Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it Possible to Book an Award Ticket from Hawaii to Europe/Asia via "the Long Way"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it Possible to Book an Award Ticket from Hawaii to Europe/Asia via "the Long Way"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I just had the opposite experience, and booked Hawaii to Asia via Europe.

I was poking around looking for HNL-DEL in business and was surprised that united.com returned a HNL-SFO-MUC-DEL routing. For the return I got DEL-BKK-ICN-HNL. A round the world trip in business for 120,000 miles, which I'm guessing is not bad.

And I get to see the ताज महल, woohoo.
I think you may have had an easier time because India is its own separate region for *A awards.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by BarScheeze
I am now awaiting a call back in seven hours from the same agent after she "look[s] it over with [her] supervisor."
No deal. The agent said I must take the next available connecting flight out of PEK, as any extending layover there would amount to a stopover, which I've already used. This is the same answer I received from a previous agent, but after much less work on her part. I'm tapping out.

Got to keep my Hawaii-Europe-Asia-Hawaii routing, though.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Keep watching for LX out of LAX, it does open up occasionally. Also consider SFO-LHR on the UA 744. Depending on when you're flying, you might be able to get a 764 with lie-flats or three class 772 from HNL-SFO.
Got a LX business class seat ex-SFO cleared midweek beg of Oct. Had been looking for it for about a month. They do occasionally show up.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by BarScheeze
No deal. The agent said I must take the next available connecting flight out of PEK, as any extending layover there would amount to a stopover, which I've already used. This is the same answer I received from a previous agent, but after much less work on her part. I'm tapping out.
Well, I don't think it's a correct answer. An international connection is not considered a stopover if it's less than 24 hours (4 hours for domestic). The rule about taking the next available flight is applicable when there is no flight within the window. That rule primarily is triggered on overnight connections domestically.

Nonetheless, guess there's no point in fighting it.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: A3*S, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, BWR Diamond
United : HNL->Europe->Asia

I know that flying from US to Asia via Europe is permitted
Is it possible to fly from HNL to Asia via Europe ?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by larchens
I know that flying from US to Asia via Europe is permitted
Is it possible to fly from HNL to Asia via Europe ?
Why not as long as you are willing to pay?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lax2010
Why not as long as you are willing to pay?
I think the question is whether it is permitted as part of an award and I believe the answer is no.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I think the question is whether it is permitted as part of an award and I believe the answer is no.
It might be permitted as part of an award, but it will certainly cost additional miles. For these cases I'm never totally clear on whether it's the price of Hawaii-N. America plus N. America-Asia or something less than that. I can't find it now, but I recall another thread where there was some additional mileage increment for transiting another zone, but it wasn't quite two separate reward prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.