Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA reports highest increase in revenue per passenger mile flown in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA reports highest increase in revenue per passenger mile flown in March

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Of course this is good news for UA and anyone that says otherwise is in denial. The reason so many have tried to qualify this is good news for UA equals bad news for customers. If UA could show such positive numbers while having the most complaints if any airline, while treating their customers like crap, while destroying Mileage Plus simply means that Smisek is right & we are wrong - he does not need to make us happy to make money. I'm sure many here are like me and wished for UA to keep losing money until they reversed their policy of taking everything away from Elites but that ain't gonna happen and I only suspect UA's numbers have no where to go but up from here
Maximizing profits for one year does not necessarily maximize them for 20 years....

But maximizing profits for one year does insure a higher personal bonus for that year.... @:-)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
fastair, how dare you let facts get in the way of FTers complaints? Sure, what you say is true, and pretty much of every US company, if not around the world. But why should this stand in the way of those that apparently can't see the good in anything?
Like I said before, this is good news at the moment but doesn't say too much. The general trend is not encouraging either. If they have to shrink capacity (and continue to shrink capacity) to get these PRASM numbers then we won't have an airline left at the end (or atleast one that will get me where I want to go). Once capacity remains unchanged (or increases) and PRASM improves, that will be a good sign for things to come.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You miss the big picture with your comment - most of us still fly the airline, but we're no longer blindly loyal to it, and have had our eyes opened by better experiences elsewhere.
In the spirit of big picture - I saw this article at work around 9am Hawaii time and couldn't post it because of work - I can't be the only FT who saw it - and was surprised 12 hours later nobody posted it when I got home - had this been bad news - it would have been posted within 5 minutes of the release. It isn't just a UA thing - way to many threads in other forums always want to focus on the negative.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Much of the debate since 3/12 was whether UACO would be irreparably damaged by the defections of the self-anointed "elites" and "HVFs" on this board. I agree that the March YOY increase is deceiving given such a poor performance last year, but it is not deceptive on UA's part--reported numbers are reported numbers, and everyone is free to spin them however they want. Moreover, the rebound shows that the minority among us who scoffed at all the "HVF" bluster were right (at least for now ). If these numbers hold up over time, AA's status match of 1K/GS last year just might be their best gift to Smisek.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Capacity cuts have been so large that this really means nothing
Except all the other majors have cut capacity at the same rate or at an even greater rate than UA, yet saw no uptick in unit revenue.

But don't let facts get in the way of the daily two minute Smisek hate

If they have to shrink capacity (and continue to shrink capacity) to get these PRASM numbers then we won't have an airline left at the end (or atleast one that will get me where I want to go). Once capacity remains unchanged (or increases) and PRASM improves, that will be a good sign for things to come.
All the majors shed about 1-1.5% capacity last year. Delta is planning on cutting another 2-3% capacity this year, who knows what AA and US will do given the merger but almost certainly "fleet redundancies" will be found, while UA is only planning on cutting capacity by about 0.5% this year.

Capacity cuts are a red herring - UA is doing it the least among the majors.

Last edited by andrewwm; Apr 10, 2013 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
In an alternate universe, after the merger the (different) leadership team realized the value of customer loyalty, realized it was best to keep a best-in-class program to attract flyers from OALs (in addition to retaining their own), etc. They also kept the more robust, developed compuster system. Yet given their (temporary) status as the biggest airline in the world, somewhat stabilized oil prices, general industry consolidation, etc. they were able to stay true to their shareholders and "get their business stuff together".

Not too tough to believe.
Instead of 'in an alternate universe', you should start this with "If UA-NYC ran the world".

I'd like to think that if they had followed your strategy, it would have led to happier customers and greater success... But we'll never know. Perhaps Parker will read your post and take notes and execute the USAA merger according to your (and most FF'ers) wishes!

Of course this is good news for UA and anyone that says otherwise is in denial. The reason so many have tried to qualify this is good news for UA equals bad news for customers. If UA could show such positive numbers while having the most complaints if any airline, while treating their customers like crap, while destroying Mileage Plus simply means that Smisek is right & we are wrong - he does not need to make us happy to make money. I'm sure many here are like me and wished for UA to keep losing money until they reversed their policy of taking everything away from Elites but that ain't gonna happen and I only suspect UA's numbers have no where to go but up from here
Agree with your post. UA (and DL and USAA and etc.) good financial news in this new age of flying means bad news (in general) for Frequent Fliers... (Bad news on differentiated treatment of HVF's, superior 1K / GS experience, the elite experience in general. And if 80% on time percentage is deemed 'good enough', and customers don't run for the exits, then this is what our experience will look like going forward. We'll see.)

As you say: If they can make more money without focusing on elite / customer satisfaction, then we all should be concerned!

...and I only suspect UA's numbers have no where to go but up from here
Whoa, now you are getting crazy!

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Parallel reality? I get the strong sense you like to disagree for the sake of being disagreeable. You've been repeatedly explained to why this is not as large a deal as I'm sure you'd like it to be (atypical month in 2012, a short term strategy of cutting ones way to PRASM gains) and you're still droning on, attempting to play down those who are throwing a little bit of truth in your face. The FT consensus you seem to have such contention with here were actually right in their forecasts of a revenue drop off - the sycophants who carried water for the company were wrong at every turn.
Of course this is good news for UA and anyone that says otherwise is in denial.

