Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New premiere member and qualifying premiere bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm new to MP. I average about 50,000 miles/year. I don't live in the US and mostly fly other *A airlines. I understand that to qualify for UA Premiere membership, you need to fly at least 4 flight segments on UA metal.

My question is if I fly 50,000 miles on other *A airlines first and then subsequently fly the 4 UA flight segments. Will I still get the premiere bonus
on the 50,000 miles previously flown? Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.755 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AFAIK, no. You won't be elite until the 4 segments also happen, in addition to the 50k PQMs. You also don't normally get retroactive bonus RDMs for flights taken before you become elite so it would only be the flights between 25-50k which would potentially earn those bonus RDMs, and they are only on a few partners so depending on who you are flying they may not happen anyways.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You don't start getting bonus RDMs until after you reach a particular status. You will not qualify for silver or gold status until after you have flown 4 segments, at which point if you've reached 25k (or 50k) miles, you will start to receive the applicable (25% or 50%) miles bonus.

So, for the first 25k miles it doesn't really matter. At that point, you would need to fly 4 segments to have silver status, and start getting those benefits.

All of this assumes you are crediting your *A flights to MP.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You don't earn any bonus on miles flown before fully earning Premier status. You don't earn any bonus on most partners.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

No. You only receive bonus miles after you become a premier. Even if you flew 50,000 miles on UA, you'd begin receiving the silver bonus after you fly 25,000, and gold bonus after you fly 50,000.

Since you won't become a premier until you fly 4 UA segments, no bonus until after that. You can fly 300,000 miles on LH, but still won't see any premier bonus - until you complete the UA-operated flight requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.