CO the use of Prop planes on routes that never saw them before. The props are awful and you don;t see American and Delta using them like United. IN Denver you may have to fly on a prop to places like OKC, MCI, or OMA. This never happened to cities like this for years until Continental and its poor service standards came to take over United.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
The other issue now that United has merged with CO the use of Prop planes on routes that never saw them before. The props are awful and you don;t see American and Delta using them like United. IN Denver you may have to fly on a prop to places like OKC, MCI, or OMA. This never happened to cities like this for years until Continental and its poor service standards came to take over United.
I presume you mean the brand-new Q400s? In many cases UA has upgraded from E145s to these. Significant improvement IMO.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by star_world
I presume you mean the brand-new Q400s? In many cases UA has upgraded from E145s to these. Significant improvement IMO.
Not in terms of reliability.

And comfort seems about the same if you don't have F. What am I missing?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
And Significant cancellation ratio as well.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
When I plan a trip I look at RJ segments and lengths of flight. I am not price sensitive. I am not the only one I know who cares about this stuff. I refuse to sit on an UNITED RJ for 3 and 4 hours in their current state of service. Delta gets it, and AA has indicated they get it as well. UNITED can do what it thinks is best, and so will I.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Not in terms of reliability.

And comfort seems about the same if you don't have F. What am I missing?
or in general cabin ambience (or lack thereof in front of the props - holy cow those are deafening)
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:11 pm

Brand new does not mean reliable. Have you seen the complaints from DEN based flyers about these things? What about the poor people in MCI, who now have to deal with unreliable aircraft on the DEN run? How can you justify "significant improvement"? UA took the 319's away on MCI-DEN flights and gave the people what they wanted, more Q's. That how you would spin it..
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Brand new does not mean reliable. Have you seen the complaints from DEN based flyers about these things? What about the poor people in MCI, who now have to deal with unreliable aircraft on the DEN run? How can you justify "significant improvement"? UA took the 319's away on MCI-DEN flights and gave the people what they wanted, more Q's. That how you would spin it..
I'm not spinning anything. I've spent hundreds of hours crammed into E145s and almost as many in Q400s - give me the Q400 any day. I'm saying they are a net upgrade in comfort compared to the older RJs that UA and CO were operating. Nothing to do with A319s. And compared to the E145 they absolutely are a "significant improvement" - they are more spacious, they can take larger carry-on bags, and they have an F cabin.

I don't believe the aircraft are unreliable so much as the operator is unreliable. The comment I was responding to was related to how UA was taking a step backwards and putting "prop planes" on routes - that in itself isn't a negative. But perhaps they need (another) more reliable operator to improve the dispatch rate and overall reliability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.