Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a method to the upgrade seating algorithm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GroundStop
Don't think I've ever received a notification of a CPU clearing
Check your email preferences.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The checkerboard pattern makes this particularly odd -- I've seen families checkerboard-ed across F.
So are you saying that the example I provided is 'odd', or that the result of the algorithm results in odd seating for families? I would agree with the latter. That's my point.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hobo13
So are you saying that the example I provided is 'odd', or that the result of the algorithm results in odd seating for families? I would agree with the latter. That's my point.
The latter
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Interesting...when I get an advance CPU, ice found that I am always seated per my aisle preference assuming there is one and it assigns a seat at all.

There have also been a handful of times when I get the email saying seats will be assigned at the airport, I go online to select a seat, and it doesn't take, because apparently it decided to assign a different seat just ehen I went to select one. I find this very odd behavior.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
You are wrong on the last part - they absolutely do clear standbys into E- now by default as part of the automated process. See for yourself next time you're standing at a gate with some time to spare. This might have been true at some time in the past but it's not true now. You can either look at the cleared standbys screen, or the seatmap itself.
SHARES clears NRSA starting in the E+ cabin based on seniority. They absolutely do not clear them into E-.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reason: Edited to remove snark
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Check your email preferences.
Like many, I of course have this box checked, and like many, I pretty much never get these e-mails (maybe ~10% of the time, best guess, since 3/3). PMUA wasn't perfect with this, but I was well over 50% in getting the notices.

Note that I went 2/2 last week on AA w/T-100 UGs and UG emails like clockwork though...somehow they've figured it out
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tuolumne
You're *absolutely* wrong, and have little idea what you're talking about.

SHARES clears NRSA starting in the E+ cabin based on seniority. They absolutely do not clear them into E-.
And then read my post - I'm not talking about NRSAs, nor do I care about them. Of course NRSAs go into E+. I'm talking about revenue passengers on standby.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm Reason: quote/response thereto
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've never cleared CPU without an email.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by channa
Sort of. CPU processes in a checkerboard:

1A, 1E
2B, 2F
3A, 3E

and so on.

At the gate, all standby lists are cleared front to back with no regard to preference or E+, IME. So First will fill up straight front to back, left to right.
This seems to mesh exactly with what I've been seeing. Not that I clear CPUs at the 1K window much anymore, but when I do it always seems to throw me into row 1 which I really don't like because I'm not a fan of FC bulkhead seats with restricted legroom.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
although spotty right after the merger, i have been receiving my upgrade emails about 20-30 minutes after the upgrade window opens (for the flights i have cleared - which has been the majority in 2013)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by star_world

And then read my post - I'm not talking about NRSAs, nor do I care about them. Of course NRSAs go into E+. I'm talking about revenue passengers on standby.
Depends on your status

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm Reason: quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tuolumne
You're *absolutely* wrong, and have little idea what you're talking about.

To be fair, SHARES used to process NRSA from back to front, which means junior employees would get the best seats.

Thankfully this was reprogrammed in mid to late 2012.

I still prefer how legacy UA agents usually clear NRSA - one by one at the podium, and letting you know what seats are open.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm Reason: quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boat9781
I've never cleared CPU without an email.
And despite having it checked in my profile, I can't remember ever getting an email when a CPU cleared. Only time I have ever gotten an email is when a waitlisted (RPU/Award) segment cleared before the CPU window.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hobo13
This is actually a difference between United and PMUA. PMUA didn't use to assign seats when a UDU cleared. You had to log in and do it. But now that there is an algorithm (front to back) that does it, two 1K companions travelling together on different locators have a much harder time of getting seats together because even if you log in right away after a sweep, the algorithm has already put pax in seats, and thus the cement has set.
I agree 100%.

And while this really is a first world problem, this has become the hardest thing to acquire in this day in age of CPUs and especially ToD upgrades - two seats together.

My wife and I fly a lot and now that we have a baby, it isn't easy to be worrying about the baby+supplies and then ask folks if they don't mind swapping out seats, since it seems that if my CPU clears as a 1K, there are no other seats at all to select from.

I really really miss PMUA's way of doing this - I could *always* get two seats together, since I was active and *knew* when my upgrade would go through, since NF space was visible!

Wow, what a thought - systems that actually worked and were predictable...oh wait, Jeffy Jeff wouldn't make enough cash to fill his pockets with, if he did that!

-jeremy
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmfdm91

My wife and I fly a lot and now that we have a baby
And THIS is exactly our situation.

On the other hand, I have yet to find anyone who refuses to swap seats considering their alternative is to sit next to a baby, LOL!

Interestingly, we went from being a 6A/6B couple on a 757 to a 1A/1B couple after kids. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to get the F bulkhead anymore because the CO algorithm auto-fills that row, whereas PMUA assumed (rightly so) that the F bulkhead was the least desirable seats in the cabin and thus the bulkhead seats often were available right up until the finally UGers were cleared at the gate.

And yes, it is truly a FirstWorldProblem..... and for sure, don't even THINK about complaining about it to any of your other parent friends! It's also not a topic that usually comes up on the MommyBlogs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.