Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United cancels reservation, ruins anniversary trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United cancels reservation, ruins anniversary trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Numerous threads about this on DL too. Regretably, there are two ways to avoid this problem in IRROPS:

1. Confirm w. whoever physically issues the new BP's that the remainder of the itinerary is properly intact and ask for a physical print out (even if you toss it).
2. Call in upon arrival to confirm that the remainder of the itinerary is intact.

Should you need to do this? No. Should you? Yes.

Once seats are "gone" they are gone.
This is the best advice period. You shouldnt "Have Too" but you better.

I always double & triple check my reservations, especially after irrops. If you don't, you are inviting problems that could have been more correctable days earlier

Last edited by ilovesprint; Apr 15, 2013 at 7:19 am Reason: edit
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
I had the rest of my PNR disappear after a rebooking of a misconnect last month. Not sure why they struggle with rebookings so much, but they do. I do want to say, unlike the original poster who had a tough time, mine was handled very well.

I noticed the PNR was gone about 36 hours before my return flight. Called the line, and since I was in a noisy restaurant, the voice recognition couldn't understand me, so I got routed to a general agent. He rebooked the flight. When I asked for a seat, my aisle in E- was gone, and only middles were left. I asked to be placed in E+, and he first told me he was going to charge me. I explained (politely) that in 12 hours I could put myself in E+ for free, and since my aisle seat was lost due to United's error, I would think he could put me in E+ for free now, 12 hours ahead. He did so without further hesitation.

All in all took about 5 minutes (plus 10 minutes getting through the voice prompts. very frustrating when they can't understand you and don't even want to put you through an agent because he can't understand the word "yes" for domestic).

So United can handle this well. Sorry it wasn't for the OP and others. Now they need to figure out why they can't rebook people without issues.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
One piece of advice - always watch reservations, especially in case of IRROPs.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mherdeg
What I always wonder about when people say this is as follows:

* If your expected number of terrible travel experiences is about 1 per 100 tickets flown,
* And you switch carriers and mark the old one as "dead to you" after one terrible travel experience,
* And you buy about 50 tickets for yourself per year,
* What happens after about year 10, when expectation says that you have abandoned every major US carrier? Do you stop travelling? Fly private? Cycle back to the carrier you abandoned after bad experience #1 and hope they've changed?
I have always wondered this too. People say they have flown so much for so many years on a given airline, then have one bad experience and vow to never (or hardly ever) fly that airline again. Hey, if you give any company enough business, at some point you are going to have an off experience. No company is perfect, especially in a complex industry like aviation; something bad *will* happen at some point.

This is not to take away from the OP's experience, which sounds very frustrating. But if this is just one out of many trips over many years that went particularly sour, mabe it is better to take a big-picture view.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Happened to me a few times... it really is unbelievable that this garbage is still going on. I find it a bit humorous, however, that some fans accept this level of mediocrity as the new norm.

Good luck with that.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i completely agree. i've had issues myself like this last week at IAD due to the storms in the NYC area.
This, combined with the OP's message is interesting. My travel last week was round trip ORD-LGA out Wednesday, returning Friday. Got hit with major IROPS on Wed due to the weather, rebooked on 4 flights throughout the day due to cancellations. Somewhere along the way, my itinerary just went "poof" due to agent error with SHARES. Return trip cancelled out, seat assignments lost, the whole deal.

Fortunately, I was watching closely and able to hop on resolutions quickly when things slipped off the rails. Didn't get original seats, but for the most part found equivalents.

Still, it was disturbing in practice to watch. I'm guessing that it has something to do with legacy UA agents needing to manipulate SHARES, but I will say I went through lots of irregular ops in the pmUA days and never recall having entire itineraries dropped / eliminated.

Too bad to hear that this may not be as isolated as I thought. Note for all of us though: as soon as the rebookings begin, probably worth hopping on .bomb to make sure that everything is intact.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Having to sit apart (and one in Y) on the return portion of the vacation ruined the trip?

No doubt the reservation got screwed up when the initial change was made. Good thing that never happens on other airlines. Ever.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't think you'd be so snide if this was *your* anniversary trip
What happened:

A) UA got OP and wife to SFO - albeit delayed

B) OP and wife presumably enjoyed several days of planned activities in SFO during trip

C) UA royally screwed up OP's rebooking and caused major inconvenience on his return flight.