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I don't think any reasonable person argues that they were headed to demise because of the factors you listed. The size and momentum is powerful. What we can't measure is the opportunity cost. The question isn't if Smisek was right or wrong as measured by UA's survival or demise. The question is, how much value has he destroyed, and how much more could UA be worth if he didn't adopt an anti-customer platform.
When UA-NYC runs the world, I am sure you will be on their Board of Directors!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Except all the other majors have cut capacity at the same rate or at an even greater rate than UA, yet saw no uptick in unit revenue.

But don't let facts get in the way of the daily two minute Smisek hate

All the majors shed about 1-1.5% capacity last year. Delta is planning on cutting another 2-3% capacity this year, who knows what AA and US will do given the merger but almost certainly "fleet redundancies" will be found, while UA is only planning on cutting capacity by about 0.5% this year.

Capacity cuts are a red herring - UA is doing it the least among the majors.
Except that you completely missed the fact that his whole thread is about March 2013 when UA cut capacity by 5%---far more than any other US carrier. Given that March 2012 capacity was also down for UA due to the switchover to SHARES--these capacity reductions YOY are even more dramatic. Combine this with much higher costs in March 2013 and the picture is not looking pretty. Shrinking 5% with fixed costs increasing is not a plan to achieve long term profitability.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Much of the debate since 3/12 was whether UACO would be irreparably damaged by the defections of the self-anointed "elites" and "HVFs" on this board. I agree that the March YOY increase is deceiving given such a poor performance last year, but it is not deceptive on UA's part--reported numbers are reported numbers, and everyone is free to spin them however they want. Moreover, the rebound shows that the minority among us who scoffed at all the "HVF" bluster were right (at least for now ). If these numbers hold up over time, AA's status match of 1K/GS last year just might be their best gift to Smisek.
I think most people stuck with the early stages after 3/3... it will be much more telling to see the YOY performance of Q2 and Q3. The defections started after the hours of wait time and inability to properly integrate their systems.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: United silver, American Platinum, Marriott platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz gold, Avis First
Here's an idea: why not look at year over year performance for February as well as March in terms of percent change and absolute numbers to provide context?

Numbers aren't terribly objective without context. Take a statistician with one foot on hot coals and one foot in a bucket of ice, and ask him how he feels. "On average, I feel fine."

If February's numbers look as good as March, or March's numbers represent a logical extension of an extrapolated trend, then good. If it's a statistical blip or anomaly, then it is either meaningless or bad.

I'm no longer a fan of UA, but classifying those of us that are trying to more objectively understand the context as "haters" is a bit harsh. Debating this single data point as positive or negative, by extension, would group us into "haters" and "apologists" with no middle ground available.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
I think most people stuck with the early stages after 3/3... it will be much more telling to see the YOY performance of Q2 and Q3. The defections started after the hours of wait time and inability to properly integrate their systems.
I'm not sure if you meant it, but if this is true (I don't know enough to agree or dispute it), then you're saying that UACO's 3/12 PRASM was not as artificially low as they were in the following months/quarters. In turn, this means that UACO's 3/13 YOY PRASM is even more startlingly good vis-a-vis the numbers reported by the other carriers.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What I don't understand is how some posters are bashing the numbers by saying they're wrong because "capacity is down". So what? What does PRASM mean? Revenue per available seat mile? It is a number independent of capacity now vs capacity then. It means that UA is getting more revenue per AVAILABLE seat-mile then they were. That's all. Seriously. Some posters want the denominator to stay the same, even though the capacity's been cut?

Again, the airline's problem as a business (but what was good for passengers in terms of upgrades, space, and fares) was over-capacity. Now that airlines are addressing the over-capacity issue to (gee!) make money, the flyers used to the benefits of poorly-run airlines (as a money-making endeavor) are complaining to no end. I certainly would love to have half-empty planes travelling everywhere, 100% upgrades, fares at less than what it costs to fly, etc, but airlines are supposed to make money.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I certainly would love to have half-empty planes travelling everywhere, 100% upgrades, fares at less than what it costs to fly, etc, ...
Yes, but, those were great days to be a 1K globe trotter. ;-)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I'm not sure if you meant it, but if this is true (I don't know enough to agree or dispute it), then you're saying that UACO's 3/12 PRASM was not as artificially low as they were in the following months/quarters. In turn, this means that UACO's 3/13 YOY PRASM is even more startlingly good vis-a-vis the numbers reported by the other carriers.
My point is that taking any one single month of performance (especially in this crazy environment of the merger) does not make any real statement. The facts are better represented by a trend line and (for better or worse) the real trend line starts in Q2 2013. Personally, I gave them until the Fall to right the ship. It didn't happen, so I left.

Of course full year 2014 YOY 2013 will be even more telling... this is a very large company with high revenue. Major shifts are only seen in trend lines- niot one offs. IMHO
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
My point is that taking any one single month of performance (especially in this crazy environment of the merger) does not make any real statement....
I agree. I actually find the March results somewhat unbelievable.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
At the very minimum this has to be a step in the right direction and is positive news. Mr Smisek may have bonus opportunities this year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.