Did C affect A and B? No - ergo, the trip was not ruined (in my book). Did UA screw up: yes.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1P
Instead of buying a whole new first class seat on American, why didn't you just take the buy-up for $249 and ask United to reimburse you?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Confirm w. whoever physically issues the new BP's that the remainder of the itinerary is properly intact and ask for a physical print out (even if you toss it).
this. so much this. even when i expect things to go smoothly, i never ever go anymore without a paper boarding pass. in those cases when things go awry, at the very least you have something tangible you can point to so you can prove at some point you were supposed to be on that plane.

last week even though it was well past midnight i chose to stick it out for another hour or so to get an agent to print out a physical BP. i was on the phone and was rebooked in minutes, but of course the reservation couldn't be cleaned up remotely (big surprise there) so i couldn't print it out as a kiosk. it paid off as a lot of people had flights canceled and seats switched so of course their BP's disappeared off their mobile app. it was pretty awful. their irrops recovery is terrible.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't think you'd be so snide if this was *your* anniversary trip
Sure I would.

I'd be annoyed, frustrated and all sorts of pissed. But I'd also know that I was getting home, that I'd be able to deal with the fall-out later and that there is no way being rebooked back on to the same flight, albeit without the upgrade, would ruin a vacation for me. Maybe that's because I've flown enough on enough different airlines to know that things sometimes go wrong and the agents do what they can to put them back right when that happens. Comes from living in the real world and knowing that no one is perfect and that they are rarely malicious. Mistakes get made, they get resolved and life goes on.
Originally Posted by mitchmu
And, are you really, truly, suggesting that COdbaUA is just like other airlines?
Yes, because by and large they are. The range of actual difference between "most hated" and "least hated" airline is virtually nil.

UA screwed up. That's quite clear. And then they did what they could to fix the situation. Perfect? Absolutely not. But if this is what makes a customer never fly airline XYZ again then pretty soon they're going to be spending a lot of time in trains, cars and boats.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
If you want to fly United, you really need to be familiar with their quirks of their system.

SHARES is extremely ruthless about cancelling flight if you no-show a segment. So when you get rebooked, if they leave anything you're not using in there, and there are segments below it in the record, those segments are in jeopardy.

I always audit my record after any change. I can't tell you how many times I've loaded up my record while walking away and have have had to call the 1K desk to clean it up to my satisfaction simply to avoid the situation you described.

As for getting you on the flight, they can do a lot more than they did for you. They can always force you into First and oversell it. I would have pushed for that as a remedy since you were confirmed in First already.

Then they can bump someone (or you) down and compensate them if everyone checks in, or they'll end up being okay if someone cancels.
Ive had it where I was protected on a later flight but ended up flying on my original flight. Went to check in for my Return, no res,yep Shares KOed it since I didnt fly on the protected flight.Got lucky the rep I got was PMUA so she was able to get my flights back and gave me the last seat left in F, pity #1 on the WL who probably thought F was theirs as a slam dunk
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LTBoston
Instead of buying a whole new first class seat on American, why didn't you just take the buy-up for $249 and ask United to reimburse you?
+1 to this, Im sure it was cheaper than buying a new last minute F ticket on AA. Plus be on the same flight as the wife.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Having to sit apart (and one in Y) on the return portion of the vacation ruined the trip?
If you think this was the problem, then obviously you didn't read the entire OP...but I think this is pointed out above.

No doubt the reservation got screwed up when the initial change was made. Good thing that never happens on other airlines. Ever.
Roll out of the bed on the wrong side today, did we?

So we can only fault UA for doing X if and only if no other airline has ever done X?

This isn't that complicated: UA used to take care of 1Ks, but now it doesn't.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One piece of advice - always watch reservations, especially in case of IRROPs.
I used to be willing to go along with this. I looked at my "relationship" with UA from a bigger perspective. Yes, they blew it big time every once in a while (and no, I'm not talking about malfunctioning audio jacks), but I had confidence that they'd make things right in the end. A handful of bad UA frontline apples was more than made up for by the terrific frontline people who went above and beyond to help me get to where I needed to be. Part of that "relationship" was my willingness to watch my itins like a hawk, as if somehow it was my responsibility to make sure UA didn't summarily delete my return flights, cancel my seat assignments, or otherwise muck things up. It all evened out. Alas, things are different now.

It may very well be the case that any airline at some point is going to stick it to me like it got stuck to the OP, but in that case, what's the point of being a 1K?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:09 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craz
...pity #1 on the WL who probably thought F was theirs as a slam dunk
I don't think anyone thinks F is a slam dunk these days! I could be #1 on the list with 8 seats left, 16 minutes before departure, and I wouldn't think it's a slam dunk.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:11 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The big problem here is COdbaUA's aggressive cancellation of downline segments when the system erroneously believes the first one to have been missed.

Yes, every carrier will cancel an itin if you skip flights (to help prevent hidden city ticketing, for one thing). However, on PMUA, either the systems were better at recognizing the pax had actually traveled albeit on different flights, or else waited to cancel the return trip for much longer.

This is a common and frustrating problem with UA's systems these days. Instead of fixing it, though, they're off clawing back miles they posted in error 13 months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